PDA

View Full Version here: : Looking for accessory tray for HEQ5 tripod

zarazabas
12-07-2012, 11:42 AM
Hi everyone. After spending a couple of years overseas I've come back to Aus to discover that the accessory tray for my HEQ5 Pro tripod has gone missing. Can anyone recommend a place to source a replacement?

Thanks.

Barrykgerdes
13-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Do you mean the spreader. I have not seen an accessories tray. My HEQ5 Pro does not have one.
Is the centre bolt still there?

Barry

zarazabas
11-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Wow, it seems i forgot all about this thread! I guess it could be called a spreader.... it spreads the legs of the tripod, and has holes in it that you can put eyepieces in. The centre bolt is still there.

Barrykgerdes
11-08-2012, 11:55 AM
I guess one of the dealers could order one for you. Else you will need to make one . I can make a template from mine if you can make it.

Barry

zarazabas
11-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Interesting idea, i had not considered making one! I'll check around with some dealers to see if i can order one, failing that i'll have a go at making one. Thanks for the suggestion!

Cam
11-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Hi I have a spare one you are welcome to have free if you pay for the postage. Cam

ozstockman
11-08-2012, 09:30 PM
If you are good with vector graphic software you can draw the one you need and I can cut it out of 3mm thick MDF or acrylic with a laser.

If it does not have to support the legs and just for holding eyepieces both MDF and acrylic will work.

Barrykgerdes
12-08-2012, 07:20 AM
The spreader is a major part of the rigidity of the tripod and needs to be sustantial. The original is cast aliminium with strengthening ribs making its developed thickness about 35mm. Acrylic or MDF would not be strong enough under 25mm thick.

If I was making one I would fabricate it out of 4mm steel plate with a central tube and strenghthening ribs welded on. I would need steel because I don't have aluminium welding equipment.

Barry
Barry

HunterGeo
02-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Hi folks. Long time reader, first time poster. :)

I've just bought a second-hand HEQ5 Pro GoTo mount and there was no spreader plate / accessory tray with the kit. The bolt/tighten knob is there, just not the plate... :rolleyes:

Anyway, does anyone have any idea where to source one? I checked a few online shops and couldn't find anything... but am open to suggestions.

Cam, is that offer still available, please?

zarazabas, how did you go with your search?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Cam
02-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Yeah no worries mate. Have one just sitting here you can have. PM me an addy where to send it and its yours. I cant see postage being too much so don't worry about it. Enough ppl have helped me out since I ventured into astronomy :)

HunterGeo
04-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Wow, :eyepop:
Thanks Cam!!! :D

(PM sent)

Davros
04-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Welcome Dave, told you it was a great site :P:P:P:P

HunterGeo
08-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Thanks, Cam; the tray arrived in today's mail and suits perfectly. Thank you!

@Michael (Davros), thanks. Yes, I've been lurking for ages, just never registered/posted before. :)