PDA

View Full Version here: : TELRAD - highly recommended

EzyStyles
11-04-2006, 03:02 PM
Grab myself a Telrad yesterday at Bintel. What a useful device it is! Save many frustration attempts finding objects in the sky and my sore back from looking into the viewfinder all the time. If you have a goto mount, this helps finding alignment stars with ease. Also, much easier to predict when the clouds are coming in on the object you are looking at.

There are 3 red circular HUD with adjustable brightness so you can blend the HUD to the foreground stars. 3 adjustable collimating screw for pinpoint accuracy.

If you haven't got one yet, I highly recommend this magic device.

[/URL]
http://telrad.telescopes.com/images/37744alt.jpghttp://telrad.telescopes.com/images/telradrings.jpg
http://telrad.telescopes.com/images/telradsigh_2.jpg
[URL="http://javascript<b></b>:imagePopup('/popups/alt_img_main.php?ImageName=telradsi gh_2.jpg&PID=37744')"] (http://javascript<b></b>:imagePopup('/popups/alt_img_main.php?ImageName=telradri ngs.jpg&PID=37744'))

rmcpb
11-04-2006, 03:34 PM
The Telrad is surely one of the best options you can put on your scope. I don't use a finder scope but rather, a combination of Telrad and low power eyepiece.

ving
11-04-2006, 03:53 PM
each to thier own... i prefer a right angle finder as i dont have to bend my neck at all :) but thats me.
with so many ppl with telrads (or other zero mag finders) they must be good for the majority of ppl :)

Starkler
11-04-2006, 06:47 PM
I like the Rigel quickfinder for the reasons thats its smaller and lighter, and comes with a spare base to attach to your second scope :)

Has anyone ever seen a telrad on an 80mm refractor? :D

janoskiss
11-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Vingo, only someone who does not own a Telrad could talk like that. :P :lol: The combination of right-angle finder + 1x finder like the Telrad is ideal. They are complimentary tools.

The Rigel quickfinder is a good alternative to the Telrad for smaller scopes (8" or less), as it is much smaller and easier to mount next to your 50mm finder and at a comfortable distance from the focuser.

AstroJunk
11-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Telrad even sell a dew shield with a right angle mirror built in so that'll save your neck too. How easy is that.:D

I own two telrads, and no finders anymore.

One other thing - they work just as well when aimed from a distance, so us big dob users can point from the ground rather from up a ladder!

allan gould
11-04-2006, 08:56 PM
I used a telrad for a long time but then put on a green laser pointer. I'll never go back

toc
11-04-2006, 10:37 PM
Yes they are great. :thumbsup:

One issue I did have with mine though - The plastic target that the light shines though actually fell off mine the other day. It was a simple job to glue it back on, but I would have hated for that to happen outside. :scared:

RAJAH235
12-04-2006, 12:42 AM
Great choice, Eric.
Now all it needs are my mods...:P :poke: :D L.

wavelandscott
12-04-2006, 08:46 AM
While I am well and truly a Telrad fan (I've got two...) they can and do get quite "dewy" if you do not take appropriate precautions...dew shield, dew heater etc. any and all solutions can be bought or made DIY style...

Cheers!

toc
12-04-2006, 09:56 AM
I agree that Dew can be a problem. I would like to hear more about those solutions though. How does the shield fit exactly?

slice of heaven
12-04-2006, 10:06 AM
Yep, 2 Telrads here :thumbsup: ! modded by Laurie :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ;)
No other finders, as Rob stated a low power ep refines the search nicely.

They certainly do, my lad aligns from the bottom of the 12" that way.

A nice tool for those with dark enough skies.

slice of heaven
12-04-2006, 10:16 AM
The shields are 'OK' for mild dew, but they can't compete with a dew heater.
Lauries mods (Dew heater and variable pulse for the targetting rings) make using the Telrad a dream.

rmcpb
12-04-2006, 11:29 AM
OK, I'll bite. What are the mods and how are they done?

