PDA

View Full Version here: : my new focuser

petershah
21-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Ive had a AG12 for a few years now which was originally fitted with a standard focuser, in itself was ok as long as you dont want to hang masses of weight off it. Ive finally got around to upgrading it to an FLI PDF focuser complete with support cradles a very solid arrangement I just need to upgrade my mount now....... always something else to do.
Ive also fitted a secondary heater inside the holder, much neater now, the uk suffers very badly with high humidity and unfortunately dew control is a must.

At moment I have a G11 which is right at its limits now, I have plans to install a much heavier duty mount, I've got a G41 made by Gemini which needs a computer so that is my next project.

Any comments welcome

silv
21-07-2012, 06:43 PM
congratulations!

where is the focuser???
I can see the logo "FLI" - but I can't recognize a focuser... or anything resembling telescope gear.
that's probably a symptom of a very desirable setup...
('cause I'm a newbie)

being also a girl, I obviously like the 2 purple parts there. :thumbsup:

petershah
21-07-2012, 06:56 PM
hello silv, it doesnt look like a conventional style focuser, the focuser is actually the ally disk type arrangement. Its design allows much heavier payloads with virtually zero flexing. It doesnt have a manual contol which is why you dont see the conventional focusing knobs, its set up for computer contol. My scope is identical to strongmanmike's

2stroke
21-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Dam that things gotta have some sting with the gear you have swinging of it :)

petershah
21-07-2012, 07:18 PM
its not too bad :-)

silv
21-07-2012, 07:38 PM
oh, I see! thank you for clarifying this, Peter :)

RickS
23-07-2012, 12:28 PM
G'day Peter,

Hope you like the PDF. I have been using an Atlas on a couple of scopes and really love it.

I just placed an order for an AG12. My mount is an Astro-Physics AP900 which hopefully will handle the scope with aplomb, at least if there's not too much wind!

Cheers,
Rick.

petershah
24-07-2012, 12:35 AM
the AP 900 will have no trouble handling the AG12. Ive been using my Ag on a Losmandy G11 for a few years its just over its limits now ive fitted the pdf and cradles. Im in the process of upgrading the mount now. Ive got the Hungarian G41 which is about the same sort of size as the ap900, although i would much prefer the AP900, but i picked this mount up for virually nothing so i cant complain :-)
You only need to look at the quality of strongmanmikes images to see what this scope is capable of.......tricky to collimate but once its there it stays, very stable scope. I love my scope i wouldnt change it for anything.
once ive upgraded the mount it will be time to look at the filter wheel and camera, probably a microline.....never satisfied :-)

RickS
24-07-2012, 07:18 AM
I've seen Mike's images and a few of yours and they were all very impressive! That had a lot to do with my decision.

I'd love a big FLI camera too. For the moment I'll get by with an STL11K.

Cheers,
Rick.

petershah
24-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Hi Rick, just wondering wether your STL11K has an internal guide sensor? the reason why i ask is if you want to fit an OAG in the imaging train it can be a bit of a squeeze as the ST cameras chips are a fraction further from the camera flange......im sure you have checked your measurments anyway and there is usually a way to shoehorn these things together ;)