PDA

View Full Version here: : Casey Stoner : retires

omegacrux
20-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Casey Stoner is pulling up stumps at the end of this season ,
which is a shame he has been great to watch his ability to ride , even with the Ducati and win and yet VR struggles with it
Just shows his talent
Looks like he will be moving to tin tops
I suppose its best to leave on when your on the top !

David :sadeyes:

Ric
20-05-2012, 10:24 AM
It will be sad to see him retire at the end of the season.

He is one of the greats of Australian motorcycle racing.

Now he has the pressure off, it would not surprise me to see him take the world championship again this year.

blink138
20-05-2012, 11:58 AM
i found him to be a bit of a whinger unfortunately!
i have been following and watching the premier class of motorcycling since the days of freddy spencer and the late barry sheen and it is THE only motorsport for me
he shouldnt really be mentioned in the same breath as valentino!
for his true fans........ well i think they have been robbed, and it is a bit of a cop out, but i feel he is afraid of failure.
this is only my opinion of course!
pat

leon
20-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Lets hope all stays well on the track for him, and he gets to spend that time with his family, which is top priority to a bike race.

Leon

marki
20-05-2012, 08:19 PM
For those watching last years race at Sepang Malaysia this should not come as any shock, certainly not for me in any case. I was transfixed by the footage which showed the awful accident in which Marco Simoncelli lost his life and I remember the camera showing a shot of Casey and his then heavily pregnant young wife in the pit lane. The look on their faces made me think Casey won't be racing GP for much longer and I fully expected him to retire last year. He has a young wife and baby, too much to give up for the sake of participating in such a dangerous sport and I salute his decision and maturity. Casey has nothing to prove, he has won many races on two different manufacturers bikes, been world champion twice whilst showing tremendous courage and skill. Put yourself in his position....what would you do?

Mark

blink138
20-05-2012, 09:24 PM
mark i would carry on the same as every other true champion has done
valentino has accidenally killed his best mate....... of course these things affect people differently
i wouldnt say motorcycling is the safest of sports, but all things considered there have not been a lot of deaths associated with the sport in all the years i have been watching
it is a mammoth effort to get to the top.... and most dont give it up too easily when they are there and he is not the first to have a baby while doing it
pat

Hans Tucker
20-05-2012, 10:03 PM
They just played the interview with Casey before tonights race...he ain't a happy camper. The death of Marco Simoncelli or his family doesn't seem to be the reason for his retirement. What ever he decides to do he is a proven champion worthy to be remember as just that despite the arm chair experts that see fit to cut him down..good luck to him.

omegacrux
20-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Looking at the race now
The idea of riding a 240+ hp on a wet track at nearly 300kmh
I think I'd want to retire !
You must admit that the skills that all these riders have is exceptional
even the backmarkers !

David

scagman
21-05-2012, 12:17 AM
I would have to agree with you Pat, I got that impression after seeing an interview with him when he finished his 125 days and didn't improve with age.

That was a great battle for 2nd tongiht. glad it did'nt end in tears for either.

And then go faster on the next lap:eyepop:

mat,v
23-05-2012, 07:19 PM
I think the very unfortunate death of Marco:sadeyes: has had a tremendous affect on all the riders and surely this has played some part in his decision. He has certainly proved himself over the last few years, but recent interviews have shown he hasn't got the passion for it that he used to. I understand that. It would be great to see him take up V8 supercars in the future and if he does it with Holden:thumbsup:, Then all the better. I'm pretty sure the speed factor won't put him off and his family would feel better for it. Good on ya Casey, You're a champ:thumbsup:

Davi5678
23-05-2012, 08:31 PM
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/race/motogp/strange-days-in-motogp/

Deeno
24-05-2012, 08:16 AM
I think Casey has matured as rider. He doesn't seem hellbent on breaking records as some others. (Eighth most winning rider at only 26 years of age). Sure...in his younger years he has had the odd whinge about this rider and that but, these days he seems more relaxed and matter of fact during interviews.

I think he realises how lucky he has been, he's had some pretty spectacular crashes over the years and lets face it. Motorcycle racers dont break bones......they shatter them. There are plenty of racers wondering around the paddock with permanent limps and missing digits.
Good luck to him, he still young enough to have a life with his young family and turn his hand to whatever takes his fancy........