PDA

View Full Version here: : What the !?

asimov
15-04-2006, 08:42 PM
Ok!....Who stole the drop down menu on the bottom of each page so one can jump from forum to forum!? :(

And we can no longer view who's in the same thread anymore??

danielsun
15-04-2006, 09:00 PM
Yes!! I just noticed the same thing here and thought, Hey WHAT THE...!!!

[1ponders]
15-04-2006, 09:42 PM
What the !?

Ok!....Who stole the drop down menu on the bottom of each page so .......... Oh your onto it Asi. :thumbsup: Nothin' gets past you guys.

I'll try to track down mojo san and find out what's the buzz.

mojo
15-04-2006, 10:00 PM
I'm cutting the size of the pages to save bandwidth and download times especially for dial-up members. I actually didn't think anybody would miss that dropdown menu.
Please live with it for a few days so I can see how the site behaves with smaller page sizes. The size of these pages has to be reduced one way or another.

Stu
18-04-2006, 11:15 PM
Are you using Gzip compression from the server? It will save on text but not much on images because they are already compressed.

You could always convert to SSL, I know that it's usually used for security purposes but the side effect is that when encripting the pages it compresses the content, so they will actually download faster.

Just a thought.

mojo
19-04-2006, 04:41 AM
No, gzip is off. It's a trade-off between bandwidth and server load. I'm trying to reduce both.
But actual page sizes are now considerably smaller than they used to be. And most of the resource hungry SQL stuff like displaying who visited today, is out. MySQL load is much lower now. I'll see how these changes go before I do anything else.