PDA

View Full Version here: : Windows Server ...

Tandum
31-07-2012, 12:26 AM
Windows Server ... Windows Server ... Windows Server (in black eyed pies overture)

I've been doing computer work for years and years and normally suggest unix servers for SME and they work well, too well. Income was dropping off, calls outs dropped to an all time low, we almost collapsed.

Along comes windows server. Every wanker and his dog is moving their software to windows. Even quickbooks and Myob now require a windows environment just to share the data files.

I've picked up half a dozen new businesses and put windows Servers into the half that didn't have them.

Saw a guy today that knows someone that got one of my unix servers. I haven't head from that unix guy in six years. The new guy is getting a Windows Server :) I'll hear from him monthly :)

windows servers Windows Servers windows servers ... love em .....

silv
31-07-2012, 04:57 AM
:lol:

mithrandir
31-07-2012, 10:44 PM
You might love them if you are getting paid for every repair job.

One Windows server costs us as much to maintain as about six *nix servers. They have much more downtime since by contract they have to get security patches whenever they come out - at least once a month. When you have thousands of boxes it really adds up.

BPO
01-08-2012, 07:33 AM
As much as it kills me to admit it, Windows Server works quite well on low load applications. Of course, you can say the same about *nix, but if for some reason you are forced to use the Windows Server NOS and it's a low load system, then you'll probably be okay.

Now heavy-duty mission-critical systems... I do not envy those who are forced to try and keep such systems running on Win Server by clueless IT manager drones who had the usual 4-hour liquid lunch with MS sales people.