PDA

View Full Version here: : A second scope

NCC-2893
31-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Hi all. I'm thinking of getting a second scope and would like to get a small newt. Space and cost are factors hence no dobs or expensive refractors. As I love doing a bit of photography as well (camera straight on my mount) but realise my mak. is far to slow to use with the camera, I was kind of hoping a 6 or 8 inch f4 or 5 newt would do. Any thoughts appreciated. Cheers

ZeroID
01-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Define 'Photography' ..... DSO, Planetary, Lunar, Solar ? They all have different parameters and scope requirements.
I would have thought the Mak was capable optically but maybe tracking would be the issue for long exposures.

Nico13
01-08-2012, 12:02 PM
What size is the Mak? As Brent mentioned tracking would be the main issue that would stop you using the Mak and it would also be an issue with a small Newt unless you are doing very short Exp

NCC-2893
01-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Thanks guys. I should have been a little clearer. In a few weeks I'll be getting an eq5 mount and I have someone that will take my alt-az.. So I've always wanted a reflector as I have fond memories of playing around with the old mans one as a kid. So, I'm thinking that I might as well get something that is conducive to taking shots of the odd dso to complement my widefield tripod photography. I just realized I said in previous post camera on mount. I meant tripod. As I gather the mak is too slow I would hope a fast newt might do. Sorry for the confusion. Cheers.