PDA

View Full Version here: : Send your name to ....

pberrett
08-08-2012, 09:46 PM
HI all

As you may be aware the major space agencies (NASA, JAXA etc) periodically provide opportunities for people to submit their name over the Internet to go into space. The names are etched onto computer chips which are attached to the spacecraft.

Is anyone aware of any such current missions? The last I submitted my name for was the Curiosity Rover and I'm looking for more spacecraft to go exploring on.

cheers Peter

ZeroID
09-08-2012, 08:51 AM
I think I'm 'on' the moon and one of the earlier Mars explorers and the Cassinni probe as well. Nothing on the launch pad at present and I don't think I want to be associated with any Russian attempts, they keep on being 'suboptimal' as my wife says. :lol:

jjjnettie
09-08-2012, 09:19 AM
If there are any missions coming up that you can "send your name on", someone usually posts the link here on IIS. :)
It's a great way to get kids and big kids interested in following the mission.

Zhou
09-08-2012, 02:46 PM
I am currently orbiting Vesta; looking forwards to seeing Ceres.

Name submitted to the Dawn mission back in 2006.

ZeroID
10-08-2012, 10:33 AM
So whats the weather like ? Any Clouds ?? :D

kustard
10-08-2012, 03:10 PM
I put my family's names on Curiosity and also on the New Horizons one that is about 3 years away from Pluto. I may have put it on the Cassini one, I'd have to hunt around for the certificate.

My daughter proudly took her Mars Lander certificate to school on Wednesday (she was off on Tuesday) and showed everyone for her news :)