PDA

View Full Version here: : Solar eclipse viewing / accommodation site near Laura, Queensland.

okiscopey
02-06-2012, 11:33 PM
I've just been alerted by a FNQ friend that the 'Jowalbinna Rock Art Safari Camp' has camping and hut accommodation still available for mid-November.

Their website and contact details are here: http://www.jowalbinna.com.au/

It looks like the place is run by the family of Percy Trezise who discovered the Quinkan rock art in 1960.

Neither I nor my friend have any connection with Jowalbinna. I'm posting this only to help anyone who still hasn't finalised their trip.

Note: access to the Safari Camp is by 4WD only.

Out of curiosity, I plotted the position of the Camp against the eclipse track ... reasonably close to the centreline ... and I imagine there's better chance of clear skies away from the coast.

I won't be going to the eclipse myself, but I did see the 1976 one just outside Bombala, NSW. The experience of a lifetime!

A follow-up e-mail from my informant includes this amusing piece:

"Apparently there will be 30,000 hippies with long hair dancing in the nude at Maytown during the eclipse!!! Maytown is south of Jowal and the local council has invested considerable $$$ for these astrological tourists. So don't go there!!!"