PDA

View Full Version here: : Note of thanks and affirmation - repair of SBIG ST8300C camera

rcheshire
22-06-2012, 11:36 AM
I am not sure that this is the correct forum for this, but anyway...

I would like to mention the excellent response by SBIG and Australian agent Peter Ward in relation to the service/repair of an ST-8300C that I purchased some months back.

I received the camera in "perfect / pristine condition and was very happy with the purchase" - the price was very reasonable too.

I did however, manage to break it. Or it just broke. A hardware problem. No idea really - stuff happens. I'm sure that SBIG will provide a summary.

Fortunately, the camera was 12 months old with 12 months remaining on the warranty, which is transferable. Still waiting on it to come back, but I am told it will be returned very soon.

The camera was in perfect working order when I received it and I managed to enjoy several nights learning how to use it. I am looking forward to getting it back into use soon.

EDIT: Be careful if connecting to Linux USB. Make sure that the program you are using is stable and well tested - such as KStars.

Octane
22-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Rowland,

I'm in the same boat as you. If you go through my posting history, you'll also find me praising Peter's customer service and assistance when I managed to break the filter wheel of my STL-11000M (twice!). Peter fixed it on both occasions free of charge.

Will deal with again when the time comes. :)

H

Stardrifter_WA
22-06-2012, 05:26 PM
I have always said that it actually isn't important whether you have a problem, as these will sometimes occur, but how that problem is dealt with. I have well exceeded customers expectations when a problem occurred. Through doing so, even when it has cost me dearly, I have gained something much more valuable..........trust. And this isn't something that is or should be easily earned :)

Shark Bait
22-06-2012, 05:47 PM
:thumbsup: Hard to beat great customer service. The astro community seems to do well at this.

rcheshire
22-06-2012, 06:09 PM
I am very impressed with the service and not sure how I would have faired otherwise. Trust is everything.

Peter Ward
24-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Ah.. well....both analog and digital boards were stuffed.

Not normally a warranty repair, but hey, stuff happens... so better to, wear it, fix it, and move on.

Also, from a customer perspective, not having to shell-out for a $A900 repair bill is a good reason to buy locally IMHO ;)

Omaroo
25-06-2012, 09:31 AM
??

Octane
25-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Sorry, Chris.

For those wondering what Chris is on about, he repaired it the second time (for which I'm eternally grateful as I was about to go to Border Stargaze -- never mind the fact that I couldn't use my camera due to the rain!). When I got back, Peter replaced the circuit board for me as a precaution.

Excellent customer service all around! :D

H

Omaroo
25-06-2012, 10:48 AM
LOL... Sorry mate, I wasn't looking for that. I just wasn't aware of the other breakage, that's all. Twice? Hmmm... Before of after our one?

Octane
25-06-2012, 11:17 AM
The one you fixed was the second one. Peter replaced the board and I haven't had any problems since. :)

H