PDA

View Full Version here: : Moonlite or Williams Optics focuser

MattT
25-06-2012, 12:33 PM
Hi all,
I'm wanting to upgrade the focuser on my 6" refractor and Moonlite looks like the best out there. The only concern is my computer tells me that it can't confirm their site is genuine, as their certificate has expired at the end of May this year:confused2: Don't want to send credit card details without being sure that I'm dealing with the real Moonlite company. Should I ignore my computer or what?
The other choice is a Williams Optics focuser from Andrews Communications, at least they have them in stock. The prices are much the same.
Moonlite or WO? What should I do?
Matt

Barrykgerdes
25-06-2012, 01:15 PM
My son Trevor just bought a moonlight focuser and was happy with the service and warrantee.

I found that it also works perfectly from the LX200 focus supply on my LX200 telescope.

Barry

Terry B
25-06-2012, 01:36 PM
I have recently bought a moonlight focuser. Their website also gave me the warning. I chose to pay with bpay just in case. I received an email from them stating that the website cert had expired and that is the reason for the warning. The focuser was posted within 48 hours of my order and I had it within 1 week. Pretty good service.

TrevorW
25-06-2012, 04:17 PM
WO produce nicely machined gear, as do Moonlite

WO provide excellent customer service as do Moonlite

Both focusers are solidly made

If you intend to do imaging I'd go with Moonlite

brian nordstrom
25-06-2012, 04:36 PM
:) Have you considered a FeatherTouch ? the best there is .
Google, AEC , Astromony and Electronics Center , they are in South Australia .
I have one on my 127mm APO and its so good . :D .
Brian.

TrevorW
25-06-2012, 05:36 PM
http://www.williamoptics.com/wo_shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=547

http://www.focuser.com/storefront.shtml

http://starlightinstruments.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=37_49&product_id=62

If cost is an issue the WO focuser is the cheapest, you may also need an adapter to fit your particaular brand of scope

barx1963
25-06-2012, 06:26 PM
I have recently installed a Moonlite on my 12" dob and I think it is brilliant. No problem with recommending it to anyone else. Fit and finish are excellent and it is a joy to use. Customer service was excellent as well.
Bought it direct from them at the focuser.com website.

Malcolm

pgc hunter
25-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Moonlite is very nice, I have one aswell. Smooth, finger-tip fluid motion. The only higher level focuser IMO is the Feathertouch. Definately would get a Moonlite again, if you go with that route, you won't be disappointed.

alistairsam
25-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Hi mathew
I just ordered a moonlite focuser last week and had the same issue with the expired cert.
You just choose "other" in the payment method and they'll send you the email add for a PayPal payment.
I did that and got the USPS notification that it was shipped in 24 hrs.
I wouldn't do an online cc pmt with the expired cert, but PayPal is safe enough.

brian nordstrom
25-06-2012, 09:18 PM
:confused2: just like a feathertouch , from Starlight instruments ? .
Like this ? . Engineering elegance .
Feel just like a moonlight . :).Sorry but no , a R&P will always feel better in the hand than a Crayford . Its engineering .
Brian.

tlgerdes
25-06-2012, 10:06 PM
An expired SSL certificate means just that, that the date has run out nothing else, the system still encrypts exactly as it did when it wasnt expired.

If you check that the name of the website matches your certificate then you are usually good to go.

How many people check that a real, non expired, SSL certificate is from the same place they logged onto?

brian nordstrom
25-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Yep ? Here is another photo of the best .
Enjoy , I hope you all do .
Brian .

MattT
26-06-2012, 08:23 AM
Lovely photos Brian and thanks everyone else for info. I'm going to go for the Moonlite which was my first choice. Feathertouch is a bit over the budget and the WO doesn't have the longer drawtube of the Moonlite, and I'll pay through paypal to avoid credit card over the net boo boo's.The focuser will cost more than the OTA...:question:
Matt

tlgerdes
26-06-2012, 09:34 AM
I think that says more about the OTA than the focuser.:shrug:

AstralTraveller
26-06-2012, 10:37 AM
I've got a motor driven Moonlite (you must must get the motor drive for a refractor!!) for my 6" refractor and yes it is worth more than the OTA but it is more than twice the scope with the good focusser attached. The improvement in focus must get you at least an extra 0.5 mag and the improvement in planetary detail is palpable.

MattT
26-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Oh no I can feel the budget slowly going south...or is it north? Might have to wait a bit longer then. Good point on mags though David, I love my 6" frac so....
Matt

marki
27-06-2012, 12:27 AM
I have both FT and moonlite focusers. In manual mode I prefer the moonlite as it is so smooth you can focus with one finger on the reduction knob so minimum vibration. The FT has a much heavier feel to it so I attached a robofocus unit and the FT design means a very heavy unit but both are very solid. I also have a moonlite with stepper motor and this unit is bullet proof. Absolute pin point repeatability but the stepper motor is slow unless you buy the dedicated focus controller from Ron which adds plenty to the cost. Fit and finish is much the same on both barring all the pretty colours you can choose with the moonlite. One problem with the moonlite is the barrels tend to score where the bearings run after lots of use and you do not want the drawtube with the single thumb screw, the 3 thumb screw version with the compression ring is a must have to save scoring on ep's and diagonals etc. The FT advantage lies in the rail giving it a bit more lifting power but I am yet to have a moonlite slip either so unless you are lifting 2.5kg + the advantage is really debatable. As for sales service (Ron is second to none) and customised items there is no comparison, moolite wins by a country mile. Order a customised flange with your moonlite and it will be on its way in 48 hours after the details are finalised. Do the same with starlight and you are in for a 6 month wait. I had a real nightmare getting the right FT focuser for my WO FLT98CF, took 3 months to convince them there was a problem with the first unit they sent but thats another story I guess.

Mark

brian nordstrom
27-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Thanks Mark , for that .
And Matt , I look forward to seeing the finished scope , you wont be dissapointed with the moonlight , also dont worry about the cost as its :D a once only expence .. :question: ...
Please let us know when it arrives . It will look good on your 6 inch frac.
Brian.

AstralTraveller
27-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Matt, I have the DC servo motor drive because I'm only interested in visual work. The stepper motor version is doubtless very good but is overkill for my needs. If it was on a dobs I wouldn't worry about the motor (I don't have one on my lightbridge) but with a long tube on a GC5 mount I think there would be just too much vibration to get a good focus.