PDA

View Full Version here: : WANTED: Travel companion to Cairns Eclipse

Analog6
18-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Well it looks like I might be able to make it to the Cairns TSE on 14 November this year after all.

The tentative plan is drive up in the van, stay 7 nights at Glengarry Caravan park/resort (http://www.glengarrypark.com.au/) at Mowbray which is north of Oak Beach, drive home. The park has vacancies for powered sites, and I have a bed base and all my camping equipment in the van. I use a marquee thingy at the back (see pics here (http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d197/Analog6/VAN%20CAMPING/)). Free WiFi is available.

I am allowing 4 days to drive up leaving tweed heads on 7 November and arriving Cairns 11 November. That gives a couple of days to scout Oak Beach and alternatives. I plan to so some sightseeing and hopefully have a trip on the Kuranda railway, and do some photography, as I've never been north of Maleny before! Coming back depart am Mon 18 Nov & 3 or 4 days to drive home.

You would need to bring stretcher/sleeping bag/whatever you use (you can set up in the marquee but I'd sure advise being off the ground as it is creepy crawley territory); your observing gear, some cooking stuff like frypan and a couple of pots, personal items for shower, washing etc.

I have a power board with a light & 3 power points in it, long cords, a worktable (for computers, cooking etc), 2 burner gas stove, gas light, cooking gear, and a couple opf water bottles.

So if anyoner would like to come along let me know. I'll give this a week or two here then if there are no takers put it on my photo forums as well.

I would aks for contribution of 50% of fuel and van park costs (from memory $48 per night so 50% is $24 x 7 nights) & any accommodation costs on route. And buy your own food etc

EDITED TO ADD:

After some quick research:
1873 kms / 4 = 468km per day

1873 x 2 / 600 = 6.3 tank fuel. Allowing $100 per tank (it may well be less, I filled up for $80 the other day and it was really empty) comes to $630 for fuel. There will be extra for side trips and sightseeing but those will be my call.

Accommodation:
Glengarry powered site 7 nights @ $48 = $336.
Accommodation along the way, say $45 per night x 7 = $315.00

UNALTERABLE COSTS: $1300. So half would be $650.

Analog6
20-06-2012, 01:35 PM
Well, it is booked and I have paid the 2 nights deposit, and have a booking number. I'm starting to get excited.

I did email one of the solar filter suppliers but haven't had an answer back so have to chase them up. Can anyone think of a way to mount the solar sheet into my 100x100 Lee filter holder. How robust is the stuff?

h0ughy
20-06-2012, 03:41 PM
i will be there in the same park staying in the deluxe cabin - so we can work it out with the solar filter if you like - but doing it before hand would be preferable be there from the sunday to thursday

mithrandir
20-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Odille, you might get other solutions. This works for me.

Take a couple of sheets of heavy cardboard of a size to be a tight fit in the filter holder. You could add more sheets if that's not stiff enough.
Cut a hole in the centre of the cardboard about the same size as the lens barrel.
Place a sheet of solar filter between the two sheets,
Staple at several places around the edge so the staples will be outside the front lens element. I found glue would not work. Do not make the film tight. It must not stretch. A few ripples do not matter.
Trim the film to the cardboard.
Store in a ziplock freezer bag between a couple of sheets of tissue.

That's similar to how I did my binoculars.

Analog6
21-06-2012, 04:21 AM
I plan to arrive a few days beforehand, I've booked from the Sunday (11th) to Saturday (17th). Mithrandir, I'll try that. I know I have an A4 piece somewhere but I'll order some anyway as I put the other in a "safe place"!

jjjnettie
21-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Ahhh I have quite a few things stored there too.
Good luck finding a travel companion. :) I would have jumped at it, but I'm driving up with my 2 teenage boys. :)

Analog6
27-06-2012, 07:15 AM
Hopefully when I tear the 2 rooms i am sure it might be in apart!

I was so hopeful of finding someone to drive up with, no luck on my photo forum either. I hesitate to put it on Facebook, I'll have a think about that one.

xstream
27-06-2012, 07:33 AM
Odille, I would just sit awhile on your request as there is sometime to go yet.
Just give the thread a bump every couple of weeks.

jjjnettie
27-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Agreed.
If you are coming up for QLD Astrofest, you could put a flyer on the notice board. You could also email all the astro societies in SEQ and let them know too. They might put it in their new letters. :)

Analog6
01-07-2012, 07:18 AM
Thanks for those suggestions. I am not coming to Astro fest, unfortunately, if I do a notice and email it to you as a pdf could you orint one pin it up for me? I'd be so grateful. I hadn't thought of the astro societies, I will try them.

I thought of flying but there are no affordable cabins left anywhere and I would have difficulty bringing all my camera gear. Plus the fact that I enjoy journeys as much as their destinations.

jjjnettie
01-07-2012, 12:40 PM
I think we have the situation well and truly sorted now. :D
I'm looking forward to our road trip Odille. :D

Analog6
01-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Me too!

Analog6
02-07-2012, 06:06 AM
Yes, jjjnettie and I are driving up together! This is starting to look like a lot of fun and good times. Is anyone else from here staying at Glengarry (apart from Houghy)?

jjjnettie
02-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Our Jen is staying at Palm Cove and hopes to join us on the morning :)