PDA

View Full Version here: : T-Rex with 12" Meade

casstony
03-06-2012, 10:41 AM
I thought some might be interested to know that the T-Rex comfortably carries a 12" Meade SCT when used with a CW shaft. I've used it on two nights so far and the mount behaves normally, though there's a bit of vibration coming from the tripod (soon the be replaced with a Losmandy HD). I don't know that there's a more portable mount for the carrying capacity; it's quick to set up and aligning the Sky Commander is just a matter of switching it on and pointing at two stars (no levelling, pointing north, entering time, etc is needed).

Tinderboxsky
03-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Tony,

Thanks for your report. I have been impressed by the specs for this mount and have it in mind as my next upgrade step. However, I have not seen one in action, so it was good to get your feedback.

Cheers

Steve

casstony
03-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Hi Steve, the only downside is that they cost an arm and a leg, although having partly disassembled this mount the internals are top quality.

From experience I can say that the CW is not needed with a 10" SCT but it definitely is needed with the 12". A C11 is right on the borderline. Most refractors wouldn't need a CW since their centre of gravity is closer to the mount.

brian nordstrom
03-06-2012, 05:05 PM
:thumbsup: Woaw! great bit of gear , here .
I have read the TRex mounts are good , but to carry a 12 inch like that is impressive :) .
Nice .
Brian.

casstony
04-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Thanks Brian - 'T-Rex' would be a nice addition to that signature of yours :)

The 12" Meade weighs in at about 38 lbs for the ota with dovetail, about 44 lbs kitted out for observing. The CW shaft is an aftermarket add on - I don't think KK are supplying one yet.

MortonH
04-06-2012, 12:02 PM
I'm sure a used one sold for around $1500 on this forum in the last year or two. At the time I wished I had the money to buy it. :(

casstony
04-06-2012, 12:55 PM
This is that mount Morton, although I already owned the Sky Commander. While it's easily portable it's not exactly grab and go, so I'm looking to add a SkyTee 2.
I'm getting a Losmandy HD tripod for the T-Rex, the T-Rex tripod will be adapted to my non-goto HEQ5 and the HEQ5 tripod will go to the Skytee.

MortonH
04-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Wow. All those mounts will look extremely impressive if set up beside each other!

UniPol
04-06-2012, 03:11 PM
I think I have the ideal combination on my T-Rex which is a C9.25" and Argo Navis, the latter plugs straight into the standard T-Rex encoders. If you want a strong quick and easy visual set up, this is the way to go.

casstony
04-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Photo Steve? :) That makes two T-Rex's in Australia.

I want to add a Skytee 2 for quick looks with small scopes, so the kids have something to use and I can risk leaving it on the verandah.

brian nordstrom
04-06-2012, 07:00 PM
:shrug: Please !!!! dont go planting a seed like that ....:rofl::help:.
GRRRR !!!! fighting it ...
Would be nice tho , anyone know if a Aussie dealer will pick these up ?
Brian.

casstony
04-06-2012, 07:52 PM
It's only fair after you showed how nice that IEQ45 is and how easy it is to set up :)
I don't know if there's an Aussie T-Rex dealer but you can order direct from Barry Gooley at Kokusai Kohki; he's very good for after sales service too.

MortonH
04-06-2012, 09:49 PM
There is an Aussie dealer:

http://www.astronomy-electronics-centre.com.au/