PDA

View Full Version here: : Where is NGCLes?

mental4astro
25-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Hi folks,

I've noticed "the Observologist" NGCLes has been absent for some time. His last post was back in Janurary.

I've PM'ed him but have got no reply, which is very unusual.

Anyone know if he is OK?

Alex.

iceman
25-05-2012, 08:53 AM
I had a chat with him on Facebook the other night.

He's been going through some personal issues so hasn't been on forums or Facebook for many months.

However he said he's improving and should be back around again in the near future.

mental4astro
25-05-2012, 08:55 AM
Thank you Mike.

Please pass on my most sincere regards to him next time you get to chat to Les.

jjjnettie
25-05-2012, 08:58 AM
We had a chat the night before last. :)
We've all missed his input on FB too.
Glad to see you getting back into circulation Les. xox

pgc hunter
25-05-2012, 10:41 AM
I've missed his interesting and insightful comments in the Obs forum. Hopefully all is well and we'll see him back here again soon.

give him my regards

PeterM
25-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Please pass on my regards to Les as well.
Peter

mozzie
25-05-2012, 11:03 AM
hope all is well les,i do enjoy your ob's and feed back here on iis...:thumbsup::thumbsup:

erick
25-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Yep, look forward to seeing you back here Les, when you can :)

AstralTraveller
25-05-2012, 06:05 PM
See you at Bargo Les, assuming it is ever clear on a new moon Saturday night. :)

ngcles
25-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Hi Alex, Mike & All,

Just happened to pass by and saw this and thought I owe you all a sensible reply. Here is a reply anyway, I guess it's up to you as to whether it is sensible.

Yes I have been away for a while. No, it isn't your fault or the fault of the forum here in any way -- or any individual.

I haven't been well -- nothing super-serious or life-threatening. I've had pretty severe depression now for the last several months. This is the way it most obviously affects me (to the appearance of the outside world) -- for everyone's depression is different.

For me it's like trying to swim through treacle. Finding the motivation to do most things has been somewhere between difficult and extremely difficult. The most difficult thing for me to do in this state is interact with other people. Another thing is sleeping. It's not that I don't like you or feel nervous about speaking/writing/being around others etc -- I don't. I'm generally not a nervous type. It's that I just don't care. I just can't find the effort of will to be with other people -- even on-line. I have answered very little email for several months unless it is pressing. I even switched my mobile off for almost 3 months because I couldn't be bothered with it. Depression for me is debilitating, but I am no longer afraid of it. I don't enjoy it by any stretch of imagination, but it no longer of itself scares me.

As Alex will probably confirm, he an I have been sharing a class for the last few months at Swinburne Uni. As I was doing that course, I had to give it almost every resource I had at my (limited) disposal (and appear light and happy into the bargain) which left little or no emotional resources or "get-go" for anything else. Luckily we're almost through this unit, though the test we did the weekend before last was a doosy (as I'm sure Alex will attest) -- well at least 4-5 of the questions were doosies.

This isn't the first time for me, it is the third in the last twelve years. With this episode that started back in about December and became quite deep by February-March, I have been attempting a recovery without an anti-depressant. There are good reasons why I tried to do it that way, but I won't go into them here and now -- you'll just have to take it on trust. However, now six months down the track, I have decided it is taking too long so I am going to try a new (well for me) one and see how it goes. SSRI's and SNRI's usually work with me after about 6-8 weeks so I hope to feel a bit better then. I am feeling a bit better than a couple of weeks ago right now -- that's why I can write this. Four weeks ago, I couldn't be bothered so that's an improvement.

The funny thing for me I've noticed this time 'round is that it appears to have affected the left side of my brain more than the right -- well that's the way it feels for me anyway. I sometimes find it horrendously difficult to accomplish simple mechanical tasks, or solving a problem with logic or analysis. Normally it would take me about a minute to collimate my newtonian provided it wasn't too far out. The last time I observed, I blundered around for about 7-8 minutes before, in the end, I had to ask someone for help because I couldn't make sense of which knob had to be turned in what direction to collimate. It sounds wierd I know, but this is what it does to me. On the other hand, those things that require a degree of creativity or "flair", like for example coming up with a plan on how to introduce a topic for an article and then stitch it together in a way that I think might be entertaining for the reader seems much less hard than the mechanics of typing coherent sentences without editing it ten times before I'm nearly (but never completely) content. The hardest thing of all is getting yourself to the point of actually starting a task -- any task. Procrastination has become a high-art form.

For those that posted, thanks for taking the time to be concerned. I really appreciate it -- but I find it difficult most of the time to find the motivation to express it. No need to worry overly about me. I hate this thing, but it no longer scares me of itself and I think that is half the battle. Thanks all for your best wishes. It's good to know I was missed.

Best,

Les D

Octane
25-05-2012, 11:23 PM
I was just wondering the other day where you'd got to, Les. Hadn't seen your name in any threads for a while.

I'm sorry to hear of your suffering, but, it sounds like you know the best path to deal with the demon.

All the very best to you. See you back here soon. :)

H

koputai
25-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Wow, pretty heavy stuff Les, you have my best wishes, and all others I expect.

We all go through life thinking we have it tough sometimes, but hats off to you and others in a similar position, you are the people with real strength.

Regards,
Jason.

jjjnettie
25-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Huge hugs Les. xox

Screwdriverone
25-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Hey Les,

All the best mate....when you feel up to it, ping me a PM and we will catch up for a beer. Seems we both are due one or two.

Cheers

Chris

mozzie
26-05-2012, 06:37 AM
wow !!!!!!! all the best les....hopefully your well and truly on the mend....
still love your articles in sky & telescope,fantastic read and object search:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Paddy
26-05-2012, 03:38 PM
All the best Les. Depression is such a dreadful thing to have to get through. Look forward to your return here when you're well.