PDA

View Full Version here: : Stupid Adverts

Paul Haese
07-07-2012, 07:19 PM
Everyone has their pet hates but we have an Ad here in SA on natural gas and some blonde bimbloke saying that panels are great but the sun ain't up when he gets up (ie he wants to have a shower early in the morning) which, is just a stupid moronic thing for advertisers to suggest. It implies that we are stupid enough to believe this crap. Last I checked hot water systems generally have storage tanks. :rolleyes:

Is there an Ad you don't like and why?

Matt Wastell
07-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Hi Paul - there is a moronic ad that I love - it is the chunky soup 'fully loaded can' - anyone on a kayak with a sail and a fan skirting through the bush win me over!

jjjnettie
07-07-2012, 08:10 PM
:) my life is relatively ad free. I've not had a telly hooked up in my house for coming up to 3 years.
It doesn't look like I'm missing anything.

pgc hunter
07-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Those solar panel ads and their June special offers! Um, hello derr brains, Melbourne doesn't get sunshine in winter!

All those life insurance ads that go on forever with the corny actors , especially Insurance Line with that poxy animated telephone

BUT, this takes the cake. I just cannot comprehend that anyone could come up with something as disgusting, as horrifying, as demented as this. Watch at your peril http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xApm4o5mEvA

Barrykgerdes
07-07-2012, 09:09 PM
The adds on TV, radio etc, are aimed at the people who have money to waste. These days the average intellegence of those with the money in Australia I rate at say 100 to give a standard for ads. However I have just come back from a few weeks in London where the weather was not too good so I watched a lot of TV. If you think our ads are inane the ads on London TV are 20% worse.

Barry

AndrewJ
07-07-2012, 09:45 PM
I also hate the life/death/funeral/pet/housework/income insurance ads that are going on at present.
Why is it we can no longer afford to live or die????
That said, you have to give the entrepreneurs marks for moving in.
The latest ads now are for companies that will talk to you and then find the best insurance product ( amongst the myriad on offer ) to suit your needs.
What a joke.
If the only growth industry in this country is flogging insurance,
or being an agent for flogging insurance,
then we have had it.

Andrew

( Im off to learn how to sell carbon )

cfranks
07-07-2012, 10:01 PM
I hate all of them to be honest. The burgers, pies and other food offereings that are three times the actual content, but I really hate the advertisers that shake their hands and arms at you to prove how honest they are. :screwy::rolleyes:
I haven't seen many ads for telescopes though!

Charles

bartman
07-07-2012, 11:52 PM
+1
demented is the wurd
bartman

Astro_Bot
08-07-2012, 12:14 AM
Pretty much all of them! :sadeyes:

As far as I can see, most ads contain a non-sequitur or two somewhere, bracketed by facts or desirable outcomes that resonate with the target demographic.

E.g. "I'm a mum, so I know how important good nutrition is for my child. Introducing food product XYZ ....".

These points are not linked: it does not follow.

I often watch The Gruen Transfer ... but you all probably figured that out already. ;)

Barrykgerdes
08-07-2012, 07:52 AM
The secret to watching commercial TV etc is to fine tune your mental filters (just like blocking some internet material). Then you can enjoy the programs better.

I must do this because I do some of those surveys and many refer to TV ads. I can never recall seeing most of them till I am prompted and then I only remember a very small proportion.

I probably miss the worst ads because I don't watch any of those inane reality programs (except the gardening) that seem to top the ratings these days.

Barry

stephenb
08-07-2012, 09:22 AM
On a par with moronic TV commercials are tabloid shows masquerading as 'current affairs programs' (ACA/TT) and reality shows.

Stephen

MattT
08-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Don't watch much TV any more and when I do it's often recorded programs and the fast forward button fixes adds...but the worst for me are the banks that claim to help and serve...who are they kidding? Where's the FF button again?
Matt

stephenb
08-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Same Matt, I reckon I watch maybe a total of two hours of TV a week, and yes you can add bank commercials to my list! Hail the DVD recorder!

Stephen

pgc hunter
08-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Those corny actors again.... worse yet is the old couple doing a role play about how they need life/funeral/income insurance etc etc etc.

