PDA

View Full Version here: : Vulnerability of Gadgets in Vista and Win 7

GeoffW1
19-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Hi,

Here a newsletter (it's a safe site) detailing the security failings of sidebar gadgets in Win 7, and also a discussion about security popups.

http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter/kill-those-vista-and-win7-gadgets-now/?u=rb1zws5ba58h&r=27844-04882

Cheers

Barrykgerdes
19-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Interesting! I have used the clock but nothing else. However I am more concerned with the tempoary(?) internet files area in your user area. The information stored here is of no use to anyone except hackers etc and is not easily removed. A cursury read of some of the data stored here was a history of all my internet activity since I put Win 7 on that computer. My user area contains 6GB of data and I have at times removed it completely and replaced it with a generic version that I always save when I first install the OS (naturally it contains the only info I need). Without any harm done to the computer.

Barry

multiweb
19-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Start>Run and type %tmp%. Delete all. That should clean a lot in AppData and other folders, logs, etc...

Barrykgerdes
19-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Hi Marc

I haven't thought to use %tmp% to locate the files before. I always did it manually. However you can't "delete all" because there are a couple of files in use so you need to selectively "delete all" to get the rest.

Barry

multiweb
19-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Some are always in use or locked by the OS but you'll get 99% in one pass. Typically up to 5000 files/registry entries on a typical Win7 system running Adobe products, PS, Microsoft Office, etc... I'd say bout 1GB in average.

Colin_Fraser
19-07-2012, 06:44 PM
Sorry but that won't do much. Only delete files in the User/yourname/AppData/Local/Temp folder

Will not remove any directories nor remove any Internet cache files or history files. Does not touch the registry at all.
Of course if you have more than one user account it does not touch those either.

Better off using Ccleaner or similar.

multiweb
20-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Anything in the temp folder is safe to delete. Deleting files higher in the tree could potentialy damage your system.

The internet cache is one level up in local. For IE9 it's in
Users\yourname\AppData\Local\Micros oft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5.
Some apps have user/registry key info in AppData and not in the main registry. Adobe does that a lot.

I assume you'd run it from one account once logged in. You can log off and apply the same to different profiles.

Those cleaner programs always made me nervous. I've had nasty problems in the past with corruptions running such tools.

Colin_Fraser
20-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Thats unfortunate. I have CCleaner running on Startup on most laptops where I tutor. Never had a problem yet, only because it is really stable now.
Another good option is to configure your browser to empty the cache and clear cookies on exit, OR better still if you are really worried about privacy, use Private Browsing.

multiweb
20-07-2012, 05:09 PM
I'll give it a go. I used Registry Mechanic for a while.