PDA

View Full Version here: : Astronomy Fairs and regular price reductions?

silv
30-07-2012, 04:58 PM
Hey :)

Do you know whether there are astronomy fairs in the world which are used to present new gear not yet on the market -
and in the aftermath of such a fair the prices drop of previous product versions?

I know photography and computers had such fairs at such and such date (in Germany) - and it was good to wait until after those known dates to get a bargain by buying just shortly after such a fair when retailers were emptying their shelves for the new models.

thanks. :)

Octane
30-07-2012, 05:00 PM
I think NEAF in the US is one of them?

No idea about any down here, though.

H

silv
31-07-2012, 04:44 AM
cheers mate :)
I'm sure the manufacturers need empty shelves down under, too -
or don't retailers get new models here. hmm.

ZeroID
31-07-2012, 09:02 AM
I think it's a lot more infrequent and not apparent down here regardless for astro gear. I read and weep at the offerings on CloudySkies even at USD prices. I hate it when the listing says 'CONUS Only' ...

I'm contemplating a CANON DSLR for astro pix and waiting for the next iteration of models from them to see what it does for the second hand market.

Geez, this astro photog stuff is a money pit, I should have stuck to rally cars, I reckon it was probably cheaper !!

silv
31-07-2012, 10:47 AM
let us weep together. :)

I was pondering a journey to california to buy some stuff.
but I can't really justify the cost for flight, rental car, lodging -or can I ? :D

I googled the fairs NEAF, ATT and others.
If anything, after the fairs' dates this year, the price for HEQ5 has risen in NZ by 300$ . go figure.

there's one in September.
will wait until October with any new purchase and watch the prices of the current models.

re your Canon: the Photokina used to cause a camera sale of "old" (that is "current") models. It's going to be hosted in September. http://www.photokina.com/en/photokina/home/index.php

Octane
31-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Eagerly awaiting Photokina, too.

Perhaps a high resolution monster from Canon in the offering? :)

H

silv
04-08-2012, 08:13 AM
I noticed that some astro items are now advertised as "being shipped from September/October".
Also, Vixen gives away a second mount head when buying a GP2 (can't remember exactly, now). As if that 2nd mount head has to get off the shelves for a new model?
It's really worth it to wait for October and see how that develops.