PDA

View Full Version here: : Ovision upgrade question

stanlite
10-07-2012, 06:49 PM
I was wondering with the ovision upgrade to losmandy mounts can you get away with just upgrading the RA worm and leaving the Dec worm as is or should you change out both. I realise that the ovision worm will be better then a standard worm any day of the week, but given only the RA is tracking (in a perfect no polar error world) and the Dec shouldn't have to make to many adjustments could you get away with just one axis upgraded?

alocky
10-07-2012, 08:10 PM
I think your logic is sound. The periodic error on your Dec axis is not critical and proper backlash adjustment will be more important. I have been contemplating that upgrade myself, but the high precision worm is more than adequate for my current needs.
cheers,
Andrew.

wasyoungonce
11-07-2012, 04:51 PM
Dec tracking corrections will (should) only be in one direction thus you only need to change the RA worm.

The Losmandy adj worm & block is probably just as good as the Ovision.

All that said, have you tested your PE? Is it that bad you need to change the worm? You should test your PE before you change the worm in any case.

stanlite
11-07-2012, 10:17 PM
haven't got the mount yet ... was merely doing my research should investigations prove there is a need.

wasyoungonce
12-07-2012, 08:16 AM
The G11 is generally +/-7 arc seconds or less PE out of the box from Losmandy these days. This is easily guided out.

Indeed atmospheric seeing conditions are probably generally ~3 arc seconds.