PDA

View Full Version here: : Spring is in the air ...

ZeroID
14-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Well, my garden thinks so. :D Been pretty mild over here, short lived winter and the garden has decided to go for it. Here's the Dwarf Magnolia tree exploding with daffies and some other pink and white things at the bottom. Orion is on the rise and will soon be available. Brilliant conjunction of the moon and Venus this morning about 6am( sorry, no pic )

Baddad
14-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Yes Brent,

Spring is well and truly here just 45 mins N of Brisbane CBD.

The Plovers have already had young. The plum, peach, nectarine and several other trees are in full blossom.

The noisy minors/miners/mynahs, (choose one) are at the height of driving away the Magpies and Kookaburras.

Blue faced honey eaters are nesting in the palms.
Birds are all quarrelling with neighbouring species. Daytime activity is at its annual peak.

I've noticed ants have been doing their nest swarming as well.

I like this time of year in SE Qld. The temperatures are mild through the day. Cool at night.

September and October, warm dry and comfortable.

Spring is here.

Cheers

Astro_Bot
14-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Yes, after their "winter holiday" the ants are becoming exploratory again. And the grass is growing and once more needs a regular mow ... :(

Gem
14-08-2012, 07:50 PM
It was minus 4 when I walked to work this morning... you guys are rubbing it in!!! :(

FlashDrive
14-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Yeah .... It's just not on hey Astro ...I don't like it either :(

Zero ... Nice colour in your back yard Mate ..!!

Flash ;)

pgc hunter
14-08-2012, 11:30 PM
Spring? What's that?

ZeroID
15-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Marty > Ours are the Tuis making territory noises and fights. Scaring off anything else.
Bit wet for our ants yet but definitely warmer.

Baddad
15-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Hey Grant,:)

So they do they make thermometers that measure minus temperatures?

We don't have those in Qld. :lol:

Brent> I have heard the Tui calls. I visited South Island of NZ a few years ago, September. The snow was melting in many places. Very wet, yes.

Cheers

ZeroID
16-08-2012, 09:54 AM
Hi Marty, yeah the tuis are very melodic and extremely good imitators. One round here makes car door locking 'bloops' and house alarm sounds.
No snow round our place, just rain but we're on the side of a porous volcano, scoria rocks and soil so it just dissappears down into the aquifer below and turns up in the local Lake.
Great in winter but in summer the garden dries out very quickly.