PDA

View Full Version here: : Replacing the base for a Meade Lightbridge

Dave2042
19-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Hi all

My 12" Lightbridge base is buggered - particle board plus water. To be honest I'm astounded something so cheap has lasted so well.

Anyway, I'm now looking at options for replacement and would be grateful for any advice from the wiser and more experienced.

I see three potential options:

Try to get a replacement part from Meade, and then go to town on waterproofing it. I'm dubious about whether this will work - particle board is still particle board.
Build my own from sturdy materials. The drawback here is that I am not handy. In fact I'm fairly clueless about drills and saws and stuff. On the other hand, my wife is very handy and may consent to assist.
Find someone out there who makes quality bases for a reasonable price. While this would be ideal, my initial research seems to suggest that quality manufacturers really only supply the whole base + scope package, which seems understandable to me.

Any feedback welcome.

Dave

White Rabbit
20-08-2012, 09:09 AM
I had the same problem with mine. I made a cardboard cut or of the lazy susan bearing from a case of bear (mmm bear), and slapped on on either side of it to give the whole thing a bit of lift and it worked a treat. Good as new.

Dave2042
20-08-2012, 09:42 AM
That's actually what I've already done (great minds?) but it's expanded again since and the central bolt arrangement for the Argo Navis doesn't look like its going to reach much further. Maybe I should think about this a bit more, though.

Thanks

astronut
20-08-2012, 11:59 AM
Gentlemen, I've had my 12" LB for 6 1/2 years. I took the advice of a close friend and telescope maker and applied superglue to all of the edges of the mount.
As long as the surface is not damaged in use or transport, this will keep your mount from any water related problems.
Mine is still in excellent condition.
If you are an "incompetent" with tools, there is a company in the US that makes bases for all dobs, including the Lightbridges.
Here is the link (https://commerce7.pair.com/resource/astro.html/FirstBase/index.html) :)

White Rabbit
22-08-2012, 06:56 AM
Interesting, thanks for the link.