PDA

View Full Version here: : Permanent Nuclear Winter

pgc hunter
19-06-2012, 10:22 PM
The old adage that Melbourne suffers from a Permanent Nuclear Winter is true.

warning... don't look if you're squeamish, the following link is extremely graphic and could send you catatonic like Ned in South Park if you live in this subarctic maritime climate and look at it.

http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/melbourne.shtml

Forgey
20-06-2012, 12:30 AM
hmmm doesn't look pretty.

rat156
20-06-2012, 01:10 AM
But it is clear tonight!

JB80
20-06-2012, 01:26 AM
Looks like Belgium in the summer. :p

pgc hunter
20-06-2012, 01:32 AM
:rofl:

Useless:

Exfso
20-06-2012, 06:32 PM
All I can say is it is nearly mid winter, what can you expect! Adelaide is just as bad, just a little closer to the equator, and I mean a little!!

rat156
20-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Didn't stop me imaging, even took pictures through the earthquake! The seeing wasn't that bad, I never trust those maps, use the Mk I eyeball, look up and see what you can see. The AOL wasn't working overtime, so it all worked out well.

Cheers
Stuart

tlgerdes
20-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Just looks like normal Melbourne weather :shrug: :P

pgc hunter
21-06-2012, 01:39 AM
Last time I set up in such conditions, I was back inside within the hour. The only thing worse than being under a massive jetstream is being on the boundary of the jetstream and stable skies. Conflicting airmasses, turbulence galore.

It looks like Melbourne weather in the ice-age. Seems to get worse with every passing year. In the 20 years I lived in this putrid climate, I've never seen a forecast as cold as that, nor the amount of cloudiness so far this winter. Currently browsing SEEK for jobs in Darwin, WA and Queensland. I'm done with this endless subarctic drizzle, constant overcast slate-grey layer cloud sunless crap

Really going to hit it head on now, more determined than ever to get outta this rut

GrahamL
21-06-2012, 07:07 AM
I actually look forward to your nuclear winter posts each year Sab .

Not because I personally wish crap weather on anyone , but because it signals change , the endless summer rain ( pretty much 5 months of it )
up in the north has eased and gone somewhere else (south), take care mate and get out when you can:thumbsup:

andyc
21-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Subarctic? Melbourne?? :eyepop: You should try growing up near 60 degrees north, where I come from! Here there's hardly a frost to speak of and I've had several excellent transpararent clear nights this past New Moon. That's several more than in grey weather back home, where typical cold grey daytime winter maxes are <4C and can last several weeks under stalled weather systems (Australian weather systems almost never stall for more than a few days). Good nights would always be frosty ones (see below). And when it clears up here, there's the centre of the Galaxy overhead!!

Pour yourself a wee malt to warm yourself this cold rainy midwinter's day, don't forget we're just 38 degrees from the equator and have lots of warm clear skies to look forward to in the coming spring and summer. Clear skies :).

Poita
21-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Those Melbourne temperatures look positively tropical to me, it was -4 this morning when I took the kids to school.

goober
21-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Sab, here at the BoM we loooooove days like this :)

leon
21-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Oh bugger Alice has just flown there today, :eyepop: from balmy Darwin.;)
serves her right for leaving me here :lol: :lol: :lol:

Leon :thumbsup:

AstralTraveller
21-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Actually I think you'd like the ice age better. Not that much colder but much much drier. So dry that there were sand dunes blowing about in northern Tasmania. It used to be thought that it was windier but we now know for sure that peak wind speeds were no higher and winds may not have even been more common.

And for the committed carnivores there was all that megafauna running about (or lumbering about).

It sounds like you should. If it's getting you down and you can make the move then do it. If you don't you could wind up like me, and I'm sure many others, where moving is not an option.

cometcatcher
21-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Global warming doesn't seem to be working. :)

Poita
21-06-2012, 02:59 PM
Having nearly gone insane in Darwin during the endless weeks of the wet, I'd think twice about swapping one weather condition for another.

andyc
21-06-2012, 06:29 PM
The bad weather outside is called winter. It happens each year around this time :P. Global warming is (of course) something else entirely, and continues, unaffected by cold rain in Melbourne! May was the second hottest for the globe on record (http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/), a wee bit concerning for an ENSO-neutral month following La Nina. The coming year will be "interesting".

pgc hunter
21-06-2012, 11:14 PM
I doubt Darwin's wet season is cloudier than Melbourne's winters. I'd rather the 3-4 months of thunderstorms, lightningg and heavy tropical showers. Far, far more exciting than Melbourne's 3-4 months of cold drizzle and slate-grey overcast boring layer cloud.

leon
22-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Yep I'll second that. my intentions is to stay for the wet. need to experience it first hand, and cant wait for some decent storms.

Leon

pgc hunter
09-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Well, after week after torturous week of nothing but solid Melbourne Cloud and rainy drizzle muck, tonight was FINALLY supposed to be clear, and well it is at the moment. So I make up an observing list. Check the southern horizon, what do I see? High cloud. Check the satpic, and sure enough, yes there is a mass of high cloud moving right in.

'Scuse me while I go and break something on my way to Dan Murphys.

DavidU
09-09-2012, 04:13 PM
Melbourneites are cursed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pgc hunter
09-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Just got back from Dan Murphys and the high cloud is now twice as high above the horizon :mad2: Yes, arrives just in time.

Well, this abortion of yet another promising session was the last opportunity for another googolplex centuries I am sure of that.

pgc hunter
11-09-2012, 12:07 AM
hmmm, tonight was forecast to be clear, so why am I seeing full overcast? Oh yeah, that's right, I forgot that Melbourne is the world's largest Antarctic reseach station and has been annexed by Macquarie Island (along with its 300 days of rain per year)

But I guess there is no point it being clear, as there is a 300km/h jetstream overhead according to Skippysky (burgandy with Melbourne at the epicentre on the jetstream map).

pgc hunter
12-09-2012, 11:57 PM
The weekend was supposed to be sunny, now they've downgraded the forecast to the usual stupid rain, while Perfffffffffffffffffffffffffffff and Sydney will remain sunny and hot as per usual.

Time to sell my stuff and use the proceeds to GTFO of this cold subarctic maritime oceanic cold front factory before every last hair on my frayed noggin gets bleached slate-grey like Melbourne's skies?

mental4astro
13-09-2012, 12:29 AM
Even if Sydney is "perfect", I've got a wedding to attend. May as well be cloudy.

But it will be a blast dancing with the kids! THAT I'm looking forward to!

pgc hunter
13-09-2012, 12:34 AM
Compared to Melbourne it is a paradise. Fair chance it'll be sunny going by Sydney's current track record. If it were in Melbourne, you'd be knee deep in mud, and that's if you were lucky enough not to get washed out by the incessant rain here just like I am when I attempt to walk my dog in the park (for the last 4 months nonetheless) :sadeyes:

Mudbourne ftw! Used to love playing in mud as a child, little did I know back then that I lived in Australia's best climate for mud. Anyone that lives anywhere else in Australia (except coastal Vic and Tasmania), count yer blessings...

mental4astro
13-09-2012, 10:30 AM
By the way, Sab, you still have a long time still left owing on bad weather because of your new SDM! You've brought it upon yourself my friend, :lol: .

Fellow melbournites, you know who to blame. It's gonna take a few sacrifical telescopes to be smashed up to deal with Sab's folly :eyepop:

If all you've got is mud, then use it to make an observatory/windbreak with mudbricks! Use it to your advantage, ;) . Nothing will peeve the weather gods more!

andyc
13-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Not sure where all this bad weather is? Seen several pretty nice evenings in the last week or so, had the little scope out a couple of times to enjoy the sights of the Milky Way (including that lovely evening where there was rumour of high cloud). But maybe my standards of clear sky are lower than Sab's! And definitely a decent chance of some clear skies at the weekend, looking at the forecast.

As they say, clear skies to all!

goober
13-09-2012, 01:58 PM
BoM was saying on Monday that rain was coming into Melbourne on Wednesday evening/night. Bang on, as usual :thumbsup:

You should check out ecmwf.int ... you can see the weather coming 7-10 days out, and the do have the best model.

andyc
13-09-2012, 10:34 PM
It's clear outside again, get your scope out, Sab!!:eyepop:
(sorry, couldn't resist:P)

pgc hunter
15-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Alex, I guess my new scope curse debt is a year per inch of aperture. Should've just ordered a 1 incher :lol:

Doug I check skippysky and BSCH's satellite loop to predict the night ahead,. Skippysky's cloud prediction is accurate for a good 24 hours ahead. BSCH's hi res satellite loops are great for predicting where incoming cloud bands will be in the next few hours.

Example - today. Lots of high cloud near Adelaide blooming faster than a 50 megaton mushroom cloud and moving towards yours truly :mad2: Estimating the distance covered by this filth over a time period of 4 hours on the satpic loop for example, I estimate it will be over Melbourne by midnight.

The BOM's predictions of sunshine a few days ahead invariably degenerate into "cloudy with showers" by the time the day actually arrives. Probably just because it's Melbourne though.