PDA

View Full Version here: : Removing old carpet adhesive from a concrete floor.

rcheshire
17-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Digressing from journalism for a while. I am trying to remove underfelt adhesive from a concrete floor. The previous carpet layer glued foam sheet to the floor. I've managed to remove the foam, scraping it off with a sharp shovel, but how on earth do I remove the adhesive. Apparently, it must be removed prior to laying new carpet.

Tried scraping and sanding. Short of a heat gun producing toxic fumes any ideas on the best way to remove this stuff.

Anyone had experience with this.

EDIT: Angle grinder makes too much dust.

Regards,

Rowland.

stephenb
17-06-2012, 01:59 PM
I assume it is a contact adhesive type? Similar to Selleys Kwik Grip? The advise about removing the adhesive first, what was the reason or basis for removing it? I personally wouldn't be concerned too much about removing the adhesive if you are laying a new foam underlay directly on top of it. I cannot anticipate any issues in doing that. The same goes for laying carpet directly onto the concrete (with adhesive still on it). As long as the surface was flat.

Edit: are you planning to glue the new carpet to the slab? If so I still cannot foresee any issues with leaving the old adhesive in place.

midnight
17-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Last year I removed an old vinyl layering on concrete and it was glued. Removing the glue was quite difficult as I needed to remove for preparing to tile.

I found mineral turps to work. Basically pour onto the floor and wait a few minutes and follow up with a heavy duty broom (thick bristle) with the rubber strip on the back. This worked well.

At a previous house I lived in, the guys short cutted by not removing the old glue and glued over the top. The glue reacted and about a year later, carpet was beginning to "pocket" (honeycomb underneath) and became a trip hazard. I suspect the reason you would remove the old glue is perhaps incompatibility with a previous product reacting with a new glue. Anyway, just my experience which resulted in a $1000+ re-layering exercise.

Good luck,
Darrin...

rcheshire
17-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Thanks guys. We have been told by the company laying the carpet to clean the floor back to bare concrete, perhaps for the reasons Darren quoted. Still, I agree, underlay over the top with no adhesive shouldn't pose a problem. I'm trying cloudy ammonia right now followed by a scraper. But turps sounds like a good solution too. Just as well I have a big fan to ventilate the room.

Irish stargazer
17-06-2012, 08:09 PM
A citrus based solvent might work ( based on d-limonene). It's not so harsh and more pleasant to use.
I remember scraping down an entire house after the previous owner glued a rubber backed carpet straight onto the wooden floorboards. Took weeks to clean.

rcheshire
17-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Thanks John. Wish I had more time. Underestimated the difficulties with only days to go. I'll have to leave it to the experts.

stephenb
17-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Pity you don't have more time. I was also thinking of a wire brush attachment on an electric drill might work well. Best of luck anyway. :thumbsup: These little tasks are sent to try us.

tlgerdes
18-06-2012, 03:21 PM
Turps or Acetone with a paint scraper and bucket. It is going to get gooey.

Brushes (metal or bristle) of any kind are going to get goo'ed up as soon as the glue starts to dissolve, and will create more mess.

stephenb
18-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Very good point, Terry. :thumbsup:

tlgerdes
18-06-2012, 08:51 PM
That's ok Stuart :P

The name's Trevor

tlgerdes
18-06-2012, 08:55 PM
I had to clean some double sided tape off the side of my telescope on the weekend. After wiping it with turps, the tape turned to something like melted marshmallow.

DavidU
18-06-2012, 09:03 PM
When using thinners etc always have a fire extinguisher ready because a metal tool scraping concrete can make a spark.

stephenb
18-06-2012, 09:06 PM
oops Trevor - Sorry :doh: