PDA

View Full Version here: : It didn't take long for the idiots to come out

sjastro
07-08-2012, 12:37 PM
The expected "Curiosity landing is a hoax" garbage is out in force.

Here is a typical example.

Regards

Steven

DavidU
07-08-2012, 12:44 PM
LOL !:lol:

Osirisra
07-08-2012, 12:52 PM
facepalm

iceman
07-08-2012, 12:53 PM
That's just trolling. Whether they believe what they write or not, they're no doubt doing it for the reaction they're going to get.

MrB
07-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Exactly Mike.
I would be great if no-one ever answered these types of posts and the originators were left scratching their head why they got nothing but silence.

sjastro
07-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Perhaps this is an example of trolling but let's face it there are people out there who genuinely believe the Curiosity landing is a hoax, as much as the Apollo moon landings were a hoax, or climate change is a hoax.

A friend of mine alerted me that on one of Melbourne's radio stations 3AW, a listener claimed the Curiosity landing was a hoax "as the fuel tank was too large". Obviously this luddite doesn't know that Curiosity is powered by a plutonium oxide generator, but it serves to illustrate that ignorance can lead to conspiracy theories.

Regards

Steven

mozzie
07-08-2012, 02:59 PM
peanut !!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Waxing_Gibbous
07-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Harmless muck stirring?
Perhaps.
But remember: These people are allowed to vote and breed.
God have mercy.

strongmanmike
07-08-2012, 03:19 PM
I wonder how such a trolling mesage is transmittted around the WWW :question:...Cob and Co...? Better get in my car and use my fake NavMan to get to my secret hidehout and send a Facebook meassage out on my fake mobile phone to the World via a hoax uplink to hoax satellites to warn people...of this hoax....

Dave2042
07-08-2012, 03:23 PM
That's a pretty outdated view in my humble opinion.

The Enlightenment is already over. As the Endarkenment proceeds, these people will return to their rightful place as the rulers of all.

It is we who are still allowed to vote and breed, despite our wrong-headed attachment to logic and evidence.

I accept this and, out of respect, do not interfere with their right to choose one of their own to lead them, by voting myself.

And I keep my ear to the ground so that I will know when it is finally necessary to destroy my telescope and any evidence I ever had one.

Colin_Fraser
07-08-2012, 03:41 PM
You cannot blame some people from being sceptical and calling this sort of thing a hoax.
They just have not forgotten the events of last century when the human race was terrorised for years by so-called computer programmers, scientists and mathematicians.
Remember the Millenium Bug? Remember when all computer controlled devices on the planet were going to fail.
The perpetrators made a squillion dollars out of that scare campaign.

Rob_K
07-08-2012, 03:42 PM
It's not all trolling, check out this smugly-satisfied mob from the loopy US Christian fundamentalist Right, complete with "flat-Earth", "Earth-on-pillars", "Moon landing hoax" etc etc, and the inevitable deluded replies from their brainwashed progeny:
http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=81016

Cheers -

multiweb
07-08-2012, 03:49 PM
:eyepop: :lol:

Do these people realy exist? Have you read their disclaimer?

"The information presented here is Biblically accurate. Opinions concerning the technical difficulties, fitness requirements, safety, and ratings of self-crucifixion, flagellation, stoning, destroying enemies of GOD utterly, without mercy, and other activities inherent in Christianity are subjective and may differ from yours or others' opinions; therefore be warned that you must exercise your own judgment as to the difficulty and your ability to safely protect yourself from the inherent risks and dangers."

What a crack up... :nerd:

sjastro
07-08-2012, 03:52 PM
OMG.:eyepop:
BTW can they use the term OMG over there?

This is like a film so badly made that it turns into a comedy classic.:lol:

Regards

Steven

PS This is almost as bad as the Electric Universe.

Dave2042
07-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Landover Baptist is indeed satire. That said, it is quite hard to distinguish from the real thing.

jjjnettie
07-08-2012, 07:00 PM
LOL The Landover crew are great.
The Onion is another favourite.
What's really funny is when an unsuspecting fundie quotes them. :)

mithrandir
07-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Colin, I assume you are trolling too.

As one of the IT people who started on Y2K preparations in 1985, I can unequivocally say many of the issues were real. Sure there were scare merchants - who really cared if your home PC suddenly thought it was 1900 - but in the financial, legally constrained world where I work the changes had to be made.

sjastro
07-08-2012, 07:49 PM
As Dave points out these days it's difficult to differentiate satire from the real thing.

Is this guy being satirical or is he serious?
http://www.rickpotvin.com/2012/08/nasa-faked-apollo-shuttle-and-space.html

Anyone who asks the question that since Curiosity is using a plutonium oxide reactor then why aren't cars powered the same way, is either an idiot or a comedian.:shrug:

Regards

Steven

bojan
07-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Reminds me of Seinfeld and his style of humour.

I wouldn't worry about those.. There is a niche in the web to make money with things like this and since today we live in market economy, it shouldn't be a surprise some people are trying this kind of things.

If it is moral to sell various useless vitamin supplements and even advertise them on TV every 5 minutes, why we are surprised with this?
The guy is just trying to make a quick buck, and he is using perfectly legal ways to do it. It is the "values" of the society around us that are to blame.. people like this one are only the product of the trend.
Just remember Richard Hoagland and his "Mars face".. and "new physics".. I had endless discussions with my then boss in NEC, just prior the proper photographs of the region that debunked the whole thing.. and he had to admit the defeat (but not lightly... poor guy.. but also not quite, because those who are saying today the Mars landing is fake, probably said then that NASA destroyed the Mars Face, not to loose the face).

There is market for literary anything today.

