PDA

View Full Version here: : Re-arranging the deck chairs (more moderator resignations)

iceman
20-07-2012, 11:52 AM
It's with sadness that I also announce the resignation of h0ughy (David), acropolite (Phil) and xstream (John) from moderator duties.

While it's unusual to have the resignations all at once, there's no behind the scenes conspiracy or problem. While each have their own reasons, the common denominator is simply 'needing a break' as well as having much less time to sit in front of the computer with real life getting in the way.

Seeing how much fun Paul has been having on the outside has no doubt triggered thoughts in their own mind and after discussion, they agreed to resign now.

We've had the same moderation team on IceInSpace for many years now, and that in itself is unusual - there's usually a lot more frequent turnover so it's a tribute and a credit to these guys that they've stuck at it for as long as they have.

It's certainly not an easy job, and it's rarely fun. It can be quite draining and stressful at times and then becomes a bit of a chore. So it's no surprise that after having done it for so long, they need a break from it.

As Phil has said to me, it's a good a time as any to "re-arrange the deck chairs" and have a refresh of the moderator team.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Dave, Phil and John for their tremendous efforts over the past many years (at least 3 or 4 years?).

You've been an enormous help to me personally and I have valued your input, advice and friendship.

I wish you all the best on the outside and enjoy the break and the time off.

I'll be adding 1 or 2 new moderators over the coming days or weeks.

jjjnettie
20-07-2012, 01:04 PM
A big thanks to Dave, Phil and John for all their work over the years.
As Mike says, it's been a good run.

I can't imagine the strain the job of Mod puts on you. You're the Policemen of the forum and as such you catch the brunt of it a fair bit. Members don't like getting tickets for their misdemeanour's, but when there is trouble on the site, you are the first people we call to sort things out.
Thanks for making Ice In Space a safe place to hang out. :)

Octane
20-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Bugger. :(

All the best, guys; thanks for your efforts. Even if it meant pulling me into line every now and then. :P

H

RB
20-07-2012, 02:27 PM
LOL h, you're not off the hook yet, I'm still here...
:lol:

RB

Astro_Bot
20-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Wow, I hope it wasn't me ... I can have that effect on people. :tasdevil:

Well done on your efforts over the years. It's the endless behind the scenes work that makes a forum hum along as this one does. :cheers:

Octane
20-07-2012, 03:22 PM
RB, you're a ghost nowadays. :P

H

spacezebra
20-07-2012, 03:32 PM
A big thanks to all the outgoing mods. You have weathered and controlled many a heated debate and kept us all in line. At the same time presented a light hearted - balanced view of the world Well done, and best wishes.

Cheers Petra d.

h0ughy
20-07-2012, 04:11 PM
As I write this I am still in moderator status:):violin:, but that responsibility will soon be lifted from my shoulders:thanx::party:. I have enjoyed my wild ride behind the scenes for quite some time now. To think I probably used to be the serial pest to some people:rofl: – ok maybe no changes there, but the responsibility of “moderator” soon changes that:eyepop:. Its time for a change!:whistle:

I had hoped that during my time as a Moderator there would have been some good come from that responsibility and that it made a difference to IIS:innocent:. I still think it is the best site and I will be remaining to pester the populace. :poke:

I would like to thank Paul, John, Phil and Andrew for their stewardship over that time:party2:, there were some very interesting discussions, some of which brought a tear to the eye through laughing too hard. I have developed some great friendships from being a moderator, though I probably have some that dislike me as well :tasdevil:. Sometimes it is a thankless job:evil2:, but you look at the site and it keeps on going with the members posts reporting this and that, so you are kept busy:rundog:. A big thank you to all the spammers :stupid:– I think the record for me was 29 spams in the one hour with over 14 different members reporting the spam’s. With results like that I know that there is a caring IIS community out there. A lot of posts have passed into the digital void…..:bashcomp:

Some highlights for me was the total lunar eclipse in 2007 – the site was visited heavily then – I think I have been a mod for about 6 or 8 months by then. So here we are 5+ years later and I was the newest of the moderators. RB, you my friend are the last of the Mohicans:poke:!! John and Phil, thanks:2thumbs: – and Paul you have been a pillar of knowledge:einstein:!

To the new Moderators – I wish you all the best for the future.:help:

RB
20-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Houghy, John, Phil (and Paul), it's been an absolute pleasure to be part of the moderating team with you guys.
You have kept the smile on my face even though (as you know) I have had a very difficult few years with what's been going on in my life.
I write this to you on my ipod from hospital because I'm on limited net access and wanted to say thanks but I will miss all of you very much. Thanks for the fond memories and I look forward to our next get together when ever that will be.
I am just sorry I havent been around lately to help out as usual.

