PDA

View Full Version here: : Vixen 8 by 42 Atrek bino's anyone using??

hotspur
08-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Looking at possible bino purchase.I use to own a 8 by 40 'no name' pair of cheap bino's I got from Ron Gibson at Sirus optics for $50 at an astrofest sale.

But my son left home,and so did my 8 by 40's.Even though they were cheap,they were very useful,I used them all the time,looking to replace the with either another $50 pair,or these Vixen 8 by 42's Steve Massey is selling.

http://www.myastroshop.com.au/products/details.asp?id=MAS-039A

Anyone using a pair-what are they like?are they made in Japan or China?
I want them mainly for camping,hunting and general outdoor use,so do not want a 50 mm size pair.Not sure if I should spend the extra $200 on these or just get the $50 cheapies-which I found perfectly useful-even good for astro.

koputai
08-06-2012, 01:14 PM
But you've already got a lovely pair of Vixen bino's Chris!

hotspur
08-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Usually carrying a .222 and a 400L and canon 50D,plus other bits,Jason-not sure if the 15 by 80's would really be suitable:)

Was trying to think of something a bit smaller,any suggestions along the 8 by 40 size would be most appreciated.

cheers:thumbsup:

Derek Klepp
12-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Chris I purchased the NEW FORESTA HR 8x42WP Field 7.4o (VIXENS) for my work pair in the Truck they are superb with great clarity.I was using Nikon 10x50s but they were to big for the glove box.Just pulled them out and yep clarity was awesome.They are also waterproof .They are roof prism and fit perfectly in your grip .a Also quick and easy to focus.I was going to give them to the old man but they just didn,t get there.They are made in China with Japanese glass I suspect. According to Vixen they have stringent Quality control there but they all say that.Still I think they were well worth the money.Mine are used mainly for blossom spotting .Hope this helps
Derek