Oh god don't get me started on Today Tonight. The other week they had a special about all the perils and danger of drinking........ TAP WATER!!!!!! Was a real larf :screwy::rolleyes:

forget booze, cyanide, metho, turps, petrol sniffing...... tap water is the real problem in society and it is in every home and business! :help:

Omaroo
08-07-2012, 09:45 AM
Thank goodness for the PVR. Nearly all of my content is specifically chosen these days, whether it's by recording selected shows that interest me from the EPG, or from two services I subscribe to - the BBC and QuickFlix on iPad - from which I stream my programs to my AppleTV.

The PVR lets you shuffle through ads pretty quickly, but occasionally I'll hit an ad that gives me the irrits - most notably that manic, gesticulating, loudmouthed, leather-booted brunette stick of a woman and male bimbo accomplice trying to flog me cars through Australian Fleet Sales. ARGH!!!!!!!

The only other thing that really annoys me are the station announcements advertising up-coming shows - especially police or bikie dramas. The voice-over "artists" drop into a growly, faux-sexy speech that is delivered at half-pace or less for dramatic effect. Makes my skin crawl every time I hear it. Life and death delivery.... oohhh... scary! Oh please. Enough!

Other than that - bring back Louie the Fly! :lol:

brian nordstrom
08-07-2012, 10:30 AM
This is the only reason I only watch the news for 1/2 an hour a day before work at 5am . Even then the adds drive me spare !!
Banks that care ??? :mad2: oh my , that really is the end all , aint it ?
Thank God for telescopes , books and IIS's web site . :).
Brian.

coldlegs
08-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Can't stand that lynx "balls" ad with "groper lips" playing with balls!!
Cheers
Stephen

Astro_Bot
08-07-2012, 01:10 PM
If we're talking about specifc ads ...

"We buy any car" with their inane smiles and I-just-took-a-whole-bottle-of-prozac attitude and that irritating music. Aaaargh! I ... just ... want ... to ... punch ... them!

Stardrifter_WA
09-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Hi everyone :hi:

I too hate ads, that's why I rarely watch commercial stations. I mostly watch ABC anyway and some SBS. I hated SBS for introducing ads, but then realised that their every 15 minute ad break wasn't so bad, as they give me time for the loo, make a cuppa, etc, without missing anything.

I stopped watching most commercial TV because there appears to be more ads than show. Now, if I want to watch something on commercial TV, I record it and skip the ads. I was going to get pay TV but they have ads as well, so what's the point?

Actually, I would rather put a DVD on than watch TV anyway. :D

Matt Wastell
09-07-2012, 06:57 PM
I thought these were comedies!

big_dav_2001
09-07-2012, 07:00 PM
That is by far my favourite ad... love the song.. "fully loaded man's got balls of meeeat" :rofl::rofl:

Davin

Octane
09-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Coming up to 11 years without television. :D

But, what does/did drive me batty if I'm watching television at a friend's (Australian Open tennis while housesitting) was the Harvey Norman commercials -- anyone remember the Australia Day sales period? Good grief.

Also, Sab, as to your Coles YouTube link: what is this i dont even

I have never seen such an embarrassing commercial before! Now I'm going to be conscious of that ditty while grocery shopping. :(

H

Exfso
09-07-2012, 07:17 PM
We have also got this gross advert about the flu and how easy it is to catch, some female sneeezes and a pile of snot comes out of her nose, it is totally gross. Definitely not to be watched when eating.

Matt Wastell
09-07-2012, 07:34 PM
He's hungry for danger
He can take the heat
Fully loaded man's got balls of meat
Over the edge
Flying through the sky
Fully loaded man, he could probably die
Time to slam a fully loaded can
A fully crammed dinner feast
For a meat, veg and pasta fan
Fully loaded can!

Says it all really!

alocky
09-07-2012, 11:57 PM
Can someone edify me (obviously sheltered and naiive) as to the meaning of the metaphoric imagery employed in the too frequent 'erection problems' ads we are being bombarded with during the Tour de France footage? WTF? They're making a tent that turns into a barn, a bridge appears, they're making a campfire, the bridge turns into a grassy knoll, etc.. nasty...
Maybe I don't want to know what those evil wrinklies are getting up to?
Given that the ads are appearing every 5 minutes, I would have thought personal lubricant ads would be more appropriate.
Now if they switched from the affectionate and touching moment, to the guy getting hauled off in a squad car with a big grin on his face I'd at least have had a giggle the first 1000 times it was shown.
cheers,
Andrew.

