PDA

View Full Version here: : Heated Vest!

deanm
13-06-2012, 09:48 AM
My better nine-tenths must have noticed how I suffer outside on cold, dark viewing nights.

So, she found and bought (c.$150) me a battery powered, electrically-heated vest!

Apparently, motorbike buffs like them, as do skiers.

I don't have any connections to the company that produces these vests, but I can certainly attest to how warming they are! And up to 4 hours of it - centred on the lower back. Bliss!

http://www.jett.us.com/news.htm

My only criticism is the use of the 'off' switch to change the heat output - seems rather illogical!

Dean

alistairsam
13-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Hi Dean,

That looks really good.
Are the heating elements just at the back or at the Chest as well? Does the whole vest get warm?

Poita
13-06-2012, 11:00 AM
I need heated socks :)

That looks pretty good for $150, would mean many of us would get a lot more use out of our investment in scopes etc.

I wear a snowsuit I got from the Salvos in Goulburn for $30. They have lots of 2nd hand ski gear, and it is the best thing I ever bought, keeps me toasty even on the coldest nights.

jjjnettie
13-06-2012, 11:10 AM
Nice vest. :)

Here you go Poita. :)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Grabber-Heat-Sox-Battery-heated-Extra-Large-Wool-blend-Socks-XL-Mens-shoe-12-15-/190684157043?pt=US_Men_s_Socks&hash=item2c65a95473#ht_500wt_1287

I just took delivery of a pair of USB powered heated fingerless gloves. :)
They work a treat. But you are tethered to the lappy while wearing them, unless you source a portable usb power supply.
But while I'm imaging I'm at the lappy most of the time anyway. :)

Poita
13-06-2012, 11:59 AM
New friend for life!

Thanks JJJ!!

ZeroID
13-06-2012, 12:01 PM
I've got one of those emergency solar powered, crank handled radio torch lights at home which also has a USB output for charging cellphones etc. Could be the answer for a portable and useful power source. Quite small, vest pocket portable I'd say and you can crank charge it if it needs a boost. Keep you amused while you wait for imaging sessions to run ... :D

deanm
13-06-2012, 12:04 PM
The vest that I have is only heated at the back: however, the heater element sits over the largest artery in the body, the aorta.

This means you pump warmed blood around!

:)

deanm
13-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Oh - and one other thing: my Kendrick dew control set-up failed the other night, so I took the vest off and positioned the heater element over the scope aperture for 10 minutes....

Bingo! Dew control!

Dean

jjjnettie
13-06-2012, 12:29 PM
:) I thought of the same thing for these gloves. The elements are removable too.