PDA

View Full Version here: : Need some info around Perth

traveller
05-06-2012, 08:55 AM
I am heading to Perth for a conference in late Sept and the family will join me afterwards for some holidaying around Perth, Margaret River and Freo. We have two young kids 6.5 and 3.5. Can anyone recommend some family friendly activities around the three areas I just mentioned?
We will have a hire car to drive around.
At this stage, we will be doing a couple of wineries in Margaret River but will need some advice for family friendly spots around Perth and Freo.
Thanks all in advane!
Bo :)

inline_online
05-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Hi Bo,

There are heaps of things to do in Perth but you should definitely take your kids to Heathcote Reserve. It is in a suburb called Applecross and it has the most incredible playground for kids. It is in the form of a massive pirate ship with heaps of different levels that the kids can access via ladders, stairs and ropes. There are lots of walkways, hidden passages, cubby holes etc to keep them entertained for a long time. BBQs are available and there is a cafe there too.

Kings Park has heaps of fantastic playgrounds also for kids. Stickybeaks would be my recommendation for your kids (3.5 and 6.5 yo).

You can hire family quad-cycles at the Point Fraser Reserve (about 1.5-2 km from CBD) and cruise around the river on the cycle paths. You can hire kayaks at the same location (2-seaters). These are good value.

I'm taking my boys to Margaret River in a few weeks time. We'll be doing archery, the maze and the cave tour while down there. The archery park also has mini-golf (ph 9755 4322). We have not been to the maze before but have heard great things about it. The caves are awesome. You'll have a great time there.
If you like a beer or two, I recommend Colonial Brewery, about 5-10 minutes out of Margaret River. It has a large playground for the children so they are entertained and you can stay longer ;).

There is lots more but that is a start for you.
Have fun in WA.

Cheers,
Dan

traveller
05-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Cheers Dan, much appreciated.
I particularly like the brewery idea (with the playground of course) :lol:.
I will also check out the museum too, as my older boy likes hands on experimental stuff.
I will also google some obervatories there too. Now the decision is to take the 60mm toy refractor or the 70mm binos and tripod. :shrug:
Bo

rmcconachy
05-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Rottnest Island (http://www.rottnestisland.com/) perhaps?

DaveR
05-06-2012, 10:05 PM
Bo, the zoo in south perth is really nice for youngsters of all ages, and my kids liked the aquarium & surrounds at Hillary's in the north of the city when they were young.
dave

midnight
05-06-2012, 10:22 PM
There's the Dolphin discovery centre about 10 minutes from us in Bunbury. If you're heading to Margaret River, you'll almost certainly be coming down through Bunbury. It's about a 5 minute detour off the main roundabout as you come into Bunbury from the north (Eelup).

Busselton is nice too and worth a stop off. In fact the whole SW is nice!

Cheers,
Darrin...

traveller
06-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Thanks Darrin and Dave, I got them on the to do list. Ricky, I am not sure if we can make it to Rottnest just yet, but will see.
Thanks again, Bo

Benno18
06-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Bunbury has a nice little bird park too. It's called the big swamp wildlife park

If you have a look at this website there are a few attractions. Highly recommend the caves down near Margaret river. I did them when I was around 10 and recently took my kids down there and they loved it :)
http://www.mybunbury.com

Just a word of warning about the wineries. When I was down there with kids there seemed to me to be a bit of a stigma hanging around, like no kids allowed. But we didn't care for it much. If they want to miss out on your business then so be it:)

traveller
06-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Thanks Ben, the cave sounds great. I am pretty sure my youngster will like it.
Cheers,
Bo