PDA

View Full Version here: : A really unpleasant encounter

DonB
15-05-2012, 09:47 AM
Last night I was surprised to see a ute in the parking area of a nearby nature reserve where I had been going to stargaze. I had a headlight with red night-vision bulb on, and as I set up my scope on a picnic table there I heard a rustling in the bush and saw a pair of red eyes coming towards me. It turned out to be a medium sized black dog, fortunately it didn't hassle me.

A couple minutes later the dog's (and utes) owner came out of the bush. The first thing he says to me is 'are you a copper'? That made me a bit uneasy. Then he says "What's that?". I had no idea what he was talking about.

Then he shines his torch in my face and walks up to me. I protested loudly, and told him he was blinding me; didn't matter. He comes up a metre away or so, still with the light in my face. :eyepop:

This bloke was 35-40 yrs old, rather scruffy looking, and I'm almost 70 so I wasn't about to confront him physically. Fortunately he backed off after a short time, saying he was just trying to figure out what the strange red light was.

He went back to his ute but didn't leave right away. I could hear him rummaging around for 10 minutes or so before I packed up and left.

He obviously wasn't fishing and I doubt he was out for a nature walk, and from his demeanor had the feeling he was doing something less than legal (a marijauna patch?).

Certainly made me uncomfortable and I won't be going back there.

inline_online
15-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Scary stuff. I've read posts from people on Cloudy Nights who take firearms with them to their observing sessions. Hopefully it will never come to that here.

The worst thing i've seen/heard was a loud noise coming through the bush towards me at Golden Grove observatory many years ago. When the two emus finally ran out towards me, they gave me a hell of a fright.

jjjnettie
15-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Scary stuff Don.
Take care.

blink138
15-05-2012, 09:48 PM
bloody hell don that would make the ol' freckle pucker up a little!
you know mate, its almost like the going scuba diving...... always go in pairs, sad but true
i am not a small man but a confrontation like that would be a real worry! almost to the point of "if i dont get in there first!.....well"
of course a dirty big dog is another worry
pat

DavidTrap
15-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Advice given to me by a friend who is a copper when we had some neighbours who we suspected were involved with drugs, was to ring Crimestoppers. They file the report in such a way that it will be followed through. It's too easy for your local cop shop to file a report in the drawer. She also said that "intelligent people" who think something sounds/looks fishy, are usually right. We were concerned about "retaliation", and her advice was these guys are more paranoid about their mates/competitors dobbing them. You can make the report to Crimestoppers anonymously or wait for a dob-in-a-druggie campaign by the police.

You'd have to wonder about this guy's logic anyway - why come out of the bush, shine a torch in your face and ask if you're a copper, if he were up to no good?

DT

Stardrifter_WA
15-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Hi Don, an unpleasant experience for sure. Just glad your still here to tell the story.

The bit about the dog reminded my about a night at Perth Observatory. I have had a long association with the Observatory and I ended up working there part time for almost 8 years, until I had a motor vehicle accident. Anyway, I worked all night at the Lowell telescope in the main dome. It was about 3am on a very still and cold night. I had finished my observing run and I walked downstairs. When I got to the bottom of the stairs I heard some rustling in the bushes of to my right. As nobody else was around, it put me quite on edge. Actually, I have to admit I was pretty much frozen to the spot. Then a roo jumped out of the bushes and bounded past me. I cr*pped myself, I can tell you. :eyepop: I had some interesting and unusual events happen at Perth Observatory, during my time there. It was a wonderful experience to be an amateur doing pro work, which resulted in my contribution to a few published papers.

DonB
16-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I've found a new viewing area that I feel is much more secure just off the street in the suburb where I live. It's not quite as dark but still pretty good.

Thanks again,

Don

steve000
16-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Hi Don,

Some people worry me. He probably was up to no good or high/drunk.

When I go fishing at night down at the boat ramp I always have my bright led torch on me and my filleting knife in my pocket and in its sheath but unclipped so it can be removed with no effort. You just never know what lunatic is going to turn up, an obvious defence can deter people who are opptunic, just be prepared to leg it as things can go bad. Good thing you are ok, might also pay to let crimestoppers know about your encounter and suggest they check out the area, but dont return to the area for a very long time if at all.

Its sad but thats how some people are. Maybe you know some friends or family who own a dark site, perhaps you can go there.

Steve

casstony
16-05-2012, 11:46 AM
One weirdo is unpleasant but there's always the risk that a carload of hooligans could turn up and beat you up just for fun - observing with others or in a private paddock that's not accessible to the public is safer.
There really are groups of youth who wander around looking for easy victims to entertain themselves with - I know someone who has dealt professionally with such people.

DonB
20-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Thanks Steve and Tony for your comments. I certainly will be much more careful about where I go to stargaze. I feel pretty comfortable about the place I mentioned close to where I live but I'd like to find something a bit darker.

Thanks again,

Don

Baddad
20-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Hi Don,

The first thing I want to make clear is that I am not into drugs.
I do know a little about them. Growers and distributers.

Growers usually have a dog or two with them. They give early warning of people in the area. Also it provides a, "Just walkin' the dog" . Excuse.

His question to you means he had something to hide. Also "What's that? (contraption)" (Is it a marijuana tracking device). He was quite concerned and I'd say surprised to have encountered you at that time of night. Concerned that he was being observed.

A close encounter of the bad kind. As advised earlier, report the suspicious issue to crime stoppers.

Cheers