PDA

View Full Version here: : Noah's Ark and the Flood

GeoffW1
28-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Hi,

This might interest a few: was there a Flood? Did someone build a boat?

SBS 2 at 7.40 pm tonight:

"The story of Noah's Ark has always exercised a strange fascination for people, and many have tried to find the remains of the legendary boat. In the 1950s a French explorer, Fernand Navarra, returned from Mount Ararat with a plank he found in a crevasse in a glacier. It was carbon-dated and found to be nearly 5000 years old. This program reveals that there really was a great flood."

Cheers

FlashDrive
28-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Thanks Geoff ... I like a good Doc'o .... especially ancient history and Biblical Events.

Flash :hi:

AstralTraveller
29-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Unfortunately I didn't see that it was on until today and at the moment it isn't available via SBS OnDemand. Pity, as I would have liked to know what line they took. Especially as I know what happened. ;)

Chris.B
29-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Missed it as well.
I do know that there are North American Indian legends of a great flood and an Indian/s building a raft to ride it out.

troypiggo
29-06-2012, 03:07 PM
There was another one just recently shown in the documentary "Bruce Almighty."

FlashDrive
29-06-2012, 03:12 PM
:lol: Come on then .... :lol: I'm waiting .. and so are the others :lol:

This should be good ...!!! :lol:

Flash :hi:

AstralTraveller
29-06-2012, 03:23 PM
There were quite a few great floods in Nth America and you'd have needed more than a raft to ride them out. There was the Lake Bonneville "flood that geologists estimate to have lasted up to a year. It is estimated that this breach [of the natural dam] released 1,000 cubic miles (4,200 km3) of water in the first few weeks."

Further north were the Missoula Floods, first recognised in the 1920 by Bretz. It's now believed that there were 40+ floods over a 2000 year period at the end of the last glacial as ice dams formed and ruptured. Estimates of the peak flow rate of the largest flood range from 17 cubic kilometers per hour[/URL] up to 60 cubic kilometers per hour. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missoula_Floods#cite_note-Bjornstad-2) The maximum flow speed approached 36 meters/second (130 km/h or 80 mph).

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Bonneville
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missoula_Floods

AstralTraveller
29-06-2012, 03:24 PM
So, what did the show say???

FlashDrive
29-06-2012, 03:51 PM
They said it .... rained and rained and rained for 40 days and 40 nights... ( according to Noah's account of the event )
The water came from above the earth ( the heavens ) and even... from below ..!! :D

Your turn now .. :lol: Especially as I know what happened. ;)

Flash :D

jenchris
29-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Sounds like we went through the tail of a CO2 and water ice comet

Baddad
29-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Hi All,

Noah's Ark had always intrigued me when I was a junior.
I thought who could have had the super human strength and speed in cleaning the Ark.

All those animals would make a humungus mess. Then there was the feeding and the....

My brain hurts.

Cheers

astroron
29-06-2012, 04:18 PM
I really didn't think much of it at all:shrug:
The geology was ok, but the rest was nothing
but rehashing what was mostly known from historical
records.
They never found anything of substance of the Ark,
and the bits of wood that they reckon came from the ark
that was shown, had been cut by a saw, and yet the person
who supposedly brought down from the mountain used an axe.
The Turks and the Russians have frowned about people climbing the mountain over the years, which in my mind has added to the mystery.
Cheers:thumbsup:

lacad01
29-06-2012, 04:24 PM
...and this has what to do with an astronomy forum..:question:

troypiggo
29-06-2012, 04:27 PM
It's the General Chat section ;)

chris lewis
29-06-2012, 04:31 PM
Articles on the Noahs Ark myth should not be placed here. It is more suitable for the numerous delusional religous sites. We do not live in the dark ages any more. Critical thinking and science has replaced blind faith.Time to move on.

Chris

Stardrifter_WA
29-06-2012, 04:48 PM
I only have one question. If it rained for 40 days and nights and flooded the world to the extent that an, alleged, Ark wound up sitting on top of a mountain, where did all the water come from, and where did it all go afterwards:question: Or am I just being too anal :question:

GeoffW1
29-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Chris,

You are most certainly entitled to an opinion, in fact, that's the whole point if you see what I mean.

Note that I posted no article, and nor did anyone else I feel. I posted a heads-up for anyone who might feel interested in a TV show. That's all it was. Let's ease up a bit.

Cheers

astroron
29-06-2012, 05:06 PM
I really think you have to take it in the context of the time it was supposed to have happened.
The world was a smaller place then, people didn't travel as much and basically their world was the countries around where they lived.
I am not looking at this in the religous sense but in the historical and geological scheme of things.
It seems that there is no doubt that a flood occured, and if you had watched the program, they gave a perfectly logical explanation as to where the water came from.
Not a believer in the ark myself but am willing to believe there was a flood way back in history.

troypiggo
29-06-2012, 05:13 PM
I'm an atheist, but that comment is pretty ordinary, mate. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and belief, and this is the General Chat section where anything goes. So time you moved on if you don't like it.

Stardrifter_WA
29-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Seriously Ron, a flood big enough to put a boat on top of a mountain? :eyepop: Frankly, I don't doubt that there may have been a major flood at the time, but it is beyond believable that it would have been big enough to put a boat on top of a mountain. But then, you can call me the worlds biggest sceptic anyway. :D

astroron
29-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Not a believer in the ark myself but am willing to believe there was a flood way back in history.;)

chris lewis
29-06-2012, 06:02 PM
I see some religious apologist's are appearing on the site. Using personal attacks does not help you your cause. I make no apolgy in using rationale thinking when is comes to myth debunking. Below is a site that may help some here 'move on'.

Chris

http://www.skepdic.com/noahsark.html

astroron
29-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Could you number the offending religious apologists posts? as I did not see one post in favour of the biblical account:shrug:
Defineitly not my posts.

Stardrifter_WA
29-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Hey Chris,

I have my beliefs and others have theirs and I reckon that is perfectly fine. :) I will defend their right to their beliefs and opinions, always, just as much as I will defend my right to have my beliefs and opinions. Any comments I make are not intended to change anyone's beliefs, as only they can do that, and are made in the spirit of free and open discussion, which this forum is for, at least, that is what I thought it was. Nor are any comments, in any way, are a personal attack on anyone's beliefs, I would never do that, at least, not intentionally. Besides, it would be a very dull world if we all had the same ideas and would make for very short discussions on this type of forum.

Through discussing ideas, if we are lucky, we grow as individuals, as we expand our horizons and consider new ideas and concepts.

At least, we are allowed to have an opinion in this country, and for that I am truly thankful. Furthermore, we are also very lucky indeed to be able to have a forum where we can express different ideas, without fear.

Cheers Peter :)

xstream
29-06-2012, 09:08 PM
This forum be it general chat or not is not open to discuss ones or anyone else's entitlements to their beliefs, refer to the TOS (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/announcement.php?f=23&a=3).
So before it gets too out of hand!
Thread closed.