PDA

View Full Version here: : Report on my Hawaiian Adventure Part 2

barx1963
16-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Wednesday June 6th
We depart for a tour of the Keck Headquarters at Waimea. This is the place where astronomers actually go to make their observations. We are treated to a lecture by one of the staff astronomers on spectroscopy and other aspects of the observing done at Keck. We are then shown around the building and into the main control room.
After arriving back at the hotel, I get some washing done and then I am invited to go snorkeling with Nancy. We go from the beach at the hotel and the water is lovely. Just off the beach there is heaps of coral and lots of different fish. We are lucky to spot an eel and a sea turtle. That evening a few of us get together for another impromptu “Star Party”. Using Bills 80mm and Nancys 4.5” Newt and a pair of 10x50 binos we spend a couple of hours spying out some sights, mainly concentrating on the Southern Sky.
Thursday June 7th
Well the transit tour is now officially over, but I still have lots to do. In the morning I am picked up and head out for a 2 hour helicopter tour of the island. We fly over the saddle between Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea and on to the active volcano Kilauea. We get to see new lava in the vent as well as exploring the main caldera. Then we fly north to Hilo to refuel before heading up to the valleys on the west flank of Kohala. These are massive with lots of waterfall pouring down their flanks.
That evening I join another tour run by Mauna Kea Summit Adventures. After driving up to the summit again we get to watch the sunset and take lots of photos. Highlights are seeing the other mountains and Maui like islands in the clouds, seeing the shadow of MK of to the east and seeing the sun set behind the Subaru and Keck scopes.
Then we head back to a private star party with a couple of C11 scopes. Many of the objects are old favs but I get my first look at M51, M81 and M82 which is a big thrill. Arrive back at the hotel after midnight.
Friday June 8th
I am again picked up to head off on a Volcano and Nature tour. This is nearly a full day. We drive across the island and our first stop is a lava tube on the outskirts of Hilo. Clambering over rocks we go into the tube and it is completely dark. A spooky feeling when you turn of the flashlights. The tube is quite large and the lava formations are interesting. It is odd to think that much of the island is interlaced with these tubes. We move on up to the main Kilauea caldera to view it from the museum in the National Park. It is a huge terraced crater, with steam pouring out of the centre. The Museum explains a lot about the volcanic processes that have formed this island and the history of the current eruption that has been going on since 1983.
We then move to another part of the park and go on a nature walk, seeing lots of steam vents and being shown some of the unique plant life and even some native birds. This is lucky as probably more than anywhere else on earth, Hawaii’s native flora and fauna has been devastated by humans, especially in the last 200 years. In many parts of the islands every living thing you see is non native. Our guide is extremely knowledgeable which is fantastic.
We moved down to the sea to view the shoreline which is constantly being remodeled by the volcanoes. Unfortunately there is no lava flows into the sea at the moment, but it is interesting nonetheless. We have dinner then head back to the museum to view the caldera at night. It is spooky with a bright red glow illuminating the cloud of steam and gas.
I am dropped off at the hotel after midnight, a bit sad that my adventure is nearly at an end.
Saturday June 9th
Not much to tell, trip back to Oz is very uneventful until I get to Sydney. Weather in Sydney causes our plane to be put in a holding pattern for 30mins and when we do get on the ground we had to go through the “flyspray” routine. Unfortunately, the crew mucked up the routine so it all had to be done again. End result was I had to stay in Sydney the night and catch a 7am flight the next morning. Anyway I arrived home to cold old Colac on the Monday morning ready to start work the next day.
Malcolm

silv
18-06-2012, 11:19 AM
What an adventure packed trip! Thank you for sharing!