PDA

View Full Version here: : [PixInsight] BatchPreprocessing template creation tutorial

troypiggo
11-06-2012, 11:52 AM
I know of quite a few people who have bought PixInsight, but only use it for one or two specific features, such as the gradient removal tools, or merging mosaics. The common reasons/excuses given for not using it for their full processing workflow seem to be "there isn't sufficient documentation", "I tried it, but calibrating and stacking images was so tedious, I just want to click a few buttons and have my images stacked", and "I don't want to have to learn a whole new platform."

So I thought I'd write a little tutorial that will hopefully help ease those concerns. I decided a good subject to achieve that would be a howto on using and writing a BatchPreprocessing (BPP) template script, with lots of screenshots to make it easier for those who don't like books without pictures.

Here is the tutorial (http://troypiggo.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/pixinsight-tutorial-batchpreprocessing.html).

I haven't written too many tutorials, so any critique or improvements will be appreciated and incorporated. I hope at least someone finds it useful. I know this simple little script saves me a lot of clicks and navigating every time I process a new target.

peter_4059
11-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Good stuff Troy. This batch processing script cetainly simplifies PI calibration and produces good results. Thanks for taking the time to put the tutorial together.

DavidTrap
11-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Thanks for this Troy. Will definitely give it a go!

PI is definitely more tedious for data reduction than Maxim, but I think it does a better job overall, so is worth the effort.

DT

RobF
11-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Looks very professional at first glance Troy. Should be an incredibly useful write up for new users and others trying to figure out the nuances. Looking forward to having a read and play!

MrB
11-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Thanks Troy!
Bookmarked for when I get some decent data to have a go with the trial version.
Cheers.

Poita
12-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Thank you for that, I was in the middle of writing a tutorial as well, I think your looks better though!

allan gould
12-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Troy, thanks for that. I've been going through the tutorials and I'll give this a try.

troypiggo
12-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Thanks guys. Hope you find it useful.

BTW There was an update since the weekend to the actual BPP script, and now the process icon doesn't seem to remember the bias and dark master filenames. Trying to get to the bottom of it and will update tute if needed.

RobF
12-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Hmmm - thanks for that too - will avoid update until here what the go is....

troypiggo
16-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Solved the problem. It was me. I had unchecked the "export calibration files" option since I was using masters. Apparently this, by design, causes file paths to be excluded in exported instances. Ticked the option again, and everything is fine and as expected.