PDA

View Full Version here: : eq6 pro computer control

badabing82
25-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Hi All,

I know this has been discussed previously but i was wondering if there has been any updates on this due to newer firmware (i'm running 3.27) etc.

Currently from the search's i've done there are 2 ways to achieve this via ascomm (shoe string ) directly to the mount then connected to a pc or via serial to usb via the hand controller.

Whats everyone's experience with this? if you where to do it from scratch which way would everyone go now?

any potential pitfalls ? pro's/ con's of either method?

Thanks everyone in advance.

Daniel

2stroke
25-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Eqdir cable straight in and running eqmod, its the best way :) I'am still new to eqmod and working things out but love it like crazy. You can run eqmod via the pc to headset to mount though there have being cases of mounts going crazy with old firmware and eqmod warn that it is experimental and mount should be not left along while using it this way. Personally if you have to use a usb to rs232 and its a flaky unit don't do it, i couldn't update firmware with mine and just ended up using a real com to do so due to never ending fails.

Osirisra
25-08-2012, 08:38 PM
I'm running Eqmod with serial to usb plugged into the hand controller and run both my EQ6pro and EQ5pro this way and never had any issues. Advantage of shoestring method is you can get rid of the hand controller out of the equation but you need to get the shoestring.

2stroke
25-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Lol you shouldn't call it a shoestring as your flogging the brand shoestring astronomy, its just a eqdir cable :) This caused me a ton of confusion till i learned a lot of guys sell everything shoestring does, not only that you can build it all for free :)

Barrykgerdes
26-08-2012, 07:52 AM
There are two ways of looking at the problem of controlling the synscan mounts from a computer. If you want to forget about the hand controller and do all your controlling from a computer you need to go the ASCOM/EQMOD way with the EQDIR cable. This will also allow planetarium programs on the computer to display and move the telescope to an object.

If you just want to display the telescope position on the computer and use the programs goto function there is no need to duplicate the controller functions with ASCOM/EQMOD and EQDIR cable. The Synscan controller has all the necessary functions including a through connection to avoid purchasing a separate EQDIR cable. The only reason to go to the EQMOD then is some of the EQMOD add ons that provide other features not in the handset.

I bought a HEQ5 pro mount some time ago to test out all the features of the mount with EQMOD and the synscan controller and also write my own control program and these are my conclusions.

Barry