Benno18
07-08-2012, 08:45 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: love this one :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl :

Fake image of Curiosity landing (even a child can see it is fake, and if it would be real, as NASA claims, then what or who made this picture...):

Well sir i think it could have been one of those artists that we keep hearing about. you know the ones that use their imaginations to create a picture of what something may look like......

Colin_Fraser
08-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Assume what you like Andrew. I just gave an example of what happened in the past as a possible reason why some people are sceptical.

Don't think I fit that description.

tlgerdes
08-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Sorry Colin, I think your comments do fit.

Like Andrew, I was involved in the Y2K preparations, and only due to the preparations made by many 100s of thousands of people, we turned a critical event into a non-event, and because we did our work properly, correctly and efficiently, we created a hoax.:screwy:

Colin_Fraser
08-08-2012, 06:07 PM
Trevor,
That is how some people saw it. A non-event. That is probably why they are sceptics. They read about a looming problem, then they worry and when it does not affect them, they say "what was all the fuss about"
I too was involved in the issue. My task at the time was to ensure all the PLC's in our workplace complied. Took months of modifying code on the run yet the machine operators did not notice any difference so they could not understand what the fuss was about either. So I guess you could call them sceptics as well.

Paul Haese
08-08-2012, 07:48 PM
I heard an interview today about this event. What was not highlighted was that this entire landing happened on remote. The delay means that nothing is live and responses could not be made; it all had to be controlled by programming and engineering. A stunning event and bodes well for an interesting future.

Only an infantile knucklehead would think it was faked. My question is why would it be faked????

Waxing_Gibbous
09-08-2012, 03:46 PM
I fear you are correct.
One of our local councillors - who has gone to Uni, didn't know what "indigent" meant.
He thought I was talking about Aboriginies.
A nurse employed by a friend of mine wanted to join MSF. She didn;t know where Darfur was and thought Africa is where S. America is.

Many years ago I read a short story in OMNI magazine about a world like this.
Scientists, engineers, doctors etc. were effectively the servants of the Bogan classes and only allowed to live in certain compounds and could only be employed by someone with a higher degree in something like Fishing or Trail Riding.
Scary.

'Course I'm not immune.
I went to buy some shoes recently. I asked what colours they came in and was told "Blue, Camel and Nun"
What colour's "Nun" I asked.
"It's more of a concept than a colour" the salesgirl pointed out :lol:
D'oh!

Baddad
09-08-2012, 04:09 PM
Hi Peter,:)

Unbelievable, almost. "It's more of a concept than a colour" the salesgirl pointed out".

Nun? I still don't know what colour that is.
And Camel, I've seen black, white, dark brown and beige. I find that kind of talk to be a poor attempt at appearing to be intelligent.

You found a bright one there, ;) Peter. (sarcasm):lol:

Hi Paul,

My question is why would it be faked????

The reason the USA sceptics give is, " Obama has claimed to have spent billions on the project and is really using the funds for ulterior purposes.".

Yes I agree the reasoning lacks substance. However that is the level of their logic. I shudder with goose bumps to think that many of these people have driver's licences.:eyepop:

Cheers

graham.hobart
09-08-2012, 04:09 PM
I remember Blue Nun wine in the 70's, was that a concept too?
Graham

mithrandir
09-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Marty, it's worse than that. They are a waste of oxygen.

Dave2042
09-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Hmmm. I'm not a programmer so I don't really know, but...

On the one hand I worked in finance at the mathematical end at the time (lots of computer dependence), and the fear that this would be a problem was very real and didn't seem to me at the time to be totally without foundation. I also got the sense that the people doing the work fixing it were doing so in good faith, and didn't feel they were participating in a scam.

On the other hand, afterwards, the Economist made the following point. Most industrialised nations spent vast sums on the exercise and moved heaven and earth, and nothing went wrong - so far so good. However Italian government and business largely shrugged their shoulders and did nothing, and... nothing went wrong.

I think I'd characterise this as a massive over-reaction rather than a scam. For the avoidance of doubt, I'm counting myself as a guilty party here.

Dave2042
09-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Are you sure he didn't know what you meant? If he did, it's still a depressingly common view.

And as for Nun, I think she meant black, as in "Nun more black". (Spinal Tap, anyone?)

PCH
09-08-2012, 06:13 PM
Hmmm..Peter

Aboriginies .... similar to Aborigines but with three eyes instead of two ?

Regulus
09-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Yeah it's a scream that web site. It's like a live to air comedy routine having a shot at fundamentalist christians and televangelists.
Very funny stuff.

ourkind
10-08-2012, 12:44 AM
Worse still GUNS :screwy:

Waxing_Gibbous
10-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Ty
ping without my glssses.
Sirry.

Barrykgerdes
10-08-2012, 11:29 AM
I think the indigent comes from India

Anyhow I think we can all be referred to as indigent (needy, poor) these days.

If indigenous is meant then I claim to be a native of Australia after Five generations. If I try to go to another country that is how I am classified.

Barry

TrevorW
12-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Ask them to scan the high resolution images of the Martian landscape inch by inch, there is not a tin can or bottle top to be seen and as everyone knows their virtually not a place on earth that man's been where some form of rubbish hasn't been left behind

Benno18
12-08-2012, 06:05 PM
If you have a bit of a search on the website you will find a thread which claims to have de-bunked the forces of gravity and explains why the world is flat..........

still scratching my head at this one:question:

jenchris
12-08-2012, 09:23 PM
I was walking along minding my own business picking my nails with my flick knife, I have no idea how it got indigent wearing the bowler hat.

Blue Nun wine - are you sure that's not an oxymoron?

Omaroo
12-08-2012, 10:59 PM
According to Heston Blumenthal, Blue Nun makes an acceptable sparkly if you pop it through a Soda Stream.

Not sure I'd risk it still.

naskies
12-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Duh... of course it was faked. Here's photographic proof!