PDA

View Full Version here: : Remember when Australia II won the America's cup

supernova1965
06-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Can you remember where you lived and what you were doing when John bertrand and crew won the America's cup I was living in Brisbane and working at Dalby KR darling downs meat works. I remember staying up all night for the last race and thanking Bob Hawke for telling me I didn't have to goto work that day:P. It was probably the biggest sporting event I ever got interested in it was a big wonderful day to be an AUSSIE. I still have a copy of Born to Win John bertran's book I reckon it is incredibaly inspiring and I love his reference to the book Johnathon Livingston Seagull. And when Ben Lexen said he would take the Trophy into west 33rd street and run it over with a steamroller and call it Australia's plate:rofl:. Just a few of my great memories of that time 1983 was a great year and a terrible year for me I lost my mum in 83 hard to believe it was so long ago.

Larryp
06-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Hi Warren
I remember driving to work the morning they won. Everyone must have been listening on their car radios, because I saw so many drivers pumping their fists in the air!

Matt Wastell
06-07-2012, 07:22 PM
I remember it wellish - I was in early high school (13 y.o) and loved the races. I watched most of them even after we were 3 nil down?? I made a bet with a mate for $1 when were were 3 nil down - best bet I have ever made!!!
We won the last 4 (I think) and were miles behind in the last and had a huge come back. I remember tingles running through my body - we broke the longest winning streak in sport?
I remember the winning canon went off well after we crossed the line - I do not think the yanks were happy - what ever!!!!
Bondy and Hawke - what personalities!!!!!

jjjnettie
06-07-2012, 08:14 PM
:) I was dating a Yachtie at the time and we'd stayed up all night at my house watching the race on the tellie.
The Americans were definitely not happy were they. We beat them at their own game, even when they were changing the rules on the fly. :)

mithrandir
06-07-2012, 08:30 PM
I remember staying home to watch the finish, Hawke saying any boss complaining about people being late was "a bum", and then leaving the ex at home with our 3yr old and 1 yr old.

acropolite
06-07-2012, 09:01 PM
I watched the race in bed and dozed off with the yanks well in front. I woke just in time to see Australia II retake the lead and sail on to win. I still remember going to work like it was yesterday, the streets were deserted but for one biker roaring around on his Harley proudly displaying an Aussie flag.

A very proud moment, probably on par with mans landing on the moon.

jjjnettie
06-07-2012, 09:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oPC0lYVakA

I still get goose pimples

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeG-hNXXy6I

Ric
07-07-2012, 02:36 AM
Definitely was an amazing day

PCH
07-07-2012, 07:37 PM
It certainly was for Bondie - wasn't it his last day of freedom for about ten years :lol:

Ric
08-07-2012, 08:18 AM
I thought he got done in the late 90's

blink138
08-07-2012, 05:09 PM
i remember myself and a load of mates sitting outside the OBH on a sunday session, we could just see the spinakers out on gage roads
we didnt know then that history was being made.... good days!
pat

supernova1965
08-07-2012, 05:17 PM
YOU WERE THERE Now I am Jealous:D

Astro_Bot
08-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Isn't Gage Roads off Fremantle? But the America's Cup win was off Newport, Rhode Island (USA). :shrug: Did you mean the Cup defence (which we lost!) in '87?

It was a great time. :cool:

blink138
08-07-2012, 11:18 PM
[CODE][/CIsn't Gage Roads off Fremantle? But the America's Cup win was off Newport, Rhode Island (USA). Did you mean the Cup defence (which we lost!) in '87?
ODE]
yes of course it was silly me!
still some of the best times in perth..... everybody in the world seemed to be watching
pat

sil
09-07-2012, 12:16 PM
I don't remember the race finish, but I remember a schoolmate's family were friends of Ben's (I think) and they took me along one weekend to a hanger in Sydney to see the boat. Got a photo somewhere of me sitting on the keel. A week or so later we went on a school excursion to the entertainment center to see it again (was bored with it all by then of course).

Davros
09-07-2012, 01:57 PM
I was ten years old and living in Toowoomba!

Shano592
11-07-2012, 11:58 AM
I recall it well. I was in Year 7, and delivering newspapers for an after school job.

Easily the best day I ever had.

Suzy
11-07-2012, 12:35 PM
I didn't know anything about boat races but I was very aware of this special event and celebrated proudly with all my work friends at none other than the famous Breakfast Creek Hotel in Brisbane. I was 18. :D

Baddad
11-07-2012, 01:39 PM
I was in charge of the Electronics repair section in the Army at Bulimba.
I stayed up that night to watch the race.
My ex was not interested. She went to bed.

I became worried when Australia II (A2) was behind and went wide looking for wind. It worked and in they came.

We didn't get much work done that day. It must have been the lowest production figures ever for a day. All were sleep deprived but happy.

We were all excited that A2 had finally won "The Old Mug"

The tradition started in 1851 when the schooner "America" took it off the British in the English Channel.

Cheers