PDA

View Full Version here: : Stellarium problems

Analog6
26-07-2012, 05:38 AM
As some of you may have seen in another thread, I have had troubles with Stellarium displaying handles for the comets I loaded.

So clever dick me thought I'd see if there was an updated version. I just downloaded it and now I have no Apple menu, no buttons (close/minimise/maximise) and it will not show the bottom taskbar - earth line, azimuth lines etc.

Does anyone esle have 0.11.2 on an iMac? Mine is 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 duo running OS 10.6.8.

ourkind
26-07-2012, 06:26 AM
Hi there!

you may need to wait a few days until they Stellarium release 0.11.3 for Mac OS with some bug fixes, this is all I could find below ... :(

2012/06/01 0.11.3 Released
The Stellarium team announces the release of Stellarium version 0.11.3.
This is a bug fix release. We closed more 30 bugs in the main application and in the plugins and also small improvements of GUI. A huge thanks to all community bug reporters who helped us a lot finding bugs!
Bundle for Mac OS X will be published on next week, packages for Linux and Windows you can freely download from SourceForge.net and/or Launchpad.net.

http://www.stellarium.org/

Analog6
26-07-2012, 08:35 AM
Thanks Carlos.

silv
26-07-2012, 08:50 AM
I downloaded and installed Stellarium 0.11.2 only yesterday, after reading that comet thread.
am also on mac os x 10.6.8.

the missing buttons etc sound like Stellarium is running in Full Screen mode and automatically hiding all menus.
It does that on my Mac, too. Possibly, this is a new feature in this version - but I couln't say because it's the first time I've run it.

Press F11 (or FN+F11 ) and Stellarium should exit Full Screen.
Or gently hover your mouse near the bottom of the program window and on the left hand side - the menu buttons should appear.

silv
26-07-2012, 09:15 AM
the missing handle for the comet, however, will not be fixed by this.

When you search for 96p/Machholz and let Stellarium center the window on the comet's position at a given time - where does Stellarium point?
What is the actual center of the window?
If Stellarium centers an area below horizon you won't be seeing the handles.

Then check your location setting and the observation time.

silv
26-07-2012, 09:39 AM
sorry if that last post underestimates your familiarity with Stellarium.

if that doesn't fix the missing handles and you are sure about the correct location and observation time,

you can reset Stellarium to it's virgin, default settings.

often, when a program surface, the graphical user interface - or GUI - does not act as it should,
just like your Stellarium missing the handles for machholz

it is good trouble shooting technique to delete the preference file (the "plist" file) of the application.
That file stores the settings for the application as they were initially designed by the programmer. While the application is closed, this file can be deleted and will automatically be re-created when the application is launched again.

Stellarium doesn't use the standard plist files on a Mac but employs the Windows inherited configuration files named "config.ini" and "ssystem.ini".

It is safe to delete them. They do get re-created on next program launch.
Note that if you have had any user specific settings, they will be lost and be set back to default:
Location setting and objects will have to be re-loaded. The 96p/Machholz will also need to be re-loaded.

So how do you remove the "config.ini" and ssystem.ini to potentially fix the missing-handle-bug?

Quit Stellarium.

Open a Finder window and navigate to your user home folder.
(It's here where you find all your blue folders like Music, Desktop, Movies etc.)
Open the blue folder Library. Open the folder Application Support. Open the folder Stellarium.
Here, you can drag the "config.ini" to your desktop - for save keeping.
Open the folder Data and drag the ssystem.ini to the desktop - for save keeping.

Now launch Stellarium.
You will have to re-set your location and also download the comet defintiion for 96p/machholz.
Only download Machholz at this stage to keep it simple. And because I know that it works since I only have downloaded Machholz.

Now, check whether you can search for Machholz in the early evening hours at your location.

If the handles appear: :thumbsup:
(and you can delete the 2 files from your desktop.)

If the handles don't appear - then let's put those 2 files on your desktop back where they came from. They were not causing the problem so you can re-use all the settings stored in them.

You could post here, again, and maybe I will have another idea.

Barrykgerdes
26-07-2012, 01:31 PM
If you have a Mac you should get a copy of fusion installed. You can then run the Windows version of Stellarium.

You can download a 30 day trial free. Then try This copy of Stellarium

http://barry.sarcasmogerdes.com/stellarium/uploads/stellarium-5449-win32.exe

This is a version compiled last week

Barry

mithrandir
26-07-2012, 02:08 PM
See my reply in the other Stellarium thread. It is not the ini files with the problem.

silv
26-07-2012, 08:34 PM
ah. :o

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=878036#post878036