PDA

View Full Version here: : What does not live...

Waxing_Gibbous
02-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Yet will not die!!!
Just got my '05 Subaru Forrester back from the shop.
The service manager has been sending his kids to private school (abroad) since we bought this thing.
In the past 4 years (3 years and six months after we bought it) it's been in 18 times for any number of niggling, drastic or potentially lethal faults - all of which are unrelated.
Always it soldiers on for about three months then develops some other defect that was usually found only in North Korean cars of the 70s.
It always sets me back too much money, yet not enough to justify sending it over a cliff or paying some yobbo to steal it. It has the trade-in value of a log and my insurer is gonna know I'm trying to pull a fast one if it catches fire.
So its probably with me until one of us dies.

My question is:
What have you got that fits this criterion?
Something so faulty or rubbish that you wish someone would steal it, yet you must hang onto it because there's no realistic alternative.

Idle teenagers and defective spouses not eligible :D.

Matt Wastell
02-08-2012, 06:32 PM
My match stick house in Brisbane! Small, costly repairs, hard to renovate due to weird period council laws.....but it is home!

Astro_Bot
02-08-2012, 06:32 PM
A Telstra T-Box. Buggiest piece of **** I've ever had the displeasure to own.

Regarding the Forrester: clearly you were bad in a past life and this is your punishment. :P

Waxing_Gibbous
02-08-2012, 06:40 PM
You know, I'm beginning to wonder......

DavidU
02-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Pete, that sounds worse than my Jag, and that's bad !

blink138
02-08-2012, 09:42 PM
it sounds like you got a "friday afternoon" car there mate.... unfortunately can still happen!
pat

jenchris
02-08-2012, 10:17 PM
I've got an 86 Navarra - hasn't been in the shop since 1990 (when I got it)

Forester eh? Well there ya go bud.

Barrykgerdes
03-08-2012, 08:01 AM
I will have my first car expense in six years today. A new set of tyres, my garage man says I will need them for rego this year.

Incidently the amount of tread is still at a level we would have called new new in 1952 when tyres were very expensive and in short supply.

Barry

Baddad
03-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Hi Peter,

Write a letter listing the repair details and problems to Subaru Customer Services.

It may not achieve anything but then again it may.
I personally know first hand where a friend/owner of a Kawasaki M/C had the bike rebuilt.

Companies do not like to have their products instigate negative exposure.
A car of that age, you'd expect to be more reliable.

Hope it goes well for you.

Cheers:)

AstralTraveller
03-08-2012, 11:24 AM
I used to walk past a house (on a fairly busy road) that had a near-new Merc A-Class in the drive. They had lemon stickers on it and stickers which read 'This A-Class is a Lemon'. Their tale of woe (I forget the details) made it into the local paper. I don't know what happened in the end but you can see how Merc may have been a bit touchy. To be fair, you should try to get satisfaction through more appropriate channels before going the public humiliation route.

Waxing_Gibbous
03-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Marty
Alas, we boght it second-hand and off warranty.
It does seem to be a 'Friday Arvo' vehicle though as all the other Subarus around here seem to function well enough.

On the up-side, my 17 year-old Hilux and 20 year old 911 function flawlessly (praise God, touch wood, cross fingers).

We also had a Nissan Pulsar that we drove from Melbourne to Cape York over some of the skankiest roads in the country.
It was my company car and could therefore be thrashed mercilessly!
It never missed a beat, though the seats were chronically uncomfortable after about 200 miles.

gregbradley
03-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Regarding the Forrester: clearly you were bad in a past life and this is your punishment. :P[/QUOTE]

Funniest post I have read in a long time!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Greg.

ZeroID
03-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Unusual, Subies are normally pretty good. I had an Outback for 4 years and other than tyres, battery and the cam belt it never let me down. Saved my 'life' once when it got tail ended by a taxi ( Ford !! ) Between the towbar and the rear bumper the taxi was dead, radiator punctured, front cross member bent and his front bumper fell off !! :lol: I just drove off with a slightly bent rear door and bumper brackets. The boot well was a bit distorted but that was it...
We've got Mitsi VR4's with twin turbos etc now and they are pretty good although they need servicing every 5000 km. Turbos need GOOD oil at the bearings !!
Reliable, go Toyota or Nissan, my first company car went for 240,000 km and the engine bay was still clean. Did 180,000 on the old 2.2 Camry and never touched it.
I do think that your service history is unusual though. :confused2:

lacad01
03-08-2012, 04:18 PM
That's a bummer Peter :(. I had a mid 80's Subaru Leone which I bought from a friend about 15 years ago. Apart from new clutch and brakes, the beast just kept going and going.

mithrandir
03-08-2012, 05:19 PM
SHMBO had a Liberty which would simply cut out at random times. For instance while waiting to turn right at the very busy lights on the way to school.

A few Subaru dealers looked at it and could never fix it. Left to cool for a few minutes, or tipping a bottle of water over something or other (forget what bit it was) and it would start and probably run for the rest of the day.

She gave up and traded it for an Elantra which never had a problem in 7 years.

clive milne
03-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Peter... buy a Ducati (preferably one of the old bevel drives) and ride it for a year.
You will see your Forrester in a whole new light after enduring such punishment.

ourkind
04-08-2012, 02:56 AM
Why on earth did I ever I agree to this :screwy:

Car-wise owned a BMW, Saab (don't even start) and now a Merc and I've never had an issue + all were non expensive to service, all those stories about it being so are just that, stories.

:driving:

The Mekon
04-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Have never thought highly of Subarus

The old fellow I look after has an 04 Forester. Developed a thud-thud on acceleration. Centre diff gone. Over $2000 in repairs. Car has only done 150k. Believe this is a "common problem" - Look out if this has not happened to yours yet.

Now our Toyota Prado 180k. Never been in a professional shop except for tyres and broken windscreens. Off road all the time. Still going strong. Can't kill it with a stick.

RB
04-08-2012, 10:14 AM
We were under the assumption that the Subarus were fairly reliable until we did some checking. Stayed right away from them.

We recently replaced our Toyota Sahara '92 model with a newer Toyota Landcruiser.
The old Sahara has done over 500,000 km and going well, but time to sell her.

Glad I didn't go the Subaru route.

Andrew

Waxing_Gibbous
04-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Been there, done that. ;)
Weirdly enough, it - a 1979 750 - was one of the most reliable vehicles I ever owned. Only had one electrical fault which was fixed with some silicone sealer.
Another almost fault-free vehicle was a 1980 Alfa-Romeo Spyder I bought at a police auction!!
Actually, I seem to luck-out on all the supposedly dodgy cars and bikes.
So if anyone is thinking of buying an exotic something-or-other, give me a call and I'll "douse" it for you.:)

Baddad
04-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Hi Peter,:)

Does not matter if you purchased second hand. Manufacturers are funny people. Still write a letter to them. They like to keep customers happy.

You don't lose anything apart from a stamp and a little time. They may come the party and help. Even just for some advertising. They spend millions on that each year.

Cheers:)

[1ponders]
04-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Suzuki JX Vitara '93. Just about to clock up 300,000. Does around 100km / week 4wd dirt driving (just to and from work). Soft top so you you could grow veggies in the back if the light could get through the plastic windows :P. I keep servicing it and replacing niggling things but the thing just won't die. One soft top latch held shut with velcro ;) Radio and CD player won't work. Might have something to do with the weeds that occassionally try to grow out of the dust that's in there.

I'm going to miss it when it does go, but I don't think the dog will:rundog: