PDA

View Full Version here: : electricity bill

blink138
20-07-2012, 02:34 PM
i have a retail shop in leederville perth and there has been a vacant shop next door to me that has been unopened for over two years..... which is a crap situation anyhow
my meter box just happens to reside in the vacant premises also, so i have never had it read for that period and have been told an "estimate" is calculated on a two monthly basis
anyhoo to cut a short story long(!) the meter man wasnt leaving until he entered the vacant shop to get a reading so i arranged the real estate agent to open up whereupon offending meter was seen
i got a call from western power a couple of hours later and after introducing himself, he said to me "are you sitting down?" well..... me bottle went! he started again........ i only heard the number five thousand and my world went hazy..... a second later i started to "go" him and how imossible it was and i have changed all my shop lighting to LED and, and .......!
he had the audacity to rudely iterrupt me in the middle of my rant to inform me it was a credit ha ha!
let it never be said that power companies dont have a sense of humour
i think he enjoyed stringing me along there
pat

Astro_Bot
20-07-2012, 02:54 PM
There's some luck there, for sure. Buy a lottery ticket!

bojan
20-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Don't, no need...
The amount of luck allocated to you has been used up with this credit ;)

overlord
20-07-2012, 04:53 PM
My elec bill was nearly 600 bucks wtf?! I'm just a little suburban house on the quater acre lol! I can switch off my goldfish tank filter so Herbert and Maxwell can see what it's like to have smog pollution for a few weeks but appart from that i am at a wit's end on how to deal with this situation. I have already limited central heating to 22 degrees and I shall border up some windows.

Benno18
20-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Lights and stand by power Chucky!!!!!
If you have the old downlights, The awesome (???) low voltage ones, DESTROY THEM!!!!
They are the biggest wastes of space!!! or even bight the bullet and go the LED ones.
They may be low voltage, but they are still 50W globes. And having 4 in one room makes for 200W of power and producing the same amount of light as one of the old incandecent globes!!!! and then you do the maths on how much that cost you over the whole house of downlights!!!!!

And i have found with the heating and cooling, taking the air con out of the 'auto' position and in to the fan mode, keeps the bills down. Less ramping up and down to keep the temperature right. Just let 22-24 degree air blow in consistantly.

Just what i have found. works for me :) :) :) :)

Stardrifter_WA
20-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Woohoo, credit! What astro gear ya gonna buy Pat!

FlashDrive
20-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Good one Pat .... you had me ' strung ' along there for a minute ... thinking what a pack of a##holes ... then they said ... ' and the winner is ' ... Pat ... 5 grundies we got for you mate ... how do you want it ... !! :D

Flash :thumbsup:

tlgerdes
20-07-2012, 08:15 PM
Well there is your problem. 22 deg ???:question:

It is winter, put some clothes on.

Stardrifter_WA
20-07-2012, 08:30 PM
I made some changes to the way I use electricity and reduced my bill by nearly half. Like Pat, I am going to change to LED's as well. Some really nice LED lights around now. I particularly like the LED Panels (600mm X 600mm) as they look like skylights. :)

MrB
20-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Haha noice!
Gotta love that.

Ouch... my last one was a smidge over $100, and it could be way lower if I tried :D

blink138
21-07-2012, 02:51 AM
when i was deciding to go to LED for my shop lighting a lot of the other shop owners, possibly thinking more pragmatically done the sums and told me it would take 5 years to break even......which is probably right, but there are very little perks in your own business but spending money on your own shop is perfectly legit!
a good mate of mine has got in early on the LED bandwagon, whom i went through for my own, and i have planted the seed with him about a year ago regarding astro friendly street lighting.... and he has just been appointed on some sort of council for future street lighting!
when i went to his small office he had a couple of lighting display boards with say one 50 watt halogen and a 5 watt LED
the results were dramatic! the 50w halogen actually pushed 64w while the LED was a little less than 5w!
i have 32 of these !!!
i also had 7 metal halides rated at 150w each that he demonstrated actually push out close to 190w each, these are on for my workday only, 6 days per week for a minimum of 9 hrs per day
i swapped these for a bright white LED of 23watts
personally i couldnt give a ratsarse how long it takes to recoup, i feel soooo much better
pat

Analog6
21-07-2012, 08:19 AM
Ours is regulalry $850 per quarter. And we have no air con, only 2 people, the 'low energy' bulbs etc. I have started turning off the hot water system (not off peak, too old and land lord won't replace while it is still working) except for 3-4 hours a day, and we got a newish (3yrs old) second hand fridge/freezer to replace a 12 yr old set of fridge & freezer. Now it will be interesting to see if there is a diufference next bill. We pay $75 per week via Bpay just to keep up with it.