PDA

View Full Version here: : EQ Mount what would be suitable

leon
28-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Hi Folks

Now that i have this huge square hunk of steel to stick into the ground, which will be my new peir, could anybody please suggest what would be the best heavy duty equatorial head i could put on it.

My scope without any accessories attached weighs a little over 16.5 kg's
but will probably weigh more with camera etc.

The scope is home built 200mm F7 Reflector, and due to that the bits and pieces to construct it would weigh more than commercially purchased parts.

i do want a mount that can be used for astro-photography, and it should be of good quality.

So what do other people use, your advice whould be much appreciated.

Thanks....Leon :help:

Starkler
28-04-2006, 08:23 PM
I dare say even an eq6 isnt up to the task, so you'll be looking at big $.

leon
28-04-2006, 08:47 PM
Scope to big you reckon geoff, oh well i thought i would ask, i have to admit it is a little heavy but i thought that there mounts out there that could handle that? but i suppose it's always the same story, $$$$$$$$$

ballaratdragons
28-04-2006, 09:06 PM
Leon, if you are handy with a welder or know someone who can construct for you, you can always copy my home-made mount. It will carry up to a 16" reflector (if not more).

It is HEAVY duty.

Lester
28-04-2006, 09:59 PM
Hi Leon, A mount can't be too rigid. I use a Astro optical supplies "Goliath" german equatorial with 14" Tomas Matthis RA drive. These mounts are not made any more, but there must be some laying around unused. It has 2" solid steel shaft of both axis. I use to have a 16" f4.5 newtonian and 8" SCT on it at the same time, this is inside an observatory which keeps most of the wind away. It is very stable and tracks well.

astro_nutt
28-04-2006, 10:26 PM
Hi Leon,
I once used a Nissan stubaxle I brought from an auto wreacker for the RA portion of an EQ mount. The scope, (10 inch Dob), was held in place in a steel fork mount and this was attached to the stubaxle. I tested the mount and it could handle well in excess of 40 kgs. This mount was used for visual use. I did, however have a motor drive for slewing only.
Good luck with your search!

leon
29-04-2006, 01:09 AM
ken you may see me sooner than you think.
thanks heaps.... leon