PDA

View Full Version here: : eq6 portable pier mount

rmuhlack
10-07-2012, 02:51 PM
anyone here use a skywatcher portable EQ6 pier mount ? (like this (http://www.myastroshop.com.au/products/details.asp?id=MAS-030M))

just wondering how it compares (particularly for AP) with the stock EQ6 tripod (with the tripod legs fully retracted)

:cheers:

rmuhlack
11-07-2012, 06:23 PM
anyone?

Clancy Lane
11-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Hi Richard!

Used one of these portable piers in my home ro/ro shed for a while before converting it into a permanent pier.

I wanted to avoid the 'tripping over tripod leg in the dark' happenings but still had to contend with the 'legs' jutting out from the pier.

It was quite a stable setup even with my 12" newt on a NEQ6 when the adjustable lock down on each leg is used.

The big advantage was the ability to wheel the scope around whilst on the pier......very mobile, even with the 12".

Hope this info helps.

Regards,

Phil

PS... I still have the legs with the wheels and lock down if you can use them......no use to me anymore!

RobF
11-07-2012, 09:00 PM
Yes, I'd be interested in hearing people's experience on benefits over normal tripod too, particularly for "backyard" setup/pulldown. Do you get noticeably better stability over the tripod?

Clancy Lane
11-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Rob,

For me the only advantage over a tripod was the mobility with the scope attached..still tripped over the legs during the night.

I think it would only be worthwhile if you had to wheel the scope out each night and then only if you had a smooth surface such as concrete.

Regards,

Phil

RobF
11-07-2012, 10:28 PM
Thanks Clancy.
It makes you wonder about the benefits of a (potentially?) stiffer mount after the convenience considerations of setup and polar alignment are sorted....
It's not something that seems to get commented on too often, I guess because most people either use mobile tripods, or fixed piers, but rarely anything in between.

MattT
12-07-2012, 12:19 AM
Richard, somewhere Dr Tim Wethrell, of Mt Stromolo's Oddie refractor restoration fame, has his 8" frac on a wooden pier ...I think, for the life of me I have no idea where it is on the net. Could be on cloudy nights or possibly the Istar link on my sig, where he compares his 140mm APO TEC to the 200mm APO TEC scopes he owns. Some one else may have a link??? I'll post it if I find it. Might be of some interest.
Found it but not exactly what I was looking for.http://platypusart.com/wetherell/
Matt