Cheers

wavelandscott
12-04-2006, 01:24 PM
Let me first disqualify myself...I am by no means an expert but here are some of the "solutions" that I ahve seen or tried...

Dew Shields...work reasonably well in light to moderate dew...

Possible solutions...dew shields
Homemade...I've seen something as simple as a towel used, a foam or cardboard folded (u-shaped) folded over like a small roof, and my personal favorite an old foam stubby holder (where I started and worked well).
Store bought...Telrad dewshield and dewshield plus...work pretty well and "fit" right on the Telrad...the dewshiled plus has a mirror to turn it into a right angle finder too...I've not had a lot of success and enjoyment from the dewshield plus. I've got a dewshield and a dewshield plus...I'd skip the plus...both work for dew (light to moderate)...I have not seen a big difference in performance between the storebought and the home made...

Possible solutions...dew heaters
Homemade...see Raj...for this and other mods...I hear it works real well...
Store bought...Kendricks has a commercial one available...it is a tiny "electric pad: that is held by a rubber band to the side of your Telrad...it works but is inelegant. Telescope Solutions has a neater looking rig (Moonlight used to make/sell them) that looks like a "U shaped" heater element...never used one. I am sure that other companies have them as well...the plug into a "controller unit" to power them...

I've got a Kendrick...again, it is functional but not pretty...

janoskiss
12-04-2006, 01:36 PM
When a simple foam hood is not enough, just wipe the dew off the glass with an absorbent cloth.

ving
12-04-2006, 02:03 PM
the one or two times i have used on of these i found i still had to crane my neck around to see thru it... maybe some sort of mirror right angle system..... ;)

EzyStyles
12-04-2006, 04:32 PM
nice telrad you have there! I can see some sort of switches, red light and a huge chipboard inside? what mods are they :P

RAJAH235
12-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Hi Eric. It runs off 12 volts which plugs into the socket, (with small red LED), at the right. The switches control the heater & whether in constant or flash mode. The pot on the other side controls the flash rate, which is variable from ~1 sec on/1 sec off, to 1 sec on/4 sec off. I do not touch the original on/off dimmer switch.
HTH. :D L.

janoskiss
12-04-2006, 08:37 PM
It's spelt "weather", but never mind, your invention will make you a billionaire! My prayers answered! When do you start taking orders? :prey2:
:D

Menno
12-04-2006, 09:24 PM
Ah, the whether/weather dispute.... I wonder weather you get it right despite the whether being beautiful today.
Rajah??? I am with u (ie you) 'coz me thinks u meen "if".....
I hope I'm not mean.
correct?
M

RAJAH235
12-04-2006, 09:54 PM
M, you are correct. But my use of 'whether' is also correct. It denotes alternatives........:D L.
ps. Steve, you want 1 done? :poke:

janoskiss
13-04-2006, 05:35 PM
Sorry for the misunderstanding guys. it was just a bad joke from me... you know, like every astronomer's dream: controlling the weather with the flick of a switch. Ah forgedit. :P

RAJAH235
13-04-2006, 06:49 PM
:P np, Steve..... just wish I could do it. Now that would make my fortune, eh!... :poke:..:D L.

Hammerman
15-04-2006, 03:14 PM
OK.... why do you want it to flash? Seems to me like it would be annoying when you used it.

In reply to the original post.... My Telrad is probably the best scope accessory that I have ever bought. Well..... now that I have a pair of binoviewers, I'll have to say it was the second best accessory.

RAJAH235
15-04-2006, 09:09 PM
Gary, when trying to find those elusive n very dim objects, there is nothing more frustrating than having to find & adjust the dimmer control up n down. The 'flasher' can be set to very slow rate & in conjunction with your original dimmer, (set very low), work together in assisting in finding them. It can be adj to flash at a fairly long off time, eg; ~4 secs off/1 sec on & 1 sec off/1 sec on...
HTH.. :D L.

rickericn
15-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Best thingie I ever bought (for only $39 US)! What a time saver. I had tried red-dots before and didn't like the results - but the Telrad works great on the XT12. I use it in combination with a 9X50 right angle finder... simple.

-Rick