Ric
10-07-2012, 01:52 AM
Those infomercials are the ones that really bug me.

Two full time channels of rubbish of which it has to yelled at you over and over again for 30 minutes.

And then they expect you to believe that you can transform your body from the Michellin man to that of the Greek god Adonis in only 2 weeks by rolling around on a piece of curved metal. :screwy:

At least I can change the channel :P

sil
10-07-2012, 12:06 PM
I never watch any TV at the time its broadcast (except F1 where I mute the sound and read a book during the ads). There are only two shows I do watch, for all else the internet and Amazon provides. (Which is a whole other rant: ads on DVDs/Bluray that tell you you are a terrorist for buying their product).

SkyViking
10-07-2012, 12:33 PM
Don't really watch TV anymore and can't say I miss any of it at all. We rent movies to watch when we want to, and that's the only time the set is on. As for news, we get it online using adblocker and much prefer it this way.

Stardrifter_WA
10-07-2012, 06:38 PM
I'm with you Rolf. I can't be bothered watching news on TV, haven't done so for a long time. I use the ABC news website, it is much more informative anyway. Besides, I only read the articles I am interested in anyway. :)

Stardrifter_WA
10-07-2012, 06:41 PM
Hey Ric, you can always delete those channels. I don't have the full compliment of channels on my TV, as I have deleted all the trash channels. :)

Kevnool
10-07-2012, 08:53 PM
I,m i the same boat jjj

Cheers

pgc hunter
10-07-2012, 09:50 PM
lol I can't fathom how they can come up with something as grotesque as that. Imagine a young child being subjected to it, they could well develop a fear of supermarkets as they believe they'll encounter freaks like that inside :rofl:

Glenhuon
11-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Probably watched about 24hrs of TV in the last 10 years. Only use mine for DVD's and the occasional ABC programme.
IMHO, advertising should be a hanging offence ;-). If J.L. Baird and the other developers of TV could have looked into the future of TV they would have burned all their research notes and taken up something usefull, like Plumbing. :-)

Bill

Ric
12-07-2012, 01:48 AM
I didn't realise you could do that Peter.

Ta for the advice. :thumbsup:

Analog6
12-07-2012, 06:21 AM
The only commercial show I watch it the Hot Seat on 9 for 30 mins at nght - I've applied to go on it so watch it for that reason - , otherwise it is ABC or SBS. And we mute when the ads come on and don't watch them. However, a set of ads we actually LIKE are those funny ones for some Qld insurance company, probably only shown in Qld viewing areas. I like the one with the little old couple 'because we're more mature' and he makes rabbit ears over her head with his fingers.

supernova1965
12-07-2012, 08:13 AM
I have noticed a few adds sneaking into the mix that are not half bad there is one for National bank with the athletes morphing into the different sports of the olympics that I find quite watchable and another one for women's vitamins that has these fluro skeletons dancing around and after the dancers take off the fluro suits and they are all older women showing how well the vitamins work.

One reason I like these one's is they are not treating me like an idiot that is the one thing that gets me riled is how the advertising agencys think that that will make me buy something I will never understand.

Larryp
15-07-2012, 04:41 PM
I'm afraid I watch a lot of television-preferable to listening to SWMBO

Stardrifter_WA
15-07-2012, 08:10 PM
I can relate to that, but, I went one further.....got rid of SWMBO! :D Haven't looked back since. :P No more nagging about not needing more astro equipment....woohoo! :lol:

Larryp
15-07-2012, 08:13 PM
You are SO lucky Peter!

Stardrifter_WA
16-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Thanks Laurie, but luck had nothing to do with it!

Now, when I meet a woman, the first thing I ask is "do you own a telescope?" Then they just give me a funny look!!! :lol:

Larryp
16-07-2012, 06:26 PM
Lol!

Analog6
17-07-2012, 07:05 AM
Swmbo????

Omaroo
17-07-2012, 07:49 AM
"She Who Must Be Obeyed" Odille