PDA

View Full Version here: : Oh dear - so sadly it's probably true

niko
07-09-2012, 10:14 AM
the blue moon disappoints!

Chris.B
07-09-2012, 10:17 AM
So very very sad.
In the technological age we live in, some people have no idea.

Lee
07-09-2012, 10:17 AM
They walk among us.

Terry B
07-09-2012, 10:25 AM
take note of my signature

supernova1965
07-09-2012, 10:34 AM
This one is even sadder:screwy::rofl:

strongmanmike
07-09-2012, 10:43 AM
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Bluemy!! Mars has a sun and we have a blue moon :eyepop:... better go get ma shot gun, the Yella hordes are'a come'n too :tasdevil:

Larryp
07-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Priceless!

Aidan
07-09-2012, 12:00 PM
My favourite has to be the reference to 300 years, where do you even get a figure like that, when everything else is wrong.. Professor Wikipedia strikes again?

George CARLIN, philospher, comedian and sadly missed.

Varangian
07-09-2012, 12:17 PM
That said, surely each one of those posters knows something or does something that you don't or does something that you can't :)

Everyone has a talent and a meaning.

mental4astro
07-09-2012, 12:49 PM
A person I once knew went to visit a witch-doctor with her husband. She was a Uni graduate, and all her schooling was done here in Oz. The witch-doctor's visit was at her husband's insistance.

The witch-doctor had asked them to bring a quantity of salt to be used in the ceremony. In time, the witch doctor asked for the salt and then threw a generous amount into the fire, and of course nothing happened. The couple was then asked to close their eyes for a particular incantation, and when asked to open again, the witch-doctor threw another generous amount of "their" salt into the fire, and lo-and-behold, the fire erupts in its pit!

<sigh> What disappointed me wasn't the witch-doctor. He was doing his job. What disappointed me was that this friend of mine whole heartedly believes that it was the salt had been altered by the witch-doctor to explode in the way it did by an incantation.

I've left out where the witch-doctor was and the reason for the visit as it has no bearing on the result.

My dad was taken to visit a witch-doctor when he was 13 by his mum. When the 'consultation' finished and my dad and grandmother were on their way home, my dad turned to her and said "don't ever take me to one of these ****'s again!"

Uni graduate 0, little kid 1. :shrug:

TrevorW
07-09-2012, 01:12 PM
All the brains in the word mean nothing unless you have some common sense

It still astounds me at work in an office environment I've still come across highly paid people in senior positions that don't even know what EFT means

Rob P
07-09-2012, 01:17 PM
'Common sense is not so common'

Voltaire

Terry B
07-09-2012, 01:35 PM
This is true but the person that hadn't thought about the concept that Mars has a sun is still a worry (even if it might be blue):P.
I spend my day seeing people from all walks of life with intelligence levels from uni professors to severely diabled. Most are lovely people and most will look at the world in a unique way. Hopefully they can all can contribute to our society. There are some though that worry me that they pass on their genetics and compound the problem.

pmrid
07-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Worse: they breed and vote. Some even own firearms.
Peter

Varangian
07-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Yes I agree it was pretty funny to read.

Larryp
07-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Very scary, Peter!

Rob_K
07-09-2012, 03:09 PM
So is Mars' sun anything like ours?

TrevorW
07-09-2012, 03:12 PM
No it's red

Stardrifter_WA
07-09-2012, 04:30 PM
What is worse is that it is a sad indictment of our school system. :shrug:

Terry B
07-09-2012, 04:57 PM
More important is how many blue moons do they have on mars?

Zhou
07-09-2012, 05:29 PM
The ignorance diplayed in this day and age is profoundly sad and disturbing.

I once knew an university graduate (chemistry no less) that thought the stars shine because of reflected sunlight.

taminga16
07-09-2012, 05:41 PM
My Father always said that we shouldn't be concerned by people such as these and that they are here to make us look as good as we do.
Greg.

Waxing_Gibbous
07-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Blooooooo mooooon..over the osheuuun, blooo moooon shine-un on me......

Varangian
07-09-2012, 09:08 PM
Good philosophy

mithrandir
07-09-2012, 09:22 PM
There is only so much intelligence to go round. IISers have more than their fair share. :)

Ric
08-09-2012, 01:16 AM
That blue moon thing is a crack up :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mars having its own sun is even better. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MattT
08-09-2012, 07:47 AM
Dear oh dear this is the future... and I thought the human race was supposed to be increasing in intelligence...some have missed out big time.

sheeny
08-09-2012, 08:04 AM
"Blue Phobos... wider than a mile..."

Twice as many! Mars has 2!:D

Al.

sheeny
08-09-2012, 08:05 AM
Yep. As a species we have been messing with natural selection for a while...

Al.

clive milne
08-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Notwithstanding the 'bactrian' distribution curve....

Miaplacidus
08-09-2012, 08:21 AM
Some people are so unintelligent. As if cheese is to going to go mouldy all at once right on the dot of 9.58 pm. Give me a break!

It's all there, on page 14 of their Wallace and Grommit text books.

Barrykgerdes
08-09-2012, 09:43 AM
eft is the same as a newt.:thumbsup:
and newt is an abreviation of newtonian:question:
and we all know what a newtonian is, don't we?:question:

Every Acronym has multiple possibilities. They should never be used where the meaning can be misinterpreted.:thumbsup:

SMS (?) talk is even worse

Barry

Miaplacidus
08-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Yeah, I can't agree with the statement that you should only use acronyms if you also know what they stand for. That's a bit like the old paternalistic attitude that you shouldn't drive a motor car unless you can assemble an internal combustion engine, or you shouldn't be allowed to use a computer unless you understand fully how each of its components work.

Language is such a slippery medium, I wouldn't be surprised if many of the words we take for granted began life as acronyms.

Barrykgerdes
08-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Do you really mean that you should use words even though you don't know what they mean? There were many acronyms used when I was going through school that meant almost the opposite as what they are used for in modern abrieviations. However there are many universal acronyms that have been around for over a hundred years and are well known and probably don't need explanation.

As for acronyms getting into language there are hundreds, Sonar, Scuba Gestapo etc that started out as abrieviations of phrases or acronyms

Barry

Miaplacidus
08-09-2012, 03:58 PM
Well, meaning is one thing, while knowing the precise expanded form of an acronym is another.

To which I would then respond, depending, either No, of course not, or Yes, that is exactly what I meant. Except, of course, that the entire concept of "should use" in your original question is, well, not very relevant. Language is what language-users use. There's no "should" about it, and there are no language police to enforce the rules.

Language is a shared delusion in which:
(a) I believe that I know what I mean,
(b) I believe that you know what I mean once I say something,
(c) you believe that you know what I meant once I've said something,
and
(d) vice versa.

:mad:

lol (<= See, I could quite reasonably know that this is an appropriate acronym to use here, even if I didn't know what it derived from, purely from having seen it used in many similar contexts. That wouldn't make me a dummy. That would actually mean that I am pretty smart. It is, after all, precisely how humans learn their first language.)

Terry B
08-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Well said. LOL means "little old lady" to me so it always confused me when written:D

andrew2008
08-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Not as emabarassing as a certain english PM that believed it meant 'lots of love'. Oooops.

Barrykgerdes
09-09-2012, 06:44 AM
OK. The acronym LOL is used extensively
So what does it stand for.
My research has so far come up with nearly 100 phrases

Barry

tlgerdes
09-09-2012, 06:53 AM
Laugh Out Loud :lol:

supernova1965
09-09-2012, 06:54 AM
It used to mean lots of love but it now means laugh out loud

supernova1965
09-09-2012, 06:54 AM
You just beat me

Miaplacidus
09-09-2012, 07:47 AM
LOL is a three letter word which is appropriately typed in response to something that is either humourous or that you at least recognize was intended to be so. It is typed mainly to convey to the person who made the original comment your appreciation — whether genuine or feigned — of this humourous content.

It may, indeed, be thought of as an abbreviation of Laugh Out Loud, however it makes no difference if you don't. This latter is a popular meme, the mythical content of which is still in dispute.

Either way, its use is not subject to patent or licencing. You are free to use it, even if you don't know its derivation, or even, indeed, if you think you do but actually don't...

Erg
11-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Original pix = Trolls much?

Troll (Internet) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)), an internet term for a person who, through willful action, attempts to disrupt a community or garner attention and controversy through provocative messages

Asking not telling :-)

Erg