PDA

View Full Version here: : EQ6 Pro Mount & Cooler Box

solissydney
26-07-2012, 12:04 PM
HI.
Problem, after having turned on the mount, and then, turning on my cooler box
that draws 2.7 amps, the mount light starts flashing.
The first time I tried using a computer supply the wires melted. I tried another computer supply, same result. Too much amps apparently. I also tried using the deep cycle battery. Do I have to buy one more battery just for the cooler box?

h0ughy
26-07-2012, 12:26 PM
in short - yes

i keep one battery just for the mount, one for dew control and one for cameras

solissydney
26-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Thank you David.
Aussie Batteries has a 28 amp battery for $100.00
Good value you think?
Ken

h0ughy
26-07-2012, 12:45 PM
without being a killjoy i use 110 amp hour deep cycle batteries

solissydney
26-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Thanks again David

Regards
Ken

MrB
26-07-2012, 09:38 PM
That is a bit concerning, do you have a link to the power supply you were trying to use?
It would have to be very thin wire for only 2.7A to melt it.
How big was the deep cycle battery you tried? Even a small battery should be able to supply 2.7A without the battery voltage dropping too badly. Assuming a healthy battery ofcourse.
But the melting wires does sound like something is not quite right.

solissydney
27-07-2012, 08:31 AM
Hi Simon.
The 2 PC power supplies I tried were just 2 odd ones I had lying around.
The new battery I am using is an 45 AH 10 hours from Aussie Batteries.
Yes, it is a little curious, is it not?
All the power goes through a junction box I made up, that sits on the tripod post.
Having read your response I went out this morning and, by-passing the junction box, I connected both the mount and the cooler straight to the battery, and it worked just fine. I even tested the slewing also. No problem at all.
So, i shall have my friend, an electronics engineer have a look at the wiring on my setup.
Your comments are much appreciated.
Ken

solissydney
27-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Hi,
One of my problems have been solved. I decided to test my setup at home by moving the PC power supple away from the wall of my shelter 3 meters closer, onto the post of my scope, still through the junction box that has 4 outlets for the mount, cooler, auto guider and the dummy battery for my DSLR. Eliminating that 3 meter lead, at 12 V, made the difference.
However, routing my battery, as in the field, through the junction box does still not work. Only by taking power for the mount and the cooler directly from the battery is it able to cope with the cooler.
There, I hope some of you will have learned something from my experience.
Thanks all
ken