PDA

View Full Version here: : My Venus Transit Day

Matt Wastell
07-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Hi all,

I had been planning to observe and image the 2012 Venus Transit from the day I observed the 2004 Transit – at the time I knew there would be another one in 2012 and gee the time has flown!
My solar interest was sparked by the 2004 event – I have said this before and although I am not a religious person the event was quite spiritual!?
All my equipment and hours at the scope kind of lead up to yesterday and the day did not disappoint.
I had located several local observing sites for Wednesday – I started this about a year ago! – and as it turned out I set up at a great friends house in Kenmore – J had been describing the movement of the Sun across the sky for weeks and it sounded ideal – although I did have to move once (not bad in over 6 hours). I had also planned the day off (and today for processing) about a year ago too!
I took all of the equipment to J’s on Tuesday night and was like a child in a candy store – I have never been so excited – the forecast was good and in about 10 hours it would all begin – I found it hard to sleep!
6am, set the scopes up – one for visual and one for imaging – all was working very well and first contact was a great sight in the scope. There were plenty of solar features for Venus to drift past.
The 6 and a bit hours flew by and we only had clouds interrupting the very last touch of Venus on the Sun. I imaged heaps but always promised myself to observe as much as I could, as the eye is so much better than the images I can achieve. I have many views burned into my brain (and not because the filters fell off!).
I have attached some images of my notes, the location / scopes and my favorite image from the lot (to date).

Liz
07-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Well done Matt, sounds like you had an amazing day (me too), and your image of Venus on The Sun is stunning. :thumbsup:

AstralTraveller
07-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Great to hear you had a good time and all your hard work paid off. The image is awesome. Isn't expectation a wonderful thing? It increases the joy of success immensely.

I wasn't looking forward to this so much, though I should have been, but I'm counting down to November. Actually I think the November expectation is what pushed the transit expectation into the background. I've got the trip pretty well planned and I'm getting the back of the troopie fitted out (for this trip and others - but this has given me a deadline). Yesterday demonstrated that I need to do a lot more work on photography before November. Stand by for idiot questions on the photography forum :lol:.

jjjnettie
07-06-2012, 04:50 PM
I love your photo!!
Wasn't it wonderful to have all those years of planning fall into place. :D

gary
07-06-2012, 05:09 PM
All the effort has paid off in the dividend of this fabulous image. Well done. :thumbsup:

bloodhound31
07-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Wow mate! That's awesome! I just love the note taking too.

Can you tell us a bit about your imaging train and workflow?

Baz.

asimov
07-06-2012, 08:23 PM
That's a fantastic shot Matt, congrats! Glad you had a good transit day:thumbsup:

Matt Wastell
07-06-2012, 08:36 PM
Thanks folks. Baz, the image came from

- Lunt60 Hydrogen Alpha Single Stacked scope
- DMK31 at prime focus
- I can not recall the exposure / gamma / gain settings (if you really want to know let me know as I will be playing again soon)
- I took about 1000 images and stacked the best 100 in Registax 5 - adjusted the wavelets a touch and saved (normally I would take 2000 images but did not want Venus to drift)
- I did colour in Paint Shop Pro - I rarely colour but I had time so just mucked around with the level (R G B) and came to something that was pleasing to me

I suspect the conditions were well suited to lower magnification.

I hope this helps and please yell out if I can add more info!

Paul Haese
08-06-2012, 12:08 AM
Well done Matt, Nice to see a very pleasing image from you. The written notes was a good idea. I should have thought about doing that too for the future.

Matt Wastell
08-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Thanks all - a day to remember for sure!

h0ughy
08-06-2012, 08:23 PM
love your work Matt - it was indeed a day to remember. i used the video recorder to log the time and date

StephenM
09-06-2012, 08:31 AM
A great image and write-up Matt! It sure was a day to remember.

Cheers,
Stephen

hotspur
09-06-2012, 09:31 AM
Well done Matt

I took photos of my son's cam corder screen,which was capturing the event and showing it on screen,along with time date etc,really an iconic event.

bloodhound31
11-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Thanks Matt. Wonderful stuff mate. As soon as I am able to purchase a solar scope, I'll be asking big questions, have no fear... ;)

Baz.

Matt Wastell
14-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Hi Baz
Ask away when ready - I may be able to help but there are so many here to help!
What scope are you looking at?

peter_4059
14-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Great image Matt. What gear were you using?

Matt Wastell
14-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Hi Peter - thanks!
I was using my Lunt Hydrogen Alpha 60 scope in single stack mode.
The camera was the Imaging Source DMK31 at prime focus.
Processed in Registax5 and coloured in PSP.