PDA

View Full Version here: : not happy with my bf1200 for the lunt 60

h0ughy
19-05-2012, 07:52 PM
A few years ago i jumped in and bought one of the first lunts available when they were offered for a "special " price. since getting it i have only used it a few times - and that was visual and very brief. I think i have used the lunt only 4 times since having it. well now i think i have used it more in the past two weeks then the whole time i have had it. i am imaging with a DMK41 mono and the dust moates are ruining the potential for the gear. I cleaned the corrector lens on the surface of the objective, the dmk, then i moved onto the BF1200 - OMG i nearly died. at this stage it is far too late to have it sent back to lunt to have it repaired but i cleaned it with the BINTEL corrector lens goop - jungle juice for the optics that stuff. it helped a bit but overall this BF diagonal is stuffed - i will put up with it for now for the transit but i will need to get it fixed. in the meantime i need to learn how to process with the crud i have:sadeyes:

koputai
19-05-2012, 08:09 PM
That third shot looks like it still has protective plastic film on the glass! If that's the glass, it's a pretty sorry story for their QC dept.

Cheers,
Jason.

h0ughy
19-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Jason,

i will be honest - i never looked at the diagonal as it had the barrels on it and it was sealed in the box and bags - and i only had it out a few times. it has sat literally stored for a few years. so really i am to blame that i didnt extract a digit and really go over the gear in a thorough manner. i still have a qhy10 BNIB waiting to go on my C11 hyperstar - that i got about two years ago now - i hope it works.

but as for the lens you see - its utter CR@P and i will be taking it up with the supplier next week

AndrewJ
19-05-2012, 08:48 PM
Gday Houghy

This is well known problem and has been discussed at length on the Yahoo Lunt forum.
IIRC, there was a batch of early filters that had sealing problems around the edge of the glass that allowed the coating to get contaminated.
Lunt replaced the units in the US under warranty.

Andrew

h0ughy
19-05-2012, 08:55 PM
thats great news - but i bought mine over 3 years ago - i wonder will they still honor that?

Hans Tucker
19-05-2012, 09:38 PM
I would think if they want to retain their reputation they should at least assess it and if it has the problem, replace it. Personally, as a buyer looking around for a Solar Filter I find what you describe very concerning.. I think I will strike out Lunt on my list along with Coronado...not many manufacturers left other than DayStar.

h0ughy
19-05-2012, 09:39 PM
well to prove the point further that it is the blocking filter - look at the composite image and you will see a slightly diagonal "horizontal line" that exists on the cr@p filter lens which has transferred to the image and i have photoshopped out the moates ;)

AndrewJ
20-05-2012, 06:19 AM
Gday Hans
I have to say i havent heard of this problem recurring.
It sounds like it was one bad batch at the very beginning.
(Like the PSTs with brown filters that rusted)
My B1200 is over yrs old now and shows no sign of breakdown
and my PST has the blue objective and also shows no degradation.

Andrew

AndrewJ
20-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Gday Houghy

Just saw on a few of the old posts re this, that the warranty is 5yrs, as long as you have genuine purchase info.
http://www.luntsolarsystems.com/product-registration.html
You may be lucky.

Andrew

frolinmod
20-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Right after the Venus transit contact Rikki at Lunt and arrange to return it for warranty service.

trent_julie
20-05-2012, 09:47 AM
G'day David,
Do you think there would be any value in taking flats to reduce the effect of the markings on the bf1200?

Trent

h0ughy
20-05-2012, 10:17 AM
how the heck to you take flats with a solar scope:question:

h0ughy
20-05-2012, 10:17 AM
thanks i will - but since i bought it through a dealer i will go the path first

allan gould
20-05-2012, 10:35 AM
apart from the blems introduced by the diagonal thats a nice image David. Glad you can get it fixed under warantee.

h0ughy
20-05-2012, 10:40 AM
thanks Allan, i am glad in one way i found out now - it could have been kept in the cupboard for a few more months/years and been out of contention;)

AstroFlyer
20-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Have a look at posts here (http://solarchat.natca.net/index.php/en/this-is-solar-chat/6-this-is-solarchat-/22088-ideas-for-capturing-flats-for-full-disk-images#22288) and here (http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=solar&Number=4924090&Forum=,f47,&Words=generating%20flats&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Main=4921553&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post4924090) David.
They explain generating flats pretty well.

Arek

EDIT: One (http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=solar&Number=4671340&Forum=) more.

h0ughy
20-05-2012, 11:52 AM
thanks - so i have a stack of vellum i might try to make a cover with that

Hans Tucker
21-05-2012, 09:45 PM
I must admit that I have given the Lunt brand another look. For around $2500 I could get a Lunt LS60 Tha/PT/B1200. What is the warranty on Lunt scopes? DayStar offer 5 to 10 years.

Kimbo
21-05-2012, 11:58 PM
Hi David,

The same thing happened to my B1200 blocking filter last year, I think it was about 3yrs old as well. I sent an email to Rikki Hocking at Lunt with some photos asking for suggestions on how to clean it. She told me to send it back & they would clean it or replace the glass. I was amazed at the turn around time, it came back looking brand new within a couple of weeks with no charge even though I had no proof of date of purchase. I couldn't fault their customer service & would recommend Lunt equipment in an instant. If you have an issue with your supplier contact Rikki & she will sort it out for you.

Cheers,

Kim

AndrewJ
22-05-2012, 04:22 AM
Gday Hans

The website still quotes 5 years, and thats whats on the paper warranty card that came with my unit as well.
The PT unit really does make a nice evenly tuned field relative to the tilt tuner in my PST ;-)

Andrew

icytailmark
22-05-2012, 02:25 PM
david did u have your scope covered? How did it get so dusty? I was nearly gunna buy a Lunt scope but after seeing this i have changed my mind. I dont understand why the glass optics are so bad after a couple of years.

h0ughy
22-05-2012, 03:08 PM
thanks Kim - going through the retailer at the moment so it should end u p the same result i hope

h0ughy
22-05-2012, 03:11 PM
mark 99.99% of the time it lives in its box wit h caps and silica

Paddy
26-09-2012, 11:22 AM
Interesting to find this thread. I've found that the view I'm getting through my Lunt Ha50 filter with B600 has been getting very hazy. When I checked the blocking filter it looked like this. I cleaned it carefully before this photo and it did make a big difference, but this can't be good. And the green meshy bit on the inside of the filter - I've not looked at it before, but is this part of the reticle or is it a problem?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Poita
26-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Had the exact same problem, Lunt took the BF back and cleaned and recoated it.

h0ughy
26-09-2012, 11:40 AM
yep that sthe problem i had. if you bought it from an australian dealer you should be able to get it replaced easily as they now have spare filters sent to the m from Lunt

Miaplacidus
26-09-2012, 03:45 PM
I was tempted by the Lunts, but after David's experience, and more recently Paul's, I'm glad I went with Peter's (Poita) Denk upgrade for my PST (previously afflicted by the notorious "rust"). This has been a very successful operation, and given my solar observing a new lease of life.

Merlin66
26-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Patrick,
The filter needs to be replaced...the coatings are breaking down.
Unfortunately both Coronado and Lunt "mini-erf" filters seem to suffer the same fate!

Merlin66
26-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Brian,
Consider a "real upgrade mod" for the PST - the 80mm mod gives spectacular results.
PM me for details.

Paddy
26-09-2012, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the replies all. The local suppliers say a replacement will take 3-4 months. I have yet to hear from Lunt, but I think I will ring them tomorrow. I will be sorely disappointed if I don't have a scope for the eclipse!

Paddy
27-09-2012, 07:44 AM
Contacted Lunt this morning and a new filter will be here in October. I am happy again. Thanks all for your help!:)