PDA

View Full Version here: : W'7 libraries.. how to disable?

bojan
09-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Is there a way to disable that "feature" from w7 that is only confusing for me? In w help, they are talking about creating new libraries (Like I really want another one..) but not getting rid of them. Existing classical file/subfolder system is good enough for me.

Thanks in advance!

Tandum
09-08-2012, 12:42 PM
It would be a registry hack to remove it from Explorer. Look it up in google and you get something like this (http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-disable-and-remove-libraries-from-windows-7-explorer/). Dunno if it works, be careful.

They are just short cuts to groups of directories and are pretty harmless. I have one that points to Astro files and includes folders from different computers. I find em handy.

bojan
09-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Thanks, I will try that :thumbsup:

Tandum
09-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Might be wise to make a fresh restore point or even a system image before screwing around with shell settings in the registry.

bojan
09-08-2012, 01:03 PM
Too late.. but it worked ;)
Now I want to get rid of "favourites" and the explorer will really look like W Classic.

Tandum
09-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Google will point you there too (http://www.askvg.com/how-to-remove-favorites-from-windows-7-explorers-navigation-pane/).

The problem with these hacks is, you don't know what else they will break. Eventually something will come along looking for those links and everything will crash in a heap.

Get an image before launching into any of these hacks. ( go to start/all programs/maintenance/backup and restore. then create a system image. You'll need winpro or better to put that image on a network drive.)

[edit]
And that first one, the library one, had a .reg script to reverse it. I've attached that restore script.

Barrykgerdes
10-08-2012, 09:47 AM
Windows 7 has lots of terrible new features as well as these that I want to get rid of.

It took me 3 years to install XP but I found that to be quite user friendly in a few weeks.

I have had Windows 7 for three years and find it the most user unfriendly version yet. Tasks that were done with a single key stroke now need two or three after you get permission! and if you can find the new command syntax. At least my original version had IE8 and I never allowed an update to the atrocious IE9. However my later versions on newer computers have IE9 embedded and can't be reverted so I use firefox now.

Barry

bojan
10-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Yes..
One of the most annoying is automatic full screen mode for window, and it's activated as soon as you are near the edge of the screen.. which is quite often on my Lenovo laptop.
I will never understand why on earth they are changing stuff that was proven to work well, and that was accepted by users. New look is confusing enough.. different functionality is really annoying.
At least those things should be configurable.. I don't want my computer to be in charge instead of me.

Thanks for that - I hope I'll never have to use it ;)

Tandum
10-08-2012, 10:54 AM
You won't need to deal with it for long, Windows 8 is Released to Manufacturers this week :rofl:

Barrykgerdes
10-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Hi bojan

After three years with Windows 7 I found out how to stop the full screen nuisance.

Go to control personalisation and tick the box (or untick it I am using XP at the moment and can't check). I think it is the last box on the page.

Barry

bojan
10-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Oh dear.. here we go again.. :confused2:

bojan
10-08-2012, 11:12 AM
I cant find it..

EDIT: found it !
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/disable-the-mouse-drag-window-arranging-feature-in-windows-7/

Barrykgerdes
10-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Hi Bojan

I am on the Windows 7 computer now

I have the correct information to stop the mouse from causing full screen at the edges.

It is in personalisation-ease of access centre-make the mouse easier to use
tick the last box.

Also in control I change the View by: settings (top RH corner) to small icons. It looks more like windows classic.

If what has been said about windows 8 is true. I get the impression that Windows 7 will seem great!

Barry

bojan
10-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Thanks mate, great help! :thumbsup:

Well, the way things are going, most likely I won't have to use w8 at all...
unless all my laptops break down.. in which case I have XP installation disk :D
This Lenovo is "official", from work..

ZeroID
10-08-2012, 11:46 AM
IE9 is an Update for IE8. If you go to Programs and Features and select Updates on the left side it is listed down towards the bottom and can be uninstalled.
Needed this to get software at work to function. It was IE9 incompatible, browser based documentation..

Tandum
10-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Yes and Yes (http://www.cnet.com.au/windows-8-enters-rtm-phase-right-on-schedule-339340980.htm):rofl:

And it comes with IE10 :rolleyes:

Barrykgerdes
10-08-2012, 12:52 PM
Thanks Robin. I tried that once before and did not see any reference to IE9 because I did not wait long enough for the list to load.

Barry

ZeroID
13-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Robin .. ??

No problem Batman ... :lol: Zap ! Powie !

JohnH
18-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Surley the worst was Vista....quite how M$oft manage to continue to pump out this cr4p beats me given the money they spend on development, the techs must be in thrall to the marketing types (who want "differenciators" and value form over function)...and, oh yes I forgot, quasi-monopoly power ensures they do not suffer for putting out a dogs dinner of a UI.

2stroke
18-08-2012, 07:28 PM
For sure vista blew big time but it was the tech that built win7, like win2k then xp and even win95 and win98. Windows 8 seems like bs made for tablets from what ive herd.