PDA

View Full Version here: : Transit projected onto my bedroom ceiling

pgc hunter
06-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Melbourne's cloud cleared for a little bit in the arvo allowing the last few minutes of the transit to be viewed.

So I grabbed my Stellarvue 60mm finder and projected the sun onto my bedroom ceiling and fired off a few shots. Not great quality, but there it is, wasn't expecting to see it with the bad forecast :)

Becstar
07-06-2012, 12:45 AM
Brilliant idea and really inventive. Great pics!

leon
07-06-2012, 06:49 AM
Not to shabby actually, nice effort, at least you have something for your efforts, well done.

Leon

Shark Bait
07-06-2012, 07:42 AM
:lol: I showed these shots to SWMBO and she thinks that you might just be a bigger geek than me.

It sounds like she might be over the transit. :screwy:

I like your take on imaging the transit. :thumbsup:

ZeroID
07-06-2012, 09:36 AM
Well I'll be :eyepop:..... and with luminous moon and stars ..
Sleeping in a big camera obscura, too cool.
You are hereby elevated to super geek status... :thumbsup:

Well done, very inventive. Must try that in our lounge for sunspots.

jjjnettie
07-06-2012, 02:42 PM
:lol: You Geek.

But i love it. Very imaginative.

goober
07-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Super cool, Sab. I was out there with my much neglected scope and a solar filter. Took some shots with a hand held iphone at the eyepiece that turned out okay (for me...).

DavidU
07-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Very kewl Sab ! , the moon came out well too LOL

silv
07-06-2012, 03:31 PM
LOL, David, was going to write st like that, myself.
Soo funny - the whole serious science excitement put on a children's room ceiling. :D Very unique!!! The only truly funny picture. LOL :D

Liz
07-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Wow, well done Sab, so much detail for a projection ... in the bedroom. You are seeing nearly as much as us with our scope :thumbsup:

spacezebra
07-06-2012, 08:18 PM
How cool is that Sab!!!!!!!!!

Brilliant capture.

Cheers Petra d.

pgc hunter
08-06-2012, 11:41 AM
hahaha yeah the image was actually surprising good considering I was using a finder scope at not more than perhaps 10x :D Although if I had more brain matter, it probably would've occured to me to use my 114mm newt which lives on a tripod rather than jury rig a platform for a finder out of assorted issues of S&T! Derp. I was just able to catch egress as the bloody batteries in the camera were dying (as they do during the one time something cool happens). One day, I hope to cover the entire room and everything in it with glow in the dark stars :lol:

What's amazing is that the day of the transit was the only one in the last week or so where the overcast actually broke up for a little while. Before or since, not one second of sunshine !

silv
08-06-2012, 12:07 PM
and you spent it indoors :rofl: