PDA

View Full Version here: : Best ever Southern Galaxies atlas - Carnegie-Irvine Survey

madbadgalaxyman
22-08-2012, 11:15 AM
A lot of you will be aware of the fact that, when doing a search of the internet, high quality images of many bright southern galaxies are often much harder to find than high quality images of bright northern galaxies.

There has long been a need for a comprehensive collection of good quality images of the entire population of Bright Southern Galaxies.

We are fortunate that such a collection of galaxy images has recently been put online:

The Carnegie-Irvine Galaxy Survey (also known as the CGS)

http://cgs.obs.carnegiescience.edu/CGS

This is a remarkable and comprehensive online Atlas of southern galaxies, containing high quality images...…better still, viewing of the imaging data is free of charge for the general public.

The summary page on the Atlas website states that this Atlas includes images of the 600 brightest galaxies in the southern sky, all of them of Blue magnitude less than 13 .

Therefore, this Atlas of Galaxies includes Good Quality images of a large fraction of those galaxies which southern amateurs are able to image or visually observe in substantial detail!

As a person who is totally obsessed by southern galaxies, I must say that it is wonderful to finally have good images available for the majority of the least frequently imaged and least known bright galaxies in the southern sky; indeed, there are good numbers of southern non-NGC galaxies in this atlas where the primary galaxy identification is the ESO catalog or the IC catalog. These southern ESO and IC objects are often the least known and studied bright galaxies in the sky.....

((
Note 1 : I am not, as yet, familiar with the precise contents and border conditions of the sample of bright galaxies that has been included in this Atlas of Galaxies
Note 2 : This is a magnitude-limited sample of galaxies, so Dwarf and Low Surface Brightness galaxies often do not make it into this Atlas; most of the atlas galaxies are either giant or sub-giant in luminosity.
Note 3 : This atlas includes only a modest number of type S0 and S0/a galaxies. To find more high-quality S0 galaxy images, see the website of the “NIRS0S” survey, which can be found using Google search. You can also use SDSS Skyserver to find good images of large numbers of S0 galaxies.
))

Another very important aspect of this galaxy atlas is that these images are fully calibrated, so that the user can look up observational parameters such as angular diameters & magnitudes & colors of the Atlas galaxies. The authors have derived a great deal of catalog-type numerical data from their images, for each and every galaxy they imaged, and this data can be looked up for each galaxy. This atlas of galaxies includes a lot of numerical data about each galaxy.

For the more scientifically oriented, here is a list of some of the available data that the authors have derived from the galaxy images:
- the radial Surface Brightness profiles of each galaxy as measured in the B & V & R & I filters
- other characteristics of the isophotes of each galaxy , e.g. how the ellipticity and position angle of the galaxy varies with radius
- derived image parameters for each galaxy: ellipticity, angular diameter, apparent magnitude of the galaxy in several bandpasses, galaxy inclination & position angle, surface brightness, etc., etc.
- maps of each galaxy’s colors, showing the variation over the face of the galaxy of color indices such as B-R and R-I
- information about the morphology of each galaxy.

The Carnegie-Irvine Galaxy Survey is indeed a treasure trove for amateur Imagers and Deep Sky Observers. It is also a rich resource for people who want to study a large & calibrated sample of galaxy images in a scientific manner.

Paddy
22-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Truly a magnificent resource. Thanks for posting the link Robert. Great data and images. It will certainly be a great observing guide for me especially when the sky dries out.

RickS
22-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Thanks, Robert. A good source for interesting targets!

madbadgalaxyman
22-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Remarkable how unfamiliar some of this population of galaxies is, especially the IC and ESO objects, especially when compared to the bright galaxy population in the northern hemisphere.

For instance, the IC galaxies which are mainly accessible from southern latitudes are too often ignored by both amateurs and professionals.
(e.g. hardly any papers have been written about them....)
A good example is the large number of IC objects in Pavo, which are largely unknown and for which there had been little reliable data in the catalogs.

The catalog data that comes with the atlas is remarkably comprehensive, and could be useful to observers, so if any of you need help in deciphering the arcane symbols and jargons in the data tables, just drop me a line.

allan gould
22-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Robert - an extraordinary resource. Many thanks for posting.

astroron
22-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Than you Robert:thanx:
Such great information.
Cheers:thumbsup:

Zubenel
22-08-2012, 05:41 PM
You"ve struck Gold here :thumbsup::thanx:

PeterM
22-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Robert this is such a good find and yet another fab resource. Thanks indeed. The image of NGC5967 is stunning, much better than any reference I had when I discovered SN2009gd in it.

glenc
24-08-2012, 02:25 AM
Thanks Robert. I like NGC 986 http://cgs.obs.carnegiescience.edu/CGS/object_html_pages/NGC986.html

madbadgalaxyman
24-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Agreed, Glenc, NGC 986 is a very interesting galaxy!!

Not as well known as the southern barred spirals NGC 2442 and NGC 1097, both of which are high enough in surface brightness to really see the overall structure very well in visual observations.

I characterized the morphology of NGC 986 in the following post, together with plenty of images at various wavelengths:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=75892&highlight=NGC+986

cheers,
Robert

Another critical resource for the study of southern galaxies is the online version of the De Vaucouleurs Atlas of Galaxies:

http://bama.ua.edu/~rbuta/devatlas/imagedatabase.html (http://bama.ua.edu/%7Erbuta/devatlas/imagedatabase.html)
You can find an image of N986 in the supplementary non-atlas galaxies.

And here is yet another resource with a good image of NGC 986,
the online (scanned) version of the Carnegie Atlas of Galaxies, which was the best 'on paper' atlas of galaxies before the current generation of online image databases:

http://new.astronote.org/bbs/board.php?bo_table=usergallery
Just click on the NGC and IC ranges, in the sidebar, to bring up not only the atlas images, but also the late and very great Alan Sandage's expert commentary about each galaxy!!
These are extremely high quality scans of the non-electronic images in the original atlas.