PS someone forgot their Freezer Suit in here, looks like Houghy's, there's Diamantes on the collar.

:lol:

xstream
20-07-2012, 08:31 PM
He through it in the corner for his pink Tutu. ;)

What does one say it's a sad day and no-one will be feeling it more than Mike but life goes on and so will the forum after six years of being a Mod I reckon I more than deserve a rest! :whistle:

To my fellow deviates um I mean partners in crime :lol: It's been a great ride guys, we have certainly had many an up and down and hair pulling times but the laughs and friendships that have come out of it have made it all more than worth while.

Paul, Phil, Andrew, Dave, Mike & Terry (when you come out of hiding :P)
thanks once again guys I consider you all very Dear friends and you will always remain so.

Now it's time for a real life on the outside, to who ever the new Mods may be I wish you well! :eyepop:

I also must not forget the IIS community. Thanks for your support it does make the life of a Mod more bearable. :thumbsup:

leon
20-07-2012, 08:42 PM
What can one say, enjoy the other side, and congratulations on a job well done.

Leon

sheeny
20-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Thanks to all the out going mods. You've been a great team from where I sit.

Al.

Ric
21-07-2012, 02:19 AM
To the retiring Mod squad a big thanks for all your efforts over the years to make IIS the great forum it is.

I think you all deserve a well earned ale or three :drink:

Cheers

jenchris
21-07-2012, 09:13 AM
I know where you're at guys, I'm a mod on two forums, one an astronomy site with 66,600 members. Culling spam and idiots is a background job that requires an even temper and a sense of humour. Not to mention patience and tact

Thank you for taking the flack for so long - you're the good guys.

acropolite
21-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Thanks guys... To Dave, John, Paul, Andrew, Mike & Terry, it's been a pleasure to have been in the company of such a fine bunch of guys and often more than a little fun to serve with you, Mike & Terry I hope to meet you guys face to face some time.

I'm fortunate to have met John, Dave, Paul and Andrew in the flesh and I hope that whoever ends up in the "inner circle" will have that quality of company to share the sort of experiences that we had.

@ Andrew hope your are on the mend, we are thinking of you down here in the (a bit frigid ATM) deep south.

wavelandscott
21-07-2012, 10:54 AM
I tip my hat to all of you retiring Mods you have on balance done a heroic job for long hours and little (none) pay. Well Done and best wishes on the outside with the rest of the hoi polloi...

PCH
21-07-2012, 06:19 PM
A hearty congratulations for a job well done to all the retiring mods from me too.

While the rest have been mods from the start of my time here, hOughy became one after I joined, and I recall his slogan next to his avatar.It said, ..."Damn, I'm a moderator".

In his post just under here, he says this was five years ago. Please tell me the last five years haven't gone that quickly !!

All the best guys :thumbsup:

Bassnut
21-07-2012, 06:42 PM
Do I detect a small window of opportunity here for me to run amoke with abusive posts due to a temporary shortage of moderators? :)

sheeny
21-07-2012, 07:10 PM
:)

lacad01
21-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Thanks guys for your efforts over the years :)

MrB
21-07-2012, 07:46 PM
I had the same memory, and I had the same thought!

A few have said they are sticking around, I hope you all do. This place just wouldn't be the same without you. Cheers! :cheers:

RB
21-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Bassnut Has Been Banned for a month !

:drink:

iceman
21-07-2012, 07:53 PM
They're not leaving the forum or giving up the love of astronomy - just resigning from moderator duties!

It certainly wouldn't be the same without them :)

iceman
21-07-2012, 07:53 PM
haha!

Fred when has having many mods stopped you in the past? :)

Bassnut
21-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Well, I remember a thread I started something like "vote for the best astro supplier" (Guiness induced),opinions not accepted , provided a list, and started a poll. I punched the stopwatch and waited. Within 2 mins flat Houghy had deleted the post and yelled at me via PM. I was most impressed, awesome moderating and passed the mod test with flying colors. I knew it was impossible for you lot to wear the obvious ensuing greif and liability issues. In that 2 mins I got a heap of angry posts and PMs demanding to allow opinions on the time they got done in by suppliers.

It was at that instant that I understood the crap you guys must have to endure.

I salute you and the the thankless task the mods have. Top work :thumbsup:.

There was some other minor stuff, always me being stupid, moderating was always appropriate.

gregbradley
22-07-2012, 09:41 AM
Thanks guys for your work. Ice in Space is the premier astro site on the net and I have watched it get better and better over time.

Greg.