PDA

View Full Version here: : Binoculars - largest size for handhelds - 11x70?

yagon
13-04-2006, 07:56 PM
Hello all,

I'm looking at getting a reasonably good set of binoculars for rich-field views and sweeping the milky way.

I've currently got a set of cheap 10x50 binos. It is mechanically very poor (it doesn't stay in focus) and I'd like more aperture (as much as possible) for greater brightness and detail.

I'll be using the binos handheld, not on a tripod. However, I'm interested to explore using a monopod.

Ideally, I'd like the maximum magnifcation possible for a handheld, but with at least 4* FOV. I'd also like it to be a nagler spacewalk type of eyepiece if possible (although I suspect that this is probably unrealistic at this price range). I'm prepared to spend $300 to $400, maybe more if there is a good enough reason.

Here are some options:

1. AOE 11x70 or similar
http://www.aoe.com.au/aoe70hp.html
AOE 11x70 seems like a great option. Many on this forum have recommended them. At $139 the price is right. Is the quality good? These are below my price range: is there a better quality option around the $300 to $400 range?

2. High quality 10x70 binos ($1500)
How much difference is there between the AOE and the following premium 10x70? Is it worth the additional cost?
http://www.astronomyonline.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=52&ProductID=863&cid=263

3. AOE larger aperture binos or similar
Then there are some larger size binos:
http://www.aoe.com.au/aoe80.html
http://www.aoe.com.au/aoe90.html
http://www.aoe.com.au/25x100.html
Could these be used handheld? What about with a monopod? I like the idea of a big aperture. Is it possible to get a 10x100 set of binoculars (low mag but large aperture)? Is 70mm the limit for 10x mag due to exit pupil size?

yagon
13-04-2006, 07:59 PM
PS. How much more can I expect to see with 70mm aperture over my current binos with 50mm?

janoskiss
13-04-2006, 08:20 PM
70mm binos are big and heavy. I would not get one for hand held use. The 10x and 11x70s have a fairly narrow apparent field, significantly narrower than a 15x70 or 10x50 will have. In fact I think the 11x70 and 15x70 have the same true field.

If you are finding that you can hold your 10x50s steady enough, I'd recommend to get a better one for hand held use. The AOE HG models are amazingly good if you don't want to spend hundreds. As good as brand name binos costing over twice as much.

johnno
14-04-2006, 02:49 AM
I Have the 11x56 from AOE,
I find they are just on the edge of handholdable,and around 6 deg fov,they are my Favourites,for a quick look.

70MM Binoculars are waaay too heavy for handheld use,INMHO

I know it sounds silly,but to me 11x56s BLOW AWAY any of the 10x50s I own,
Possibly a combination,of the extra 6mm aperture,AND the extra 1x Mag.

Out of the 20+ pair of Binoculars I own,the 11x56s get the most use.

Regards.
John

yagon
14-04-2006, 09:51 AM
thanks for hte feedback. I realise I've got quite a bit of research to do in this area before I buy.

One of the issues I'd like to understand about binos is how to calculate the Apparent Field of View. Is there a way to easily do this?

janoskiss
14-04-2006, 11:27 AM
Maybe not just aperture and mag. The coatings on the AOE binos are very good. They used to have a whole page on their website going on and on about how good the coatings on their binos are, and to be honest I used to think it was mostly advertising drivel. But I bought their 7x50HG and it was all true. The coatings are very good indeed and give great contrast and transmission.

BTW, if you have not tried an ultra-light pair of quality binos, they are worth a look too: 8x42 Fujinon BFL. Comfort goes a long way.

Starkler
14-04-2006, 12:38 PM
Indeed Steve.
The coating and reflection control on the 15x70 binos I got from AOE is outstanding and I dare say unmatched by anything within twice their price or even more.

dugnsuz
14-04-2006, 12:56 PM
I have a pair of AOE 15x70 binos. I've used them hand-held with limited success. If you can support them by resting your arms on the arms of a reclining chair for example then binos of this size can be more user friendly than those attached to a tripod. I've always found craning my neck at the zenith using a tripod to be a painful = unenjoyable experience.
Sweeping the milky way with the 15x70's is amazing compared to my 10x50's. Star clusters and DSO's on nights of good seeing have a pronounced 3-D effect which I enjoy so much. I love the "grab and go" freedom of binocular observing.
Good luck - I can recommend the AOE 15x70's.
They are excellent for the price.
Also, 11x70's are getting a bit close to the magic 7mm exit pupil limit.
With the 15x70's all the light falls into the 4.67mm exit pupil which my 41 year old pupils can easily accomodate.
Cheers
Doug Robertson:thumbsup:

johnno
15-04-2006, 12:17 AM
Hi All,

Yagon,
The afov,is simply the tfov X Magnification,

So if your Binoculars are marked 7 Deg fov,and the magnification is 7X,
then the AFOV is 7X7 = 49 deg afov,

if they are 7 Deg Fov,and the Mag is 10x then the AFOV is 70 deg,

So a pair of 15x70s usually about 4.5 deg FOV,

would be 4.5 X 15 = 67.5 AFOV.

Hope this helps,(Hope I got it right too)

Regards.
John

Hammerman
15-04-2006, 03:05 PM
Just want to add a comment about using 11x70's hand held.

My Oberwerk 11x70's I use hand held often at night with good results..... just as good as with my 7x35's. Part of the secret is to lean against something solid to keep your body movement down to a minimum. The other most important factor is to hold the binoculars way at the end of the objective end, not the eyepiece end. When you hold the heaviest end (away from the eyepiece), you can hold them solid. When you hold the light end (near the eyepiece), the unsuported heavy end tends to move around easily, ruining your observing.

johnno
16-04-2006, 03:02 AM
Yagon,

Some pretty good advice from GARY,
Certainly, hold the Binoculars closer to the end of the Barrels

I will still stand by the accepted view,IE ANY Binocular is best Mounted,
the higher Magnification,the more,necessary,a stable mount for Viewing Becomes.

To Put this another way,would you hand hold a 15,or 20x Mag Telescope?
I dont think so.

Regards.
John

g__day
21-04-2006, 10:19 PM
I have pair of Andrews 15 * 70 and 20 * 80. I love the 20 * 80s - the light gathering and optics are superb. You do need something to brace these fellas on (unless you rock climb, shear for a living or do karate), they are for mortal wrists.

Still with minimal preparation (a hung rope or four by two) its easy to support these binos and outstanding when you do.