PDA

View Full Version here: : Eq6 stellarium and phd guiding.

saysme
25-05-2012, 08:25 AM
I would like to confirm my intended guiding arrangement and goto for my eq6 synscan. I have successfully managed to capture streaming to phd guider and capture avi's using generic software for aGent v5 webcam. So far I'm happy with this setup. I understand that using the ASCOM drivers I can guide with phd through my handset connected to my laptop via the handset to serial port cable supplied with my eq6. I understand that i can also use stelarium goto the same way. To do both do I need to
1. Use a gpusb connection from shoestring, usb2.0 direct to the guide port
2. Simply apply a splitter from shoestring and run both through the hand set as there is no requirement to do both at the same time ( slewing and guiding). In this case which cable do I need ?
3. Just plug and play and both programs will operate through the same connection, again as I won't be doing both at the same time.

Hope this is explained well enough. Steve

billdan
25-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Hi Steve,

I'm at the same stage as you, so I can't give you an answer based on experience.
But from reading the forums, I believe all the programs go through the ASCOM driver. So item 3 on your list should be the correct one.

Hope this helps

Bill

Visionoz
25-05-2012, 12:32 PM
In general - the connection from laptop/PC to the EQ6 mount is thru a USB/Serial TTL adaptor as these days most laptops/PCs have only USB ports

When I use my EQ6 Pro mount portable that's what I wire up - use StellariumScope in conjunction with Stellarium and indeed it works with ASCOM happily - now with the guider, because I use StarShoot Autoguider I can omit the cable that goes from the back of the guider to the mount since I can now use "pulse-guiding" which is via EQMod, also an ASCOM driven software - they all work happily together

In the past I did use the handset in lieu of the USB/Serial TTL adaptor to drive the mount and therefore had to set the handpiece into the "PC-Direct" mode under Utilities (button 3) using the supplied EQ6 cable that is used to update your handpiece

Since you're using a type of webcam I believe the GPUSB is required and in PHD you select the correct connection type as you've already discovered works

Others more knowledgeable will I'm sure chime in

YMMV
HTH
Cheers
Bill

bojan
25-05-2012, 01:59 PM
When talking about Stellarium... I have a problem with telescope control.
It connects to the scope (SoundStepper.. via virtual port) but that's about it.. I can't slew, I cant sync..
On the other hand, CdC works without any problems (both via virtual port or real RS232).
I am wandering if others have similar experience and if there is a solution to this?

technofetishism
25-05-2012, 03:46 PM
i think you need to use the program stellarium scope as well.

g__day
25-05-2012, 05:10 PM
I have used Stellarium with the required ASCOM add ons to drive a Vixen Atlux a few times in the past. Stellarium can do this - but CDC or the Sky does it better.

saysme
25-05-2012, 10:18 PM
I might have to try another program from stellarium, when I downloaded and opened the latest version it looked like it opened in 'safe mode'.Could be a memory issue but with no other programs open so I doubt it. Small hurdle really as there are other options out there. Also need .net windows upgrades for the latest ASCOM platform.

whzzz28
26-05-2012, 09:17 PM
My recommendation is option 1, aka
http://www.bintel.com.au/Mounts---Tripods/Mount-Accessories/Shoestring-USB2-br--EQ6-Interface/775/productview.aspx

You may not want to now, but in the future you may want to run ASCOM to control your mount.
I started off by using the included cable and going via handset first. I also used my guide camera built in guide port to connect directly to the mount and just used Stellarium to issue slew commands. It works, but the lack of mount control was a big bummer.
Ended up getting the shoestring cable and happy i did.

@bojan:
Are you running with the hand controller in the middle or direct shoestring from laptop to mount?
If going direct, you need an additional program: Stellarium Scope
http://www.welshdragoncomputing.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=31&Itemid=39

If going via the hand controller, make sure you have setup the telescope and started it via the stellarium scope settings page. If you plugged the device into a different port its COM port may have changed so make sure all the settings are correct in that page and that it says "Connected" next to the scope.

Nico13
26-05-2012, 10:05 PM
I had ran mine via the handset without using stellarium scope as the Stellarium program has mount drivers installed so all I did was to start the mount from the handset and do a three star align.
Connect to the scope in the tools plugins telescope control window (can't remember the settings sorry as the current version keeps crashing on me in Win 7 64 bit) but it would then have full control of the mount, just point and shoot slewing it was great until the crashing started.
A GPUSB was used with a phillips toucam for guiding and it all worked well for a while.
I now use "The Sky" software due to Stellarium crashing but was very happy with it while it worked.

saysme
26-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Thanks, the plan was to run via the handset, do my allignment, so i can just start stellarium, I found a useful post earlier with a step by step. If that fails I'll try stellarium scope already installed and go direct to the ?guideport (st4). I was trying to run stellarium scope through the handset today- probably why it failed. I have also upgraded from my old (9yrs) xp to my wife's windows 7 netbook with much improved speed and graphics.

saysme
27-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Up and running straight through stellarium, thanks everyone.

Nico13
27-05-2012, 10:02 PM
Way to go :thumbsup: glad its all come together for you.

bazaud
17-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Great thread guys, Thanks.

ZeroID
18-06-2012, 07:40 AM
Steve, which setup did you settle on finally ? I'm about to try and get mine working. Did you go through the handset or the ST4 port via GPUSB shoestring ?