PDA

View Full Version here: : Our Galaxy - some recent resources

madbadgalaxyman
19-05-2012, 10:22 PM
In case you haven't noticed, books on the broad overall topic of our own galaxy, the Milky Way, have been thin on the ground for a long time, and they continue to be rarely published. I am not even aware of any textbook (between “intermediate amateur” and “beginning professional” level) specifically devoted to the Milky Way that has been written in the last ten years.
[[ William H Waller had a very detailed introductory book in progress, that was supposed to be the successor to the classic & still very useful “The Milky Way”(5th Edition) by Bok & Bok, but Waller's book never appeared; and it was supposed to be published a couple of years ago.

The recent well-illustrated & well written semi-popular level (enthusiast-level) textbook “Shrouds of the Night : Masks of The Milky Way (…..)” by Block and Freeman, published 2008, (ISBN: 9780387789743) …....is at least an up-to-date source of information on galaxies for the scientifically oriented layperson, and it does contain substantial material about the Milky Way.

Also, “Galaxies and The Cosmic Frontier”, by Waller and Hodge, published 2003, (ISBN: 0674 010795 )
was a hurried attempt at a textbook on galaxies at the “amateur astronomer” readership level, and it contained a chapter on the Milky Way.

A fairly recent university textbook about galaxies which contains three chapters of accurate and detailed explanations about the Milky Way, is “Galaxies in The Universe : An Introduction” by Linda S. Sparke and John S. Gallagher. This book is now into its second edition, and it is a model of clear writing and logical structure. Please note that this book is at the undergraduate to graduate level - so it is probably too hard for all but the very advanced amateur with a strong physical orientation.

The great scarcity of published overviews about our Galaxy surely reflects the over-specialization within astronomy, with many separate books or symposia being published on topics such as star-formation, galaxy bulges, galaxy disks, the Magellanic Clouds, galactic dynamics, the interstellar medium, stellar evolution, etc., all of which are important pieces of the giant puzzle that is our own Galaxy. It also reflects the fact that it is nearly impossible for today's professional astronomers to find “writing time” away from their narrowly-focused & highly competitive research activities.

External galaxies have been my primary study for a long time, but lately I have started to revert back to my old guise of being a night watchman of the Milky Way Galaxy, so here is a list of (rather high level) resources regarding our own Galaxy:

Individual chapters about the Milky Way that are found within textbooks about Galaxies;
I won't review these here, but I note that I have reviewed many of the textbooks about galaxies at the amazon.com website (NOT amazon in the U.K.). Just google-search on the search terms “madbioman”(which is my amazon username) and “profile”, in order to find all of my book reviews under the name “R.A.Lang”. As a general rule, a chapter about the Milky Way in a general astronomy textbook will tend to be somewhat inaccurate, definitely oversimplified, and very often out-of-date. Much better are the chapters about the Milky Way Galaxy written in textbooks specifically about galaxies.

"The Galaxy Disk in Cosmological Context" , IAU Symposium No. 254 (year 2008)
You can buy this in a paper volume (for a King's Ransom....), or you can get many of the write-ups of the presentations on the internet – for free!!. There are perhaps a dozen review papers here that are relevant to our own Galaxy, presenting modern treatments of: stellar populations in our Galaxy, chemical evolution and abundance gradients, new evidence for substantial ongoing accretion of gas by our Galaxy, star-formation triggering in spiral arms, molecular and atomic hydrogen in galaxies, mass & luminosity functions of open clusters, the nature and formation of our Galaxy's bulge, the disk of our Galaxy, etc.
You may be able to use google to find this reference by searching for “IAU Symposia”, or alternatively;
go to http://journals.cambridge.org (http://journals.cambridge.org/) , then browse the journal titles to find “Proceedings of the International Astronomical Union”, then click on “Back Issues”, then find the back issues for the year 2008, and then find “Symposium S254”.

“ The Evolving ISM in the Milky Way and Nearby Galaxies ”(2007 conference)
This is a collection of short reviews about various topics relating to the Interstellar Medium. You can download these papers, free of charge. A quick way to find these write-ups of the conference presentations is just to do a google search on the title of this conference. This is probably not the most useful conference proceedings about the ISM, but it is quite recent, and it is the only one I can think of at present!

“ KITP Conference : Back to the Galaxy II ” (conference held in 2008)
This conference had a large number of Very Good presentations on a wide variety of topics relating to our own Galaxy. There is lots of free information available at the conference website:
http://online.kitp.ucsb.edu/online/milkyway_c08

“ The Galactic Plane Reloaded ” (EWASS 2012 – Symposium 4)(year 2012)
This conference, which will be held in July this year, will be on the subject of all of the new multi-wavelength surveys of the Milky Way. The conference presentations and their writeups should be essential reading for those interested in the broad-scale structure and properties of our own Galaxy. There have been few overviews published about the structure of our own galaxy, outside of individual scientific papers, for many years. So for those of us who are unfamiliar with the extensive and widely-scattered information sources about our Galaxy, this symposium could serve as a useful catchup and summary about what is known about the Milky Way.

Handbook of Star Forming Regions : Volume 1, The Northern Sky (Astronomical Society of The Pacific; Monograph), Ed. Bo Reipurth. (ISBN: 1583816704)
and:
Handbook of Star Forming Regions : Volume 2, The Southern Sky (Astronomical Society of The Pacific; Monograph), Ed. Bo Reipurth (ISBN: 1583816712)
These two unique and massive volumes, averaging about 1000 pages each, are graduate-level monographs that cover, in detail, most of the prominent star-forming regions in the Milky Way (well, at least those regions that are seen prominently from our position in the Milky Way!).
There are individual chapters devoted to each of the star-forming complexes, e.g. Eta Carinae, the Pipe Nebula, the Chameleon dark cloud, RCW108(=NGC 6188)(=Ara OB1), NGC 6334, NGC 6231 & Sco OB1, the Scorpius-Centaurus Complex of Bright Stars, the Lagoon Nebula, M16, Rho Ophiuchi, The Rosette, The Orion Nebula, NGC 2264, etc., etc., etc., etc.
The idea of these two books is to summarize, in detail, what today's professional astronomers know about each of these star-forming regions; the molecular gas & dark clouds from which new stars are forming, the onset of Star Formation due to gas compression and shock waves, the current formation of stars within the gas cloud, the stars which have already formed from the gas, and the emission nebulae which are energized by the hot young stars that have just formed.
These volumes really are a unique and massive and extremely useful compilation of data that would otherwise have to be acquired piecemeal by reading many thousands of scientific papers!!
This wonderful book brings together, into two volumes, just about everything that is known about the many nebular complexes in our Galaxy. The reader acquires an “insiders” view of these star-forming regions and of the interstellar medium, without having to track down and absorb vast quantities of widely-scattered data.
Question: Are these books for you?
Answer: If you can understand some of the simpler papers in the professional journals like the Astronomical Journal and the Astrophysical journal, then you can start to benefit from "Handbook of Star Forming Regions. You might manage to derive useful information from these volumes without having a very very strong astronomical background and/or a physics orientation, but then again you might not. There is quite a lot of descriptive and non-algebraic material in these volumes, but it is interspersed with many passages that are very dense with specialized jargon.....in particular, some of the recent infrared and submillimeter observations are in wavelength regimes that are so new that specialized scientific vocabularies have developed within the last few years!
Anyone aspiring to understand star formation needs to know about the infrared to mm-wave regime.....as these photons can pass through the dense and dusty star-forming clouds!

madbadgalaxyman
21-05-2012, 05:20 PM
I have added a clarification at the end of my post, about "Handbook of Star Forming Regions";
as to what readership-level these two volumes are appropriate for.

cheers, bad galaxy man

Dave2042
22-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Fascinating. I wish I had more time to study this kind of thing.

You mention the 'thinness on the ground' of material on our own galaxy. I have always found it an amusing paradox that, in a sense, our galaxy (as opposed to the individual stars in it) is the hardest to observe, simply because we are in the middle of it. I remember from undergraduate days in astrophysics that there was a lot of time and effort being expended trying to observe the large sections of the Milky Way generally obscured by the galactic centre.

It's my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong, O knowledgeable ones) that much work is still underway trying to confirm even fairly high-level structure of the Milky Way, such as the shapes of the arms.

madbadgalaxyman
22-05-2012, 06:56 PM
G'day Dave,
If you need more time, perhaps do what I did, which is to be semi-retired, relatively early in life, so as to be able to spend at least 4 hours (optimistically, 6 hours) per day thinking about galaxies.

Yeah, a lot of people in the professional astronomical community have gone off chasing distant galaxies (especially primeval ones), and other exotica such as the intergalactic medium, colliding galaxies, and Active Galactic Nuclei......and so sometimes it is surprising how few workers are actually left to work on more "homely" topics such as the local galaxies. I have been recently looking into OB associations, which are an extremely important aspect of our own Galaxy, and the literature about them since 1999 is extremely small; I have about 15 papers downloaded onto my computer, and that's about it!!
As another example, the reasonably accurate characterization of the nearby Groups of Galaxies had to wait till the late 1990s before there started to be meaningful amounts of work.

Regarding the question of the characterization of our Galaxy's spiral structure, I could do no better than to paraphrase a section of a paper by Robert A. Benjamin in the symposium "The Galaxy Disk in Cosmological Context";
Benjamin states that the IAU Symposium No. 106 on the Milky Way, which was held in 1983, marked the end of the study of our Galaxy's spiral structure as a long-term and sustained effort by astronomers.
This may have been partly because of a trend towards a greater fraction of extra-galactic work, as can be seen in the greater relative numbers of papers published on external galaxies.
But it was also because - to a great degree - all of the work done never resulted in a really plausible spiral structure that most people could agree on. There is a diagram of Milky Way spiral structure in Bok and Bok's "The Milky Way"(5th Edition) which was published in 1981, and the small handful of papers published on our Galaxy's spiral structure since 2004 do not improve on this diagram much!!!

cheers, robert

P.S.
I just happened to download some ~10 scientific papers relating to spiral structure of our own galaxy, all of them from the last 8 years or so. There isn't much else published in this period.
I might put some of the recent plots of spiral structure in this thread , if I "get a round tuit"

madbadgalaxyman
24-05-2012, 09:11 AM
As per previous post on lack of progress in discerning our Galaxy's spiral structure:
- "fashion" is an important feature of professional astronomy; that propensity of researchers to flock towards, or away from, a specific research specialty......indeed it is way cool to be an extragalactic astronomer and not so cool to be a Galactic astronomer!
- I detect, in the scientific literature, a sort of "sinking feeling" that perhaps the spiral structure of the Milky Way may never be accurately characterized
- I get the sense from my reading of the literature that "it would be real nice to know what our Galaxy looks like if it were seen from above, but what does it matter anyway, as its spiral structure is only a sample of one object". So, comparative studies of various spiral galaxies seem to yield more insight and knowledge.
- there is no "clique" of astronomers who work together on spiral structure in the Milky Way. The complex social structure of cliques and research groups also drives research. (the "band of brothers" or the "band of sisters" effect; which of course can also have the negative side-effect of focusing a group too narrowly on an overspecialized research topic)

On the other hand, studies of the bulge component of our Galaxy are still sexy:
as there is that sense of mystery caused by the difficulty of the problem (e.g. dust and disk-component contamination in our line-of-sight ; the visual blandness of a spheroidal component which conceals a great inner complexity and a complex evolutionary history )
, and - observationally speaking - it is still easier to study the individual stars in our own Galaxy's bulge than it is to study the stars in the bulges of other galaxies.

cheers, mad galaxy man