PDA

View Full Version here: : Have you seen 'all there is to see?'

overlord
30-06-2012, 11:34 AM
I have seen all there is to see from my location. Basically there is little else except areas I am not so interested in. :confused2:

One night I had a lot of fun with the 50x hunting double stars and then switch to 158x to zoom in a thousand light years closer. :eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

But I can't say that really apeals to me that much. No, no it doesn't. :shrug:

Planets can't be seen that well with an 8inch and i'm not buying another scope cos then I wouldn't use the one that I have! Do yall have this dilemma.

Nope, no time for that, must play golf now. :thumbsup:

Yes, every day I shall play golf except weekends. Yes! :screwy:

leon
30-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Chucky, mate it is never ending, but one dose sometimes think that is all there is.
As time goes by and you do the other things you like it will come back to you,
You will, appreciate it more and learn, then when you want to do imaging, look out, you will be hooked, and broke for ever.

Your best option at times is to lay on your back in the backyard with a good pair of Binoculars and enjoy, you will see much more.

It takes time.

Leon :thumbsup:

overlord
01-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Thanks Leon!

I have seen it all I tell you!

I have been observing since Halley's Comet!

And every year the lights grow dimmer as the city sprawls with megasurplus-overpopulation.

But still, nothing can o'erturn that unfathomable cosmic vista. One can still see deeply into the depths of that impenetrable heart of darkeness, in spite of it all!

Do you know in Tokyo, you can't see any stars at all... according to my Jap friend.

jjjnettie
01-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Good advice Leon.

mental4astro
01-07-2012, 05:16 PM
I too have been observing since Halley's. Yet I always find something new in both previously unseen objects AND the well trodden.

Miranda & Triton? The three stellar shock waves in Eta Carina? The 5 PN in M7?

Maybe you should revisit everything you've seen as I'm sure that with the experience you've garnered in these last 30years you'll rip even more out of the old scope & objects than before.

Maybe share with us your experience. What's been most memorable? Techniques that have proven gold for you? How you recorded your observations? Tell us all!

Could we suggest other challenges?

leon
01-07-2012, 05:47 PM
And by the way Chucky, I too started with Halleys Comet all those years ago, however on a dark clear night i just keep looking.

Leon

overlord
01-07-2012, 11:00 PM
I was five years old.... Dad said:

'Look... can you see it? and pointed, and pushed the binoculars to my face'.

I said 'yeah', but I don't think I saw it, as I didn't want to kick up a fuss.

The binoculars were pointing in the wrong direction.

Such is life.

Ric
02-07-2012, 02:34 AM
There's way to much out there to say you've seen it all.

I've been observing for around 45 years and I'm still finding stuff I didn't know about.

I was looking at an APOD the other day and discovered a new challenge in someone's image "HH32" I haven't seen that for myself so it's now on my list of things to see.

Cheers

tlgerdes
02-07-2012, 09:04 AM
I think you should say, "I have seen all I can see with an 8inch F5". Time for a bigger scope, say a 16" collapsible, that way it can still be portable :D or try astrophotography :thumbsup:, the things you can see with 5+ mins of exposure are incredible.

overlord
02-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Yeah ok maybe there was a hint of hyperbole in my posts.

I guess there is more to see. :/

But I meant I keep swinging the scope past the same things.

Why?! Why me!

TrevorW
02-07-2012, 11:57 AM
I've had a fascination with Astronomy for 40 odd years and the passion comes and goes

But when you get the chance to view that vista under dark skies you know you haven't seen it all and ponder those days when you'll have the time to see and image those skies on a regular basis travelling in your retirement years

Oh and don't forget size doesn't count but quality does

tlgerdes
02-07-2012, 01:42 PM
Is that the English pronunciation or the Gillard pronunciation? :lol:

Omaroo
02-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Isn't that where they play football?

Oh... hang on... that's the SuperBole :lol:

Sarge
03-07-2012, 03:34 PM
I don't think you can ever see "all there is to see".
Most of the light we see now eminated thousands or millions of light years ago - we have a heck of a lot of catching up.

PS: I want to hang around till Eta Carina explodes.
:lol::lol::lol:

Clear skies

Rod
:D:D

GrampianStars
04-07-2012, 02:39 AM
Best bet is to have a log book or spreadsheet and record what you have seen Right HERE!
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-638-0-0-1-0.html
Planets are nice and crisp in my 8" 30year old SCT
Golf @ night :question:

Poita
04-07-2012, 07:39 AM
I have one word for you:
Solar.

It is so dynamic it changes from minute to minute, there is something new to see *every* day.

MattT
04-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Oh dear oh dear...only cure is to take a good pair of bino's and relax in the backyard. I too have been at this game since the mid 70's with the odd few years off always something to see.