PDA

View Full Version here: : Eq 8 or?

rustigsmed
04-09-2012, 02:54 PM
G'day, I currently have a 12" sw goto and will soon need to go equatorial ...
I was looking at the new eq8 as could plop my dob onto it (and I'm familiar with the synscan setup). Or should I get something totally different for the same money? (lesser mount and a refractor ).

The attractive thing with the eq8 is that I don't think i will outgrow its carrying capacity but with a smaller mount I may get the urge for more optical power?! :shrug:

Cheers
Rusty

tlgerdes
04-09-2012, 03:13 PM
Honestly, i wouldnt hold your breath waiting for that one. It been longer coming than most religious deities :lol:

rustigsmed
04-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Haha righto, that long!?

tlgerdes
04-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Then you have to add on the time factor to get rid of bugs.

You would be better off going with a more established mount.

bojan
04-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Or build your own ;)

tlgerdes
04-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Well at least that way, you will definately know whether or not your bugs will get fixed. :lol:

Tandum
04-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Russell, i'm also looking at the eq8. I've been told there will be some in the country in December with the major release in March next year. I've asked on the US forums and they have no release dates, prices or any real info at all. It looks like they are releasing a few mounts in Oz and the UK in december as a trial prior to the major release in march.
robin.

rustigsmed
04-09-2012, 11:04 PM
December isn't too far off I guess there might be some reviews then ... Haha if I were to build my own id need science to extend the average lifespan by around 60 years! ... And probably add another 20 to iron out the bugs ;)

Astro_Bot
05-09-2012, 12:28 AM
Me too ..... but only in the way a man 'looks' when walking past a Ferrari dealership. :sadeyes:

From what I've read of the spec and seen in the proyotype videos (assuming something similar) it looks pretty